• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As an aside, I haven't followed the A-League in many, many years and had no idea crowds had dropped that low. Pretty incredible considering where they once were and that, in many respects, they would still be considered one of the country's premier professional sporting competitions.

I feel somewhat less glum about Reds' attendance figures.
It’s the W-League and was a record for a standalone Roar W-League match

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
From what I've seen the roar fans were pretty happy with Ballymore yesterday:
1000012408.png

1000012409.png

Definitely doesn't hurt that their team got off to a winning start, but it's good signs going forward.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I was just looking at the schedule and looks like many 3pm games over the season....which would expose many of those fans to the viciousness of the sun. You wonder what sort of impact that has on attendance.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a great start. A bit of a cop out for a professional sporting org to be, in part, blaming the lack of rain

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've never understood the need to be on a perfect pitch. If you're the best it shouldn't matter that much.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I've never understood the need to be on a perfect pitch. If you're the best it shouldn't matter that much.
If I understood correctly from the article, I don't think they're asking for it to be perfect, but have concerns around the 'bumpiness' of the pitch - understandably, this isn't ideal for a sport where the ball spends a large amount of time rolling across the ground. Also an increased risk of injury, I guess

Really mustn't be too great if the Reds have also moved temporarily

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A professional Soccer team does need a good surface to be able to train properly.

Good point about the potential for injury. We've all seen players go down on dodgy surfaces. Remember the original Suncorp. That thing was taking ACLs for fun.

Seems like it's just copped a flogging. With the increased demand the justification is there for it to be improved which will be a good thing in the long run.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A professional Soccer team does need a good surface to be able to train properly.

Good point about the potential for injury. We've all seen players go down on dodgy surfaces. Remember the original Suncorp. That thing was taking ACLs for fun.

Seems like it's just copped a flogging. With the increased demand the justification is there for it to be improved which will be a good thing in the long run.
Yeah, I imagine the load over the last year or 2 while work has been going on has increased a bit on the training surfaces as well, not to mention it's not that long since the whole precinct was underwater.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Statement from the Roar.
Another article focused on the relocation of the men’s team from Ballymore to the Queensland Sports and Recreation Centre. I’d like to make it clear that this is a short-term shift in our men’s training venue and a decision that was made in conjunction with the Queensland Rugby Union. The Ballymore field that the men’s squad uses requires some rehabilitation and rest, and we look forward to returning to Ballymore in the coming weeks. The main stadium field at Ballymore that saw a fantastic win by our Roar Liberty A-League women’s team last weekend remains ready for match-use and will see two more exciting games at the venue during November. We thank the QRU for their ongoing support as part of the collaborative partnership between the two organisations.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

I disagree.. It's about replicating match day conditions as best as possible and all professional teams attempt this; ground condition impacts soccer more then others because grass can impact the speed of the ball, and obviously trajectory as well if its chopped up.

If the speed of the ball is impacted because of ground conditions, then you can't practice plays as you would on match day and adjust timing of runs, passes etc.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
To give some context Sully, at the Fifa world cup here in Aus, Fifa had complete control over the pitch. No other sport could be played on the surface almost a month out and only specific people could go onto the pitch on non match days ie those doing pressers at Suncorp couldn't go on.

Compare that to the French world cup, and the Stade De France still had football lines on it from a mid week football match.

I don't blame the Roar for moving and going forward it may so the limitation between co-sharing facilities.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The best team will win a game on a poor pitch, but will refuse to train on it due to injury risks, too many injuries and they may no longer be the best.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like Ballymore might have survived the 60 day review, outside of the changes made in regards to the Gabba/QSAC, the QLD Govt press release listed Ballymore under the category of ‘no change to previous plans’, despite the opposition of Hockey and Football fans

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Looks like Ballymore might have survived the 60 day review, outside of the changes made in regards to the Gabba/QSAC, the QLD Govt press release listed Ballymore under the category of ‘no change to previous plans’, despite the opposition of Hockey and Football fans
You have to wonder whether the proposed Victoria Park stadium eats into Ballymore's potential use case and funding allocation - not apples-to-apples given the proposed size and supporting infrastructure, of course.

Does seem a bit bizarre to propose a ~55k seat stadium about 800m up the road from another ~55k seat stadium though, but I digress.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You have to wonder whether the proposed Victoria Park stadium eats into Ballymore's potential use case and funding allocation - not apples-to-apples given the proposed size and supporting infrastructure, of course.

Does seem a bit bizarre to propose a ~55k seat stadium about 800m up the road from another ~55k seat stadium though, but I digress.
That's not going ahead but it kind of makes sense, Sydney Olympic park was great because multiple venues were close together and shared train lines.

My preference would be to build 80000 seat stadium with a roof at Victoria Park, this is big enough for all makes sports finals and can attract entertainment that is not cricket or AFL. I would then sell and demolish the Gabba for high rise social housing. This would begin as the olympic village then become housing. The sale of the Gabba would offset some of the new stadium costs.