• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Herald's coverage of Rugby Union is starting to tip over to absurd. No one with any even mild understanding of the games problems in this country would think our issues will be solved by sacking Eddie. I'm not entering a discussion of whether that's the right or wrong thing to do, but it is not the starting point for what needs to be change. We have many more structural issues that require our attention. To run that position as an editorial betrays their lack of interest for the game, and interest in stoking further and further negative attention about the code.

An article like this is pointedly ludicrous: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...cat-and-mouse-with-media-20231017-p5ecz8.html

No part of it involves any legitimate criticism of Jones. It is a bizarre pseudo psycho-analysis body-language piece that should not be taken seriously. Look past the sentiment and the headline (which are often reasonable and you'd be in your rights to agree with) and read the substance of many of their pieces. It is not serious journalism. This forum is full of much more balanced, considered and effective writing.

None of this comment is to be read as to suggest the point behind the commentary (that Jones has done a poor job) is invalid. But the words used to get that point across are just not serious.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Isnt that SMH article just a report on what he said? Doesn't seem like she was trying to criticise him.

Pretty sure journos don't get to write their own headlines.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Herald's coverage of Rugby Union is starting to tip over to absurd. No one with any even mild understanding of the games problems in this country would think our issues will be solved by sacking Eddie. I'm not entering a discussion of whether that's the right or wrong thing to do, but it is not the starting point for what needs to be change. We have many more structural issues that require our attention. To run that position as an editorial betrays their lack of interest for the game, and interest in stoking further and further negative attention about the code.

An article like this is pointedly ludicrous: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...cat-and-mouse-with-media-20231017-p5ecz8.html

No part of it involves any legitimate criticism of Jones. It is a bizarre pseudo psycho-analysis body-language piece that should not be taken seriously.

Nah, Eddie created this mess and now he has to endure it…

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Nah, Eddie created this mess and now he has to endure it…
Yep, but there are plenty of reasonable ways to put him in the shit that don't involve bitter commentary which equates to personal attacks. The Roar Rookies are covering this saga far more effectively and impressively than 9 media's professional journalists. That is what frustrates me.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yep, but there are plenty of reasonable ways to put him in the shit that don't involve bitter commentary which equates to personal attacks. The Roar Rookies are covering this saga far more effectively and impressively than 9 media's professional journalists. That is what frustrates me.
Look at it another way. Multiple outlets have confirmed it and the Herald are doubling down, so they're obviously confident they have something here.

With Eddie being so coy, it calls in the question the Journos integrity. I too would get shitty with someone if I had evidence to prove what I was saying was the truth.

In any event, Eddie has had plenty of chances to change the narrative to be more in his favour and he's constantly failed to do it.

If Eddie didn't make a rod out of his own back last year at that fan, I'd almost give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, he did something similar when he joined England rugby didn't he?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

No…

Their job is to hold people to account, and not act like sycophants in exchange for team selection scoops.

It doesn’t help when Eddie has acted hostile towards them and, at least in their eyes, continued to lie and avoid addressing certain questions.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
No…

Their job is to hold people to account, and not act like sycophants in exchange for team selection scoops.

It doesn’t help when Eddie has acted hostile towards them and, at least in their eyes, continued to lie and avoid addressing certain questions.
That's great, but why didn't they ever hold the previous coaching staff to account?

And it also doesn't help when journalists try and be pundits and give their opinions on everything, and then want to be viewed as impartial

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes and they can hold him to account without resorting to personal attacks. At no point have I suggested they don't criticise Eddie. I take issue with their focus on personality over substance. Their writing is all opinion, all the time. Good reporting also involves taking a balanced look and trying to provide insight into what he is attempting to do. This has never been attempted.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes and they can hold him to account without resorting to personal attacks. At no point have I suggested they don't criticise Eddie. I take issue with their focus on personality over substance. Their writing is all opinion, all the time. Good reporting also involves taking a balanced look and trying to provide insight into what he is attempting to do. This has never been attempted.

I think you’re the only one taking it personally…

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I am so sick of hearing how the very survival and success of our sport rugby is determined by how the wallabies go at the World Cup. If that's our administrators and national coaches key strategy to fix Rugby it is wrong plain and simple. France and Ireland just got kicked out in the quarter final. Both teams have been building for 4 years, Ireland who operate under the much discussed and benchmarked centralized system lost in the quarters. France who has the richest club system in world rugby lost in the quarters. Am I getting thru to you all yet. Coaches such as Eddie who run the line of 4 years planning and it takes 6 years to build a world cup team are full of shit and sprout this to make like they are in control of the situation and serve their own personal agenda. Continuity by only selecting players from Super rugby is shown to be bullshit by the performance of South Africa who select their squad from the best available players regardless of where they play their club rugby. 9 months wasnt enough time for Eddie, bullshit, the Coach of Fiji made the Q finals with less time than Eddie and a lot less resources. Borthwick only had 6 weeks more than Eddie and England are in Semi Finals.
Rant over, could go on forever but basically every time Eddie or anyone in Australian rugby argues for centralization or reduce Super teams to fix our wallaby issues and to help win the World cup, are simply expressing that view for their own agenda. There is zero proof to support it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's great, but why didn't they ever hold the previous coaching staff to account?

And it also doesn't help when journalists try and be pundits and give their opinions on everything, and then want to be viewed as impartial

Really? You don’t think they did?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Look at it another way. Multiple outlets have confirmed it and the Herald are doubling down, so they're obviously confident they have something here.

With Eddie being so coy, it calls in the question the Journos integrity. I too would get shitty with someone if I had evidence to prove what I was saying was the truth.

In any event, Eddie has had plenty of chances to change the narrative to be more in his favour and he's constantly failed to do it.

If Eddie didn't make a rod out of his own back last year at that fan, I'd almost give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, he did something similar when he joined England rugby didn't he?
Yep. Think it was two weeks later he was goooone.

He's done this to himself. Trying to be apologetic about the airport presser and how he should have given himself an upper cut felt like a kid trying to own the minor fuck ups to soften the attack on the major ones.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Discipline, selection, a flawed system: Why the Wallabies have been so poor​

It's also a very different situation now. Rennie had a year to go on his contract and it was widely considered that there was no prospect on him getting extended beyond that.

2020 was a weird year with COVID, 2021 was reasonable in that we beat France 2-1, beat South Africa and Argentina twice and finished the year with 7 wins out of 14 games.

2022 was where things went pear shaped and we won 5 out of 14 games including losing the series to England, getting flogged by Argentina and losing to Italy.

Eddie Jones talked up how well we might go to pretty outrageous lengths, made some pretty bizarre selection decisions and achieved absolutely putrid results. He's also 1 year into a 5 year contract. It shouldn't be any surprise that the media reaction to Eddie Jones right now is very different to what it was like for Rennie.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Comparatively not at all. There was no heat on Rennie when Taylor and Wisemantel picked up stumps out of nowhere, he was never grilled as to why James O'Connor went from starting to out of a 31 man squad within 2 days

There is a huge undertone of personal vitriol with most of this commentary around Jones

I’m pretty certain he was questioned about JOC (James O'Connor), a player who played poorly and as Rennie explained failed to fulfill his duties, and then was replaced by non-controversial options, and then not even considered by Eddie…

Not exactly a comparable example.

Top Bottom