• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
“With the addition of things like a café and food trucks on game-day and at major events, or for weekend markets and pop-up stalls, it will create a family-fun festival atmosphere."
Maybe they read my suggestions from a few years ago on how to make NRC work ;)

I have long thought that having matches on the main field and an area with food trucks and micro-breweries trucks would be a great plan.

I think you would get people through the gate who dont even want to watch the rugby, think of the Adelaide Oval test matches, there are thousands in hospitality tents who dont see a single ball of the game live.

This is a great decision by QLD Rugby and I hope they dont price themselves out of business, not all supporters are private school bankers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The plan is to have a hard standing at the creek end of the field where the old stand was, this will be where food trucks etc can park

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Interesting to see, it's definitely a model that worked well for West's. That Cafe is always full to the brim mid week.

Hopefully having this all in place will also allow for better nutrition to be provided to the players. I was told before Thorny, players had to go to KG to get subway or other food after a session as the kitchen either didn't make food or have enough of it. Which was terrible for recovery and conditioning.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_0851.jpeg

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All the QLD Govt heavyweights out for the opening
IMG_0852.jpeg
IMG_0853.jpeg

Importantly it seems the QLD Govt are supporting the development of the Eastern Stand

Quotes attributable to Queensland Minister for Tourism and Sport, Stirling Hinchliffe:

“Ballymore has been earmarked as a venue for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, so it’s terrific to see such an impressive redevelopment and advanced legacy infrastructure completed nine years out from the Games.

“Planning to upgrade the Eastern Stand is also well advanced, which will bring the ground closer to that 12 to 15,000-seat capacity.

“The stadium has witnessed some historic moments in Australian sport over the years, including the Wallabies clinching the Bledisloe Cup back in 1992. Now it’s over to the next generation of athletes to make the new revamped Ballymore their field of dreams.”

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Importantly it seems the QLD Govt are supporting the development of the Eastern Stand
“Planning to upgrade the Eastern Stand is also well advanced, which will bring the ground closer to that 12 to 15,000-seat capacity.
That sounds to me like they're costing out a design package, which will then be presented to the Govt. for possible funding. Doesn't seem like a done deal yet.

As Adam said though, it's a huge win for all involved that it's on time and on budget (especially when they had a flood to contend with two weeks after soil was first turned) - puts a lot of confidence in any future estimates, especially given the current climate in construction.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Hah, did they get the left over seats from the SFS stadium fit out? Looks bang on identical colours.
Be interesting to see it in person - the photo makes it look like it may have a green tint to it, making it more eucalyptus-like (which would be on-brand for an Olympic venue)

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Be interesting to see it in person - the photo makes it look like it may have a green tint to it, making it more eucalyptus-like (which would be on-brand for an Olympic venue)
They're grey, not blue :)
Don't fade as badly as the red ones on the eastern side I suppose. Would also mean a more neutral venue for Roar and NRLW games.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Wallaroos, Silver ferns game at Dolphins oval shows that playing fixtures at smaller grounds creates a better and more intimate atmosphere. If that game had been played at Suncorp with those numbers, it would have looked terrible on TV and would have had zero atmosphere. I'm looking forward to seeing these types of games at the new Ballymore. As someone who grew up going to games at Ballymore, it's fantastic seeing this venue revived. And good on QRU/RA for thinking outside the box and not just looking for an upgraded facility for the Reds only. A multi sport precinct was a fantastic idea and ensured government was on board.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
St George merged with Westpac, the Reds primary sponsor.

If it were a competing bank or one not aligned with the primary sponsor, I’m sure they would have painted over/removed it as they did with the Newstead Brewing sponsorship that was on the lower tier

Marce

John Thornett (49)
St George merged with Westpac, the Reds primary sponsor.

If it were a competing bank or one not aligned with the primary sponsor, I’m sure they would have painted over/removed it as they did with the Newstead Brewing sponsorship that was on the lower tier
I didn't know it. Commonweath was my bank when I lived in OZ lol

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For the first time in three years, the spiritual home of Queensland Rugby will host all deciders across nine grades including Men’s and Women’s Premier Grade, plus Colts 1, 2 and 3 on Saturday August 26 and Sunday 27 August.

Fans across the nine clubs are set to fill the new world-class facility, including the new 3010-seat McLean Stand, iconic XXXX Hill and redeveloped northern plaza.