• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think the smaller grounds concept you see in English Premier football proves a packed out ground, regardless of numbers, beats an empty cavernous stadium any day. I believe the Reds should bite the bullet and move back to Ballymore and rebuild their supporter base. Would look good for TV too. Reds can always use Suncorp for bigger games such as finals. Personally I have found going to Suncorp lately or watching on TV very depressing compared to seeing crowds supporting the other codes.
I wonder if pricing based on who we play could work to ensure sellouts.

Maybe $10 tickets for poor drawing teams and bump it up to $50 for the best drawing teams, this way you may get a full crowd each week.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
... with a better placed footbridge Wilston station would be a significantly shorter walk.
Yep. Can Buildcorp do bridges? :p

bally_resize_66.jpg

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the smaller grounds concept you see in English Premier football proves a packed out ground, regardless of numbers, beats an empty cavernous stadium any day. I believe the Reds should bite the bullet and move back to Ballymore and rebuild their supporter base. Would look good for TV too. Reds can always use Suncorp for bigger games such as finals. Personally I have found going to Suncorp lately or watching on TV very depressing compared to seeing crowds supporting the other codes.
You know good way to rebuild a supporter base? Start winning.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I like it but it made me think after reading @Cymru recent comment that it is about success. Generally we see Premier league Soccer on TV which are the team with traditional, current and rising success as well as a level of fame for a lot. If you find a League 1,2 Professional team they quite often only have a half full 15,000 seat ground...

Loving the update pics as they get posted. I could look at stadium pages all day on Instagram

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
And the first game at Ballymore will be Wallaroos vs Black Ferns on June 29.
Only kidding. Rugby Australia has decided to play that match at the Dolphins rugby league ground.
On a Thursday night.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And the first game at Ballymore will be Wallaroos vs Black Ferns on June 29.
Only kidding. Rugby Australia has decided to play that match at the Dolphins rugby league ground.
On a Thursday night.

lights aren't up to it at Ballymore yet.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah I’m confused by it as well, it makes no sense why they couldn’t have made it an afternoon game.

Is there a reason they couldn’t play it on Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Super Rugby finals finish the weekend before and TRC hasn’t started yet, so all the time-slots are free.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In March, the project team reached these construction milestones:
  • Turf inspection for Field 3
  • Nursery visit for plants
  • Grandstand soffit sheeting, speakers and light troffers installed
  • Cleaning & colour tinting of the precast concrete elements complete
  • Irrigation and soil placement complete to the level 1 garden podium
  • Internal glazing & install progressed on both ground floor & level 1
  • Anchors installed to the grandstand seating slats for the seating
  • Removal of the existing northern mound & make-good works complete
  • Underground civil works around the player’s tunnel commenced
  • Tiered structure to the auditorium complete
  • Continue setting of the external facade blueboard in preparation for textured finish
  • Level 1 Murrayfield Room cold room and kitchen hood installed
  • Tiled prep works commenced to the level 1 terrace
  • Auditorium polished concrete floor polished
  • Locker kickers installed to both Wallaroos and Reds dressing rooms
  • Field 3 spoon drains and civil stormwater complete, subsoil drainage commenced
  • Commissioning commenced to both lift 1 & 2
  • Aluminium frames, glazing and doors installed to level 1 corporate suites
  • Complete removal of the remaining perimeter scaffold
  • Commenced framing to the level 1 ceilings
  • Continued services fit-off throughout ground floor and level

EBC7654E-0D2E-4C2C-B57F-3DE357450F96.jpeg

9985D092-5D5C-4970-97B1-1BF2CFAF9A4D.jpeg

F0B8211E-74C9-4BCA-BEE2-A390BFB25825.jpeg
62997610-4B63-4CA0-B763-046FD28E8C86.jpeg
7C2034F1-FF40-4501-A463-4C89CC96F42D.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Blight Rayner have designed some visually stunning buildings in Brisbane; if anything my concern was they had weighted form over function too heavily given the budget.

That being said, the best feature of Ballymore is the natural scenery and landscaping

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
...a better placed footbridge Wilston station would be a significantly shorter walk.
I've walked from Ascot train station to Ascot Racecourse with a lot of well dressed Poms for a mid-week race meeting, official distance is 800m and it's listed as a seven minute stroll. Wilston station to Ballymore's about 500m and a straight, easy walk, it's a no-brainer.

A 500ish metre walk for spectators isn't a big ask. Many people walk from the Brisbane CBD to Suncorp, as others do from the Melbourne CBD to AAMI/MCG. There's always a trail of spectators from and to Central Station for Sydney sporting events at Moore Park, that's at least 1.5km (alleviated by lots of pubs...).

What happened to the old bridge across Enoggera Creek on the north-west corner? It would've run straight down from Murray Street. Very handy for Jeeps supporters to go back to their Finsbury club house on match days. There was a bridge, there should be a bridge.

BUILD THE WILSTON STATION/ENOGGERA CREEK BRIDGE, NOW!

Last edited:

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
If the opening is still scheduled for this week, will it be a public opening? There doesn't appear to be any media associated with this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the opening is still scheduled for this week, will it be a public opening? There doesn't appear to be any media associated with this.

there was a public launch planned at some stage but not sure where it is at.

There is an official opening on Thursday this week though with very very important people

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting, hopefully the exclusivity of the contract doesn’t prevent them from bringing in more food trucks from independent vendors for larger events outside of the scope of what the QCC can cater for.