• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ballymore Redevelopment

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Stephen Miles has said he's not building a stadium at Vic Park and not pulling down the Gabba.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Apologies if I wasn't clear - was talking in hypotheticals, noting it's been knocked back by the current government and unlikely to happen down the line.

This whole thing's been such a hullabaloo, no doubt to only increase in ferocity as we approach the games.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Won’t turn this political discussion, but I’ll be surprised if Miles sees out next election, thus I don’t think m this Gabba Merry-Go-Round debate is finished just yet.
Only viewing this from afar (and not following it especially closely) but there just seems to be a vibe to back what you're saying.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone know what they have to do to get the surface to Olympic hockey turf standard? Is it a concrete slab underneath etc?

And how long before the games does it need to be ready?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Olympic hockey on turf? Every major hockey competition I've watched the last few decades has been on artificial grass. Some sorta concrete