• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ashes 2021-22

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Typical Poms can't get him out so start playing dirty! Get stuffed England!

Genuine slip there. Wood has tried his heart out all day and looks shattered. Robinson too, and both of them with no pressure from the other end a lot of the time.

Stokes looks broken. Leach is going at nearly 9s. Woakes isn't threatening enough. Root is bowling legside rubbish to try and stem the flow, and getting rightly told off for it.

England had a chance middle of the day when Warner, Smith, and Green all made terrible decisions (Labuschagne not far behind, I might add), and failed to capitalise.

They look gassed from the heat and while they'll welcome Broad and Anderson back for Adelaide, they're not spring chickens and might break if the pitch is flat enough.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Genuine slip there. Wood has tried his heart out all day and looks shattered. Robinson too, and both of them with no pressure from the other end a lot of the time.

Stokes looks broken. Leach is going at nearly 9s. Woakes isn't threatening enough. Root is bowling legside rubbish to try and stem the flow, and getting rightly told off for it.

England had a chance middle of the day when Warner, Smith, and Green all made terrible decisions (Labuschagne not far behind, I might add), and failed to capitalise.

They look gassed from the heat and while they'll welcome Broad and Anderson back for Adelaide, they're not spring chickens and might break if the pitch is flat enough.
I somehow doubt the AO deck will be a flat one.

They usually leave a covering of grass on it to protect the pink ball.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
You have heard of commentators curse ARF84? In this case, commenters curse. :rolleyes: :p But he'll have to show more consistency over the coming tests than he has in the past to win me over. Great start though.
Just hope he kicks on and turns it into a big hundred in the morning.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It went on for so much longer than just the wicket too. He was still going on about it overs later and then multiple times through the day. Warne insisted it was a half volley and didn't swing.

View attachment 12818

When they were summarising the innings later in the day Warne said: "Starc gave away a few too many runs and won't be happy..." and said that Cummins and Hazlewood were clearly the pick of the bowlers.

He then talked about Jos Buttler being the only English batter who looked any good but then didn't mention that he was out caught behind off Starc.

He has backed himself so hard into a corner of saying that Starc is rubbish and should be dropped and is completely unwilling to change his tune on it.

Sure, that first ball might get hit for 4 by a batter who is set and feeling comfortable, but guess what? An inswinger over 140km/h that swung substantially on the first ball of a test series is going to cause issues to lots of opening batters.

Geoff Lemon in The Guardian: "All of which were nothing compared to the noise after Starc’s first delivery. The tall left-armer has been a target of criticism from one or two former players whose opinions prove inflexible when infused with ego."

Spot on, Geoff. Lemon's always a delight to read, one of the better cricket scribes going around.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I somehow doubt the AO deck will be a flat one.

They usually leave a covering of grass on it to protect the pink ball.

The pink ball which does very little until the evening session. A couple of hot days in the field broken up by a swinging night session won't help them if Cummins wins the toss and decides to bat.

Adelaide is historically a road. Get through the first hour in the middle of the day and you'll make hay for the next session and a half. Evening is survival.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ heard him banging on about it last night when it was just speculation that Hobart had got it. Best total crowd for a Hobart Test 29K & best single-day ~12K I think he said. But as someone else in the box pointed out they've never had an Ashes Test so who knows how many might turn up esp for a day-nighter. Good luck to them & kudos to CA for not treating it as just a cash cow.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
^ heard him banging on about it last night when it was just speculation that Hobart had got it. Best total crowd for a Hobart Test 29K & best single-day ~12K I think he said. But as someone else in the box pointed out they've never had an Ashes Test so who knows how many might turn up esp for a day-nighter. Good luck to them & kudos to CA for not treating it as just a cash cow.
I loved Warney as a player but he's fast becoming an unsufferable flog as a commentator.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cricinfo reporting "a power issue affecting the broadcast compound at the Gabba", does that mean someone's pulled the plug on Warnie?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gees I hope Cummins gets MOM. Head a fair bet but I just think Cummins has been brilliant. His bowling has been fantastic but his captaincy also has been exceptional