• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Argentina, Sept 14th in Perth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We need to inspire those great players who aren't performing, specifically Moore, Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Best way to do that is make them ride the pine.
Mowen has been effective at 6 but poor at 8, so let's put him at 6. Fardy deserves his spot and Douglas is showing he doesn't, so let's put Fardy at 4. Simmons is very reliable for the Wallabies right now so let's have him at 5.
Slipper is our best prop right now and can play at 3, so put him there. Give Sio a run on at 1. Moore needs to ride the pine, so let Fainga'a have a crack.
Hooper is energetic, enthusiastic and ineffective against a big pack that knows what their doing, where as Gill is always solid on defence while getting to breakdowns very quickly, so Gill at 7. McCalman is a solid 8 and I'd like to give him another chance.

Genia needs a good stint on the bench and I'd honestly be fine with Phipps or White at 9, and we have White, so have him at 9. I can't really split Cooper and To'omua, but I'll pick To'omua due to his combination with White.
JOC (James O'Connor) has done well on the wing and I want him to stay there. Folau guards his wing well and I want him at 14.
Lealiifano is solid at worst and our best goalkicker, so let's have him stay at 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs a break so let's call up Rob Horne and give him a run at 13.
We need a big boot at 15 and Mogg is the only provider. I also believe he wasn't bad against the All Blacks, but not great.

So my team would be (bold are changes, italics are position changes)
Sio, Fainga'a, Slipper, Fardy, Simmons, Mowen (c), Gill, McCalman, White, To'omua, O'Connor, Lealiifano, Horne, Folau, Mogg
Moore, Robinson, Alexander, Timani, Hooper, Genia, Cooper, Ashley-Cooper

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sio, Moore, Slipper, Fardy, Douglas, Mowen, Gill, McCalman, White, To'omua, Cummins, Leali'ifano, Kuridrani, JOC (James O'Connor), Folau

Fainga'a, Alexander, Kepu, Simmons, Hooper, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mogg

Give Moore a half then bring Fainga'a on later for some considerable game time, and to give the former a rest.

Slipper moves to where he's played all his Super rugby this year, to also accomodate Sio.

Genia needs a break

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We need to inspire those great players who aren't performing, specifically Moore, Genia and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Best way to do that is make them ride the pine.
Mowen has been effective at 6 but poor at 8, so let's put him at 6. Fardy deserves his spot and Douglas is showing he doesn't, so let's put Fardy at 4. Simmons is very reliable for the Wallabies right now so let's have him at 5.
Slipper is our best prop right now and can play at 3, so put him there. Give Sio a run on at 1. Moore needs to ride the pine, so let Fainga'a have a crack.
Hooper is energetic, enthusiastic and ineffective against a big pack that knows what their doing, where as Gill is always solid on defence while getting to breakdowns very quickly, so Gill at 7. McCalman is a solid 8 and I'd like to give him another chance.

Genia needs a good stint on the bench and I'd honestly be fine with Phipps or White at 9, and we have White, so have him at 9. I can't really split Cooper and To'omua, but I'll pick To'omua due to his combination with White.
JOC (James O'Connor) has done well on the wing and I want him to stay there. Folau guards his wing well and I want him at 14.
Lealiifano is solid at worst and our best goalkicker, so let's have him stay at 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs a break so let's call up Rob Horne and give him a run at 13.
We need a big boot at 15 and Mogg is the only provider. I also believe he wasn't bad against the All Blacks, but not great.

So my team would be (bold are changes, italics are position changes)
Sio, Fainga'a, Slipper, Fardy, Simmons, Mowen (c), Gill, McCalman, White, To'omua, O'Connor, Lealiifano, Horne, Folau, Mogg
Moore, Robinson, Alexander, Timani, Hooper, Genia, Cooper, Ashley-Cooper

You're throwing out a lot of bathwater with the baby.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
That was a big fucking waste of time tell us to get there at4 to watch the Wallabies train. Get there at 4:15 (traffic) players standing around the change rooms (all bar the badger and JOC (James O'Connor) who are down signing) and their back on the bus and gone at 4:30 wtf.....cheers aru

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Funny seeing the myths of size and alleged power coming out again.

Timani FFS. I am assuming those pushing this mean Sitaleki. Those people obviously didn't watch southern systematically destroyed in all facets of play on the weekend. Timani x 2 in the side and both made little ground right up until the last 10 minutes when running at 13 (that is THIRTEEN in case you missed where he was positioned) he made a huge run of 15 metres. In the tight he was constantly tackled at best on the gain line. As for the scrum the less said for the Rebels boys the better, though in fairness they packed against a Super level front row. The moral to the story is that Timani x 2 were very far from dominant in those aspects that those pushing for Sitaleki's selection would have him selected on, and at the lowest semi-pro level in Australia.

As I said on the SA V Aust. match thread, the problem with this side has little to do with personnel and everything to do with lack of technique, execution of basic skills and application to the task (such as working off the ball in both attack and defence).

Reactions: BPC

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Seems the boys from Foxsports have given up on the pro-Wallabies hashtag campaigns.

Or is this a ploy by them to give the Wallabies the motivation to win?!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
As often as not, the problem around the tackle/breakdown on Saturday night wasn't the size of the wallaby pack but their absence. Or if they did make it they were late and inaccurate. I can think of a couple of occasions only that an australian forward arrived in a timely fashion with venom and precision. Contrast that with the Boks or previously with the ABs - it is the rule, not the exception.

Of course, spreading the ball away from them and then expecting them to magically turn up - or even worse expecting them to somehow both catch and pass in the backline and then teleport back and across to the breakdown to retain possession - is only more obtuse.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
It's so simple.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Nick Cummins
12. Christian Leallifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Israel Folau

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Scott Sio
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Ben Mowen
20. Liam Gill
21. Will Genia
22. Bernard Foley
23. Tevita Kuridrani

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So can we first decide how we want to play first?

Good question.

Seems to me that we need to be making more ground around the ruck before getting our backs involved. Said backs must not run lateral but at angles and towards the line. Let's not try to run it out of our 22 all the time and force the Argies to play from deep in theirs.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
It's so simple.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Scott Fardy
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben McCalman

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Scott Sio
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Ben Mowen
20. Liam Gill

I'm not even going to check the backs, because we're fucked regardless if the forwards don't step up. But I must say, it's pretty bloody impressive that you've managed to purge the entire starting team of any reds players whatsoever. Kudos! Especially considering Slipper and Simmons were far from the worst performing forwards.

Sekope Kepu was one of the worst on the field and yet you've kept him? Timani had the shittest Club game on the weekend and yet he's fast tracked in at 4? Hooper did not prove to have any effectiveness against a big, brutal, physical forward pack but he's one that gets to keep his spot? How is that 'simply' the best team?? There is nothing simple about selections this weekend. A debatable team at best from me would be:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. Scott Fardy
6. Ben Mowen
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben McCalman

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. Scott Sio
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Kane Douglas
20. Michael Hooper

This isn't a matter of throwing half the team out and bringing in people who weren't even in the first training camp. It's about trying to figure out what isnt working and what has. Mowen was great at 6 against the BILs. 8 is a lacking position but McCalman at least has some aggression. Slipper plays 3 for the Reds and does so effectively. Fat Cat will have enjoyed his time off and knows where the team were headed after he left camp.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Has anyone heard if hooper has a case to answer after that tackle?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.