• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

"The World Cup's the cherry that everyone's dangling in your face, the reason you'd stay in Australia, but personally, it's all about lining up things that are best value to me and to move my rugby and my life forward."

clearly the Wallaby jersey is 2ndry to him. I know this is a professional age, but if he isn't driven by the Wallaby jersey or the chance the win a World Cup, then he's not the guy I want playing in the test team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you're overreacting.........

He's just expressing how every player probably feels........

And he's also apparently just re-signed with the Brumbies........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He hasn't really said a whole lot. There's a whole lot of fence sitting and taking both sides of the argument saying it's a personal decision.

The journalist has used that as a chance to make the assumption that the RWC isn't that big of a lure.

And a lot of it is just in response to Kane Douglas' decision to leave...........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's kind of gone a bit both ways.

He says that the RWC is not the cherry dangling in his face (good mixed metaphor right there!) and says that it's about making the best choices for himself but then that choice is that he's decided to stay in Australia and continue playing for the Brumbies.

It seems like the classic 'just take it one week at a time', 'work on getting selected for the Brumbies' etc. etc. spiel.

He's probably desperate to go to the RWC but to get there, he's got to focus on smaller targets of playing well for the Brumbies. etc.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
both might have already had a tap on the shoulder from link ?;)

maybe, but i'd be surprised this early on. pyle when at his best last year was close to wallaby contention and if he returns to that form again in the next 500 days, he'd have to get in the squad. douglas is there already so i don't fully understand.
i think there is an element of them realising they have another 5-6 years in pro rugby. two years to make, in douglas' case, probably 50% more money and live in europe. return to aus a better lock and play in 2019.
missing out on a world cup in england is insane though.
pyle could have been tempted with the ability to qualify for france as well. he'd only need to play till 2017.

T

Train Without a Station

No, Pyle according to Rebels fans said he was close to Wallaby contention.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In thinking about this we need to consider the financial position of the ARU and the (Super) Unions as well. Given I doubt the proposed format of the S18 will appeal to consumers or broadcasters I doubt there will be any increase in rights dollars and could well be a net decrease, the likelyhood is firming that the ARU and state unions will be getting close to insolvent. Prudence would be to ensure that you have options and given the usual flood of players looking for cash after the RWC maybe getting in early is just that, prudent.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
In thinking about this we need to consider the financial position of the ARU and the (Super) Unions as well. Given I doubt the proposed format of the S18 will appeal to consumers or broadcasters I doubt there will be any increase in rights dollars and could well be a net decrease, the likelyhood is firming that the ARU and state unions will be getting close to insolvent. Prudence would be to ensure that you have options and given the usual flood of players looking for cash after the RWC maybe getting in early is just that, prudent.

my original thoughts when i started the thread. the fringe wallabies and never to be picked might get their super in early, ahead of the rush and before "more heavy lifting" to quote the current treasurer is required by the australian S15/18 teams

T

TOCC

I'm glad you asked - in no particular order: Pyle, Neville, Douglas, Skelton, Jones, Fardy, Coleman, Wykes.

And I don't get this lineout general shit. Really? We didn't seem to steal a lot of ball, which is where true lineout talent lies. Winning your own ball should be bread and butter, but taking a lineout where you don't know the call is far tougher.

The line-out is the is a locks bread and butter but you then name Skelton as a player to replace Simmons...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I struggle to see the lack of appeal. Is it weird? Yes. But we miss out on olaying 4 teams. Not overly different to now with the exception that we miss
Two games in a horrible time zone and instead gain games in our time zone.
I will dislike years when we don't play Argentina but I won't miss playing the dud teams in SA like the lions and the kings.
We now have 11 derbies as I think the nz v Aus games are derbies. Good crowds and good rugby - all effectively in our timezone.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I struggle to see the lack of appeal. Is it weird? Yes. But we miss out on olaying 4 teams. Not overly different to now with the exception that we miss
I will dislike years when we don't play Argentina but I won't miss playing the dud teams in SA like the lions and the kings.
We now have 11 derbies as I think the nz v Aus games are derbies. Good crowds and good rugby - all effectively in our timezone.

Just wait till you get to the finals series under this current proposal and realise that the likely outcome is that nearly all the finals games will be played in SA by virtue of the fact that there will be four deadbeat teams in the two SA conferences - Lions, Kings, Argies, ANO - five points guaranteed home and away. The chances of the final being anywhere else but SA will be very low indeed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

The current format has been declining for a few years. It is struggling to attract sponsorship in Australia as it is with more local product.

Indeed I must say even I have found my own interest waning in all the SA sides over the last few years, and that is coming from a point where I used to record every game to watch multiple times and analyse. I don't think I am alone at all in that with some GAGR regulars that I speak to regularly agreeing. My point being if we tragics feel that way then the chance of recent converts and the converted watching is low.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just wait till you get to the finals series under this current proposal and realise that the likely outcome is that nearly all the finals games will be played in SA by virtue of the fact that there will be four deadbeat teams in the two SA conferences - Lions, Kings, Argies, ANO - five points guaranteed home and away. The chances of the final being anywhere else but SA will be very low indeed.

Based primarily on this year, I don't agree in the slightest. All of the South African teams have been average this year. The Sharks a bit less average. On current form I reckon all of the New Zealand teams could knock off any South African team in South Africa. The Brumbies probably could too. South Africa will get their two guaranteed quarter finals, but whether they hold on to them is another matter.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I don't know the rugby systems, or the exact seasons overseas but different union comps around the world are being a threat - yeah?

There is 1 truly global sport in Australia were we have competed in and won a world cup and that is rugby.

Weather you are playing Subbies, or the Wallabies you can travel around the world, play and have a beer - AFL & ARL can't compete with this.

