• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys / Under 18s 2019

Discoweb

Frank Row (1)
Tried to watch live stream but stopped at half time in the main game, can Australian Rugby not even get this simple thing right?

Any news on the actual team selected as I understood it was being announced directly pretty much straight after the game ?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australian U18 looking good albeit v a scratch NZ Barbarians, 5-0 & unlucky to not score just now but have an attacking scrum 10m out. Turnover ball, NZBaas clear to their 10m line.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus win another penalty right in front, this time they'll take the three. Gunna need them 'cos it's a strong wind they'll be playing into in the second half.

Kick is good, 8-0 HT.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another penalty inside the NZBaa 22 & almost in front. Aus 9 seems to want a scrum but over-ruled by his 10 who makes it 18-0.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus 9 uses the goalpost as a blocker & scores against the padding, clever lad. 25-5 & NZBaa have barely fired a shot this half, certainly haven't used the wind at all well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Try-of-the-day from NZBaa 11, started from his own 5m line. Aus defender unlucky with the bounce from the chip-ahead but a class finish. Aus score from the restart off coughed-up ball, Aus 30-17 & time almost up.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I know there are a few against picking the league boys, but Jack Howarth is one that should be given a shot. I like to think that by getting experience within the Aussie Schools Rugby setup, they will be more inclined to return to rugby. Still only 16 or 17 and likely to stick around for BBC next year before heading to the Storm.

The lads have played a couple of good games, Friday’s game against NZ should be a cracker.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlights of NZ v Fiji Schools:

Included mainly for the Blair Murray try from ~3:10 in. The kid is already being compared to Christian Cullen: there's a video I can't link to showing Murray's effort & the one Cullen got v Wobs in '96 & the similarities are quite uncanny.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Highlights of NZ v Fiji Schools:

Included mainly for the Blair Murray try from ~3:10 in. The kid is already being compared to Christian Cullen: there's a video I can't link to showing Murray's effort & the one Cullen got v Wobs in '96 & the similarities are quite uncanny.
Do you know if he played NZ schools last year over here against Aust & Tonga?

His energy , running style and dimensions remind me of Damien MacKenzie.

The young fella playing 11 for NZ Barbarians is of a similar mould , great instincts and speed to burn.

Nice balance with size and power of former Brisbane SHS player Gideon Wrampling who scored 3 against Fiji for NZ coming back against the grain.

Aust U18’s will need to be very good defensively and limit turnovers to be in with a chance.

B

Bobby Sands

I know there are a few against picking the league boys, but Jack Howarth is one that should be given a shot. I like to think that by getting experience within the Aussie Schools Rugby setup, they will be more inclined to return to rugby. Still only 16 or 17 and likely to stick around for BBC next year before heading to the Storm.

The lads have played a couple of good games, Friday’s game against NZ should be a cracker.

Joseph Suuali on the wing is signed to the Rabbits.