• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs British and Irish Lions - 1st Test (Brisbane)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Just watched the classic match on my laptop. Latho seems to still have all the skills.

Classic ANZACS won 29-5. A good omen for tomorrow?

Can still kick a better clearing punto/torp than any of the 23 running out tomorrow. Classic Latho should be playing at 15 tomorrow! hahaha.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
just watched the 2001 replays, quick question.

what happens with the national anthems?? Will there be any? If so, just australia?

they'll play the australian anthem
but to rile up the welsh scots and irish they should play 'god save the queen' at suncorp> wow id love to see that haha

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
I believe the selection of berrick Barnes at 15 is a big mistake and even at 10 would be a big mistake (just have a look how well the Reds have gone without him and how well the Tahs play without him).he is not in our top squad in any position.

do yourself a favour and watch the australia vs england game 2012
berrick is a fantastic choice at 15
-good under the high ball, great defense, good boot, good pass either side, ability to link with wingers, can provide guidance to falou
he is everything we want at 15
judging by your statement im guessing you only started watching the reds as recently as after barnes left and you obviously havnt watch the full tah games this year

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
do yourself a favour and watch the australia vs england game 2012
berrick is a fantastic choice at 15
-good under the high ball, great defense, good boot, good pass either side, ability to link with wingers, can provide guidance to falou
he is everything we want at 15
judging by your statement im guessing you only started watching the reds as recently as after barnes left and you obviously havnt watch the full tah games this year

One game hardly justifies him being 'a fantastic choice at 15'. Don't get me wrong, I think Berrick is a player who lifts when he puts the gold jersey on regardless of position, but he has hardly played any rugby this year, let alone at fullback. So I think its fair to question that decision. We have alot of players in the backline that are absolute proven performers but have played very little footy in their starting wallaby positions this year. I hope it works out tomorrow because I'll be there rooting (ha!) for the boys for all 80 minutes.

Go the wobs!

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
just watched the 2001 replays, quick question.

what happens with the national anthems?? Will there be any? If so, just australia?

getting a tad excited, think a bit of wee sneaks out every now and then!

The Australian national anthem will be played but zip for the guys in red! Was just watching the 97 documentary "living with the lions" showcasing their south african tour.....they just stood there like a bunch of melons while the bok anthem was played.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Just watched the classic match on my laptop. Latho seems to still have all the skills.

What match is this? - I know nothing! Any chance you could post a link to the match? I need something to occupy my mind and help me get through the longest day in history.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It has rained all day unfortunately. The forecast is better for tomorrow, let's hope the ground is dry. Otherwise the Loins will kick to the corners all night.

Deans has certainly taken some chances, but I would have picked the same team, under the circumstances.

I will be very surprised if there is not some interchanging of position between Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor), and Lilo - Lilo is a bloody good ten, let us not forget.

I have said it before, it all depends on Palu. If he is close to his best, we will win, because I reckon there is not much otherwise between the two teams.

Seriously think that Palu is that much better than Heaslip and he can influence the game that much?

For mine he is no where near our most influential player, which goes something like:

Genia
Hooper or Gill
Horwill

Palu might then be in the same bracket as the likes of Moore, Robinson and JOC (James O'Connor).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Today's email from the ARU says the smartphone thing is only for people sitting in sections 314, 315 and 316 and you need to download a QkR app. So must just be a test run. Doubt it will work overly well though as anyone not on Telstra network will have bugger all connectivity inside the stadium anyway.

Thankfully I am sitting in 334 so will be going to the full strength bar all night.

I am in 316 but on Optus which never has coverage. Damn!

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Palu would be top 3 most influential players, last 10 mins Lions have the ball down by 2. Who is going to do the big hit that disrupts the ball? My money would be on Palu.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting observation, I guess those stats must be wrong that say he played 80 mins the the last 3 Wallabies matches.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Where did you get that from mate?

For Sully, and jollyswagman:
I just Googled "Classic ANZACS rugby", and to my surprise it was streamed live, I guess by Triple M, the sponsors of the Classic ANZACS v British Lions 15 match. Looked to be a reasonable crowd at Ballymore on such a miserable night!

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Australia has pulled off some amazing results after being written off.
Hoping
1) The Wallabies will back themselves given their record against the Welsh and the # of Welsh players in the team.
2) The Wallabies realise the amount of pressure they can apply on the Lions just by winning tonight.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

He stood out, didn't he? The next best were Drahm and Croft and then Grey. Larkham some moments but looked to take it pretty easy. Think he dislocated his finger at one stage.

Helps that Latho stays in shape though - exercises pretty much every day I have heard.

On the other hand Marto obviously doesn't - he was so bad I could have sworn he was drunk! His positioning at fullback was crazy.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm on edge here as an expat living in the UK. Will be watching the game tomorrow surrounded by Poms. I'll be wearing the old school wallabies jersey with pride though.
Is anyone else nervous about the Lions coming out and surprising us by throwing the ball around and running it? It could catch us off guard. I still have nightmares about that game at Twickenham in 2010. Not to mention the opening game of the 2001 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.