Yeah i want players staying in Australia, but I get the shits when i ring up Foxtel and I'm speaking to someone in the Phillipines, or I ring up a bank and I get Bangalore - so should we start taking a different view????

- Could a relationship with Japan be appropriate?
- Could sabaticals be included in contracts?
- Could there be ways the ARU and players can benefit from the off shore coin?

So looking at it in a basic way and putting it out there for construction and ideas, contracts still with the ARU but sub contracts can be negotiated underneath. Do we fight it, do we complain about it, or do we look for ways to benefit and grow stronger from it?

An possible example because i dont know - i have / will never watch a game of soccer, i heard something about an Asian Premier League this morning and that there was an Aust. team playing in it - not sure about the structure, mechanics or the financial side of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah i want players staying in Australia, but I get the shits when i ring up Foxtel and I'm speaking to someone in the Phillipines, or I ring up a bank and I get Bangalore - so should we start taking a different view????

What has that got to do with anything?

An possible example because i dont know - i have / will never watch a game of soccer, i heard something about an Asian Premier League this morning and that there was an Aust. team playing in it - not sure about the structure, mechanics or the financial side of that.

This is the Asian Champions League.

The top two A-League sides make it each year. It works very similarly to the UEFA Champions League only about 100x less prestigious.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What has that got to do with anything?

Well Foxtel broadcasts the rugby, but that is not my point. My point is Rugby is a sport played globally, we are now in a global economy, other industries are looking at ways to achieve better results in the global field - maybe we should look at ways / ideas of structuring, benefiting and improving what we have rather than complaining.

We have achieved something that only 2 other countries have - Held Bill Twice - but at this point in time IMO we aren't going forward.

NRL may have a War Chest - But we have a Global Sport and that they can't compete with.

This is the Asian Champions League.
The top two A-League sides make it each year. It works very similarly to the UEFA Champions League only about 100x less prestigious.
It's soccer and i take no interest.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
NRL may have a War Chest - But we have a Global Sport and that they can't compete with.
Not being a "global" sport has huge advantages. For starters, you can design and modify the rules of the game to your heart's content. For seconds, you can totally control the playing schedules, with all your games played at times that suit the broadcasters.

Rugby is certainly more international than loig, but it is a bit of a stretch to describe it as truly global. It is played in many countries, but only seriously and in some depth in 15 or 20.

"Total Rugby" is interesting to watch, but it rarely talks about the depth in the smaller countries that it loves to highlight.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
@Wamberal - some interesting points

Firstly, I like most posters would like to see the players playing in Australia, however, we are seeing more challenges to our code, and also our players now. So we need to look at them and find ways to benefit rather than keep losing them;

Not being a "global" sport has huge advantages. For starters, you can design and modify the rules of the game to your heart's content.

Interesting point - the idea about testing new laws in the NRC has been suggested - that suggest we can modify even though we are "global".

Here's another example of modification and some great rugby as well - watch the score board how many points for a try (5), a goal (3), a penalty goal (2). Well worth watching

Believe its a university comp in SA.

So different rugby laws being played in 2014, rugby like that will have crowds wanting to watch. It wasn't the change in points that created that rugby it was wanting to win - but shit it was good hey.

As I've suggested lets throw out out ideas as some of them may be picked up.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yet he was still one of the best Wallaby forwards on the 2013 EOYT..

If he was performing badly at test level then i would agree, but the fact is that he isn't, if we really want to have this debate about him doing dumb shit and bringing the team down then it would be reflected in the player ratings.. Have a look through the GAGR player ratings for 2013, use a basis for argument rather then some nonchalant opinion that he doesn't play with heart because of some of the penalties he gives away.

He is of a similar mould to Nathan Sharpe, now that is a comment i know is going to grossly offend some Force fans, but the reality is that Sharpe was selected for his line out prowess and because he had a relatively high work rate. He wasn't a damaging runner, nor would he hit a ruck and send players flying, but he made plenty of tackles, was involved at plenty of rucks and provided clean ball from the line out.

I for one think he should be selected in the squad but look at 2014 not 2013 form..

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The Breakdown - Georgina Robinson
SMH 8 May 2014

The Waratahs are fighting hard to keep Kane Douglas after it emerged the Test second-rower had agreed, but not signed his name to, a two-year deal with Irish province Leinster this week.

The Breakdown understands Douglas is willing to stay in Australia for much less money than the Heineken Cup-winning club is offering, but believes the Australian Rugby Union's proposal is just too far off what he is worth.

The saga, stretching well into its third month, is a crucial test case for the ARU's new contracting system for players of national interest. But it also highlights the conflicting priorities of the Super Rugby franchises and the union that bankrolls them.

The ARU's offer is a clear signal to the 24-year-old workhorse forward that, despite his seminal contribution to the Waratahs' campaign this season, he is still just a bench second-rower in the eyes of Ewen McKenzie, as the Queensland partnership of James Horwill and Rob Simmons is still preferred by the Wallabies coach.

Where it gets tricky is the Waratahs' strategic importance to the ARU.

McKenzie's boss, ARU chief Bill Pulver, has already declared this ''the year of the Waratahs'', ramping up the pressure on the underperforming NSW franchise.

A Super Rugby title will be difficult for coach Michael Cheika to pull off next year without his most consistent second-rower. After the departure of Rebels lock Hugh Pyle to France trimming local supplies further, Cheika will likely start looking offshore for Douglas' replacement if he does indeed head to the Emerald Isle.

How does Pulver balance his expectations on NSW against the constraints on his chequebook and the judgment of his national coach? An unenviable but important decision looms.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/kane-douglas-saga-highlights-plight-facing-cashstrapped-aru-20140508-zr6zu.html#ixzz318Hjtbyw