• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v England: Match III, SCG, Sat 16th July 7.55pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thinking more on this play that ultimately was the difference between winning and losing the series, it has been a hallmark of the Wallabies in recent years that we make these clanger errors that give away a try at a far higher rate than our opposition.

In a close matchup it can be and is the difference between winning and losing. You simply can't afford to gift a converted try to a team like England.

Now it was an unfortunate error from Lolesio but perhaps the missing ingredient is the awareness that it was our lineout throw around halfway so there's no cover in behind our backline. Losing the ball there gives no opportunity to recover. I remember a similar incident involving Folau Fainga'a potentially on the 2021 EOYT.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That's in part due the loyalty of their rugby community that sells out all the games played in Dublin. Italy can't take advantage of that cause their community doesn't support them buying tickets or watching on TV

It might be worth pointing out that the Irish national team combines players, and supporters, from both the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland. They play at Ravenhill (Belfast) as well as in Dubln. Some of their greatest have come from the north. Willie John McBride for example.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
It might be worth pointing out that the Irish national team combines players, and supporters, from both the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland. They play at Ravenhill (Belfast) as well as in Dubln. Some of their greatest have come from the north. Willie John McBride for example.
Don't think Ireland have played in Belfast since 08 and before that 1954. Ireland have played as many games in Chicago than Belfast.

Should be something they look at doing more though. Aviva looks like an amazing ground though, why would you want to...

Rae Rae

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

Ireland and North Ireland combined have a population of 6.8M

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Thinking more on this play that ultimately was the difference between winning and losing the series, it has been a hallmark of the Wallabies in recent years that we make these clanger errors that give away a try at a far higher rate than our opposition.

In a close matchup it can be and is the difference between winning and losing. You simply can't afford to gift a converted try to a team like England.

Now it was an unfortunate error from Lolesio but perhaps the missing ingredient is the awareness that it was our lineout throw around halfway so there's no cover in behind our backline. Losing the ball there gives no opportunity to recover. I remember a similar incident involving Folau Fainga'a potentially on the 2021 EOYT.
Yeah bit rough on Lolesio (he should have gone harder at the ball) but we titted up the lineout and if we had of got that right we wouldnt have put him under so much pressure.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
So it seems we were a little lucky not to lose Kerevi to a red card after the attempted tackle on genge - head clash in which Kerevi came off 2nd best when he was poleaxed in the tackle. Missed by the ref and no interruption by the TMO.
Photo doing the rounds of English media.
Careful what you wish for…

View attachment 14121

View attachment 14126

I don't know, that second photo looks like Genge has run head first into a stationary Kerevi...
Are there photo's of Lawes 'tackle' early in the second half (on Porecki?) also doing the rounds in the English media?

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't know, that second photo looks like Genge has run head first into a stationary Kerevi...
Are there photo's of Lawes 'tackle' early in the second half (on Porecki?) also doing the rounds in the English media?
I haven't seen any

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Doesn’t matter. Under the clusterfuck that is the current tackle framework all responsibility lies with the tackler in a head clash. We saw that with the yellow and red in the Ireland v ABs games. Both very similar passive tackles.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
From Eddie's book on leadership, a massive sledge on Australian passion - I suspect he might have done something similar for the third match this year too...
Eddie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.