• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ticketek still has listings in all categories I think?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep roger it has. Just checked. I imagine a lot of people would have spent a lot of their Rugby ticket allowance on Lions tickets this year also! ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I am probably going, pending clearance from Cyclo Traffic Control (i.e the big-arse calendar at home with all events and gate-pass requests on it).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Will never get an atmosphere like Lions tests, I been going to tests for 30 odd years and can assure you Lions tests have great atmosphere with their supporters, it doesn't take Einstein to work out why. Generally they have travelled from other side of world and here or in NZ/SA for a holiday as well as watching rugby. As a rule the supposters are older,tend to be real rugby people, and tend to be more successful (they need to be to afford and spend money on the trip) than your general Aus/Kiwi/Saffa bogan supporter that are part time rugby supporters that will annoy the shit out of us at games.
Anyway ,I not going to Sydney, but going to 2nd test in Wellington with a few mates, both Aus and Kiwi.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
possible squad from Ewen?
Robbo
Moore
Slipper - no way alexander starts after that last test.
Horwill
Simmons - assuming he'll back what he knows here, but i'd love to see pyle in.
Gill - hard to throw out hooper and with Kaino gone, i think we can get away with gill at 6
Hooper
Mowen - i thought he was excellent
Genia
Cooper
Tomane
Lealiifano - he's the kicker in aus now.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Jesse Mogg - a shining light when he came on.

TPN?
Kepu
fourth prop?
MMM - mckenzie will want his hardness.
Palu - could be a great impact player.
White - i don't think mckenzie will go with phipps.
To'omua - capable of playing that attack game plan
Tapuai - if not taps, i'll say Horne.
i also think morahan is a high possibility of being in the 23.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The two key appointments that McKenzie needs to make are his scrum coach and a kicking coach.

I think the backs coach is more important than those two, though the scrum coach is pretty important. The Kiwi scrummaging in the Super comp has not been all that impressive. Owen Franks did not look too comfortable this year and was beaten up by the French.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
possible squad from Ewen?

Tapuai - if not taps, i'll say Horne.
i also think morahan is a high possibility of being in the 23.

Taps was dropped by Link this year due to poor form as was Morahan. Morahan has signed for the Force he was so disregarded. I'll be absolutely shocked if we see either and I suspect Beale will be on the bench with Folau at 15 and Mogg at 14 (Mogg will be the 2nd fullback winger).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Was wondering how many changes we will see selection wise from Link.

I suspect Slipper will get a lot more game time, and rightfully so in my opinion. Madness McMennimen should also be included as Link is a fan of him (I think I read). Apart from that I cannot think of many more selection changes.

Oh and that Cooper fellow may get a look in :p

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Part of our problem with potential scrum coaches is that candidates like Ox Heath, Andrew Blades, Ben Darwin etc. were never dominant in the scrum.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

This is why i don't understand the reason Patricio Noriega was let go.

In 2010, he was scrum coach, and we were crushing people in the scrums. That was when we drove the Bok front row back over their own 2nd row, and splintered the Welsh pack in Cardiff, smashed England, and embarassed the Irish scrum.

Where the hell is he? He should be getting paid whatever the hell he wants. I can't imagine Beiber would've been given much room to be a dick with Noriega around.

Get Noriega back, and I'd even ask Bernie if he wants an attack coach role for the Wallabies after Super rugby finishes each year.

Link, Noriega and Larkham would be a damn good coaching team.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Also that Saffa scrum was during the "sure, John Smit can play as THP" debarcle. Although IIRC he did have a grubber kick that was worth keeping him in the side for

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was wondering how many changes we will see selection wise from Link.

I suspect Slipper will get a lot more game time, and rightfully so in my opinion. Madness McMennimen should also be included as Link is a fan of him (I think I read). Apart from that I cannot think of many more selection changes.

Oh and that Cooper fellow may get a look in :p

Agree, Slipper will get more game time, and will probably start. Sio might replace Benny A on the bench, but remember the RC will be played under the new scrum laws. MMM for Douglas, or on the bench would be good. Am confident neither JOC (James O'Connor) nor Beale will start, and probably not in the 23. Therefore a couple of new starters, imo certainly QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 and probably Mogg at 15. Also HB to start in place of Joe Tomane. Joe will need to regain his defensive edge after Lions game 3. Biggest problem will be getting Reds and Brumbies players into training with the Wallabies in time for Link to make a substantial game plan for Bledisloe 1.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think Mogg, Cooper, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau are the only backline certainties. i struggle to see lealiifano not making the XV, particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) and beale aren't in.

mogg surely cemented his position. what a fantastic boot that man has. gerrardesque.

I think we'll see the most change in the scrum and would agree on slipper and sio, especially with the new scrum laws. benny alexander did himself no favours in test three.

horwill is obvioulsy going to start and i expect some change between douglas, MMM, and pyle. the reds and brumbies made a big push for pyle as i recall.
i don't know about palu either......think he'd be great as an impact player

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree, Slipper will get more game time, and will probably start. Sio might replace Benny A on the bench, but remember the RC will be played under the new scrum laws.

The new scrum laws will be interesting in terms of how they affect us. The predominant thought seems to be that it will help us by removing the power hit but the general consensus is that it will advantage players with the best technique.

Aside from Robinson, do any of our props actually have excellent technique?

At least scrum resets will decrease. I think this is the worst part of rugby at the moment. There is nothing more frustrating when numerous scrum resets take several minutes off the clock particularly at key times in a game. I think this is also an area where casual rugby fans get frustrated with the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Alexander survived the first two tests, and there appears to be a fairly convincing case that he would have survived the third under a competent referee.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alexander survived the first two tests, and there appears to be a fairly convincing case that he would have survived the third under a competent referee.

Whilst I think Slipper or Kepu are likely to be the starting THP in the next test, I agree with you that Alexander won't necessarily get the chop altogether.

No one knows for sure which props will benefit or suffer most from the new laws.

I think Kepu really advanced his cause during the Lions series mostly on the basis that he was actually useful around the park when he was on the field and made tackles and hit rucks effectively.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Braveheart81 the hit has been the saviour of australian scrums in the past. we've been able to compete as we get a well timed initial hit that sets us a good platform. The new scrum laws (which I very much agree with on paper) will not advantage the Australian scrum as it stands. It will likely mean we have to pick better props at the expense of some mobility.

T

Tip

1.Kepu
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Horwill
5.Simmons
6.MMM
7.Gill
8.Mowen
9.Genia
10.Toomoa
11.Folau
12.Lili
13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14.Mogg
15.Quade Cooper

16.Sio
17.TPN
18.Robinson
19.Pyle
20.Hooper
21. Palu
22. Ben Lucas
23.James O'Connor

Yes, I put Ben Lucas there. He is an ideal cover for Genia at 9, and can also play / defend 10 & 15.

It would also enable Ewan to comfortably use a 6/2 split which he has used with the reds in the past.
This means we no longer have a wasted bench spot

Ewan also said in his press conference that there would effectively be a fresh start for KB (Kurtley Beale) & JOC (James O'Connor), with no punishment given from him to these players. He would instead just lay out some protocols and kicking future offenders hard, in the balls.

Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.