• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think they are alreayd using their alloted 'lock topups' on Rodda, Philip and Swain.

ATM the 3 overseas is needed for Kerevi, Koroibete & Quade. This may be extended for the WC tournament.

Hopefully Kerevi signs a 'futures' contract here as potentially discussed so that Arnold can be used.

But the likelyhood of seeing Coleman resigned in Australia with an Rugby Australia top up? About zilch I reckon. Tonga it is!
I wouldn’t be chasing any of the o/s locks, I am more than happy with Rodda, Phillip, Swain and Frost, they have all played strongly this year. And for injury cover Neville, Holloway, Blyth and Hosea. Canham, Smith and McCauley are also progressing well. Stick with Kerevi, Koroibete and Cooper as o/s picks, it increases our rugby I Q in the backline to the same as the top test nations. It is what got us the two wins against South Africa last year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Listening to the commentary of Lyon v Glasgow and the commentator says about Jack Dempsey in his debut season, "you'd have to go a long way to find a better signing this season in the URC". :mad:

I will be so grumpy if Dempsey plays for Scotland. How can they offer more money for players like him, De Allende, Aki, Vermeulen? I'm amazed that URC pays that much.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Listening to the commentary of Lyon v Glasgow and the commentator says about Jack Dempsey in his debut season, "you'd have to go a long way to find a better signing this season in the URC". :mad:

I will be so grumpy if Dempsey plays for Scotland. How can they offer more money for players like him, De Allende, Aki, Vermeulen? I'm amazed that URC pays that much.

Leinster pay more than anyone if europe apparently & the sharks wont be far behind now

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Because they make more money? It's pretty simple.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not quite Aussie exodus but I wonder with Amanaki Mafi being left out of the Japanese squad he tries to represent Tonga at the RWC next year. Last test was 03/06/21. Currently 32.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not quite Aussie exodus but I wonder with Amanaki Mafi being left out of the Japanese squad he tries to represent Tonga at the RWC next year. Last test was 03/06/21. Currently 32.
If he played for Japan on 03/06/21 (I have it as 03/07/21) then he won't be eligible to change over until 03/06/24 (03/07/24), so he won't be eligible for them until after the world cup.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Eye to the future maybe, currently a few bigger names in recent years left out.

Him, Nakajima (the LHP), Matsushima the outside back. Not using big stohlberg either.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Leinster pay more than anyone if europe apparently & the sharks wont be far behind now
IRFU control everything with regards the 4 teams, but Leinster do seem to have the strongest squad and defiantly now have the best academy system. I don't think they pay more then French or English clubs, but they do manage players workload a hell of a lot better.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
IRFU control everything with regards the 4 teams, but Leinster do seem to have the strongest squad and defiantly now have the best academy system. I don't think they pay more then French or English clubs, but they do manage players workload a hell of a lot better.
Can you explain why IRFU are more cashed up than Wales? I'd assume they'd get similar ticket sales and both play in the URC/Six Nations so I'd imagine same TV rights money?

I know the Irish Government allows a huge tax break for people playing professional sport in the country, so that adds a lot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can you explain why IRFU are more cashed up than Wales? I'd assume they'd get similar ticket sales and both play in the URC/Six Nations so I'd imagine same TV rights money?

I know the Irish Government allows a huge tax break for people playing professional sport in the country, so that adds a lot.
Huge tax break for literally anyone willing to funnel some funds through them.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
start a petition for the Aus Govt? Important stuff
I think they've tried in the past but it has been a bit of a non-starter. Given there's no argument for it for AFL you'd probably need at least two of League, Soccer and Cricket pretty keen on it for it to gain any traction. The rise of women's sport may help though, there's so much competition for athletes across sports and around the world and good will in that space, that shaping it as support there might make it more workable.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah my comment was more of a joke, maybe if France & Japan start poaching all the darling NRL stars but that's fantasy stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they've tried in the past but it has been a bit of a non-starter. Given there's no argument for it for AFL you'd probably need at least two of League, Soccer and Cricket pretty keen on it for it to gain any traction. The rise of women's sport may help though, there's so much competition for athletes across sports and around the world and good will in that space, that shaping it as support there might make it more workable.

It's never going to happen because it would be a blanket rule and the majority of the benefit would flow to people who would already be spending their careers in Australia.

In Ireland we're talking about a relatively small number of people who all have strong(er) earning potential elsewhere.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

It's a good question, I think the Aviva ownership has a lot to do with it. It's shared ownership with the FAI rather then sole ownership like it did in the past. The operational cost on a stadium must be scary, as an apartment building manager the numbers spent yearly on required servicing is incredible, let alone looking after a stadium with a massive open/close roof on it.

The government tax break does make it easier to retain players, they are entitled to claim 40% of deductions back for any ten years of there career, that's why they either leave early and come back or wait till they have 10 years up there sleeve before taking a deal abroad. (Exception is Zebo, only had 8 years but got massive money from France, and had always wanted to play there as well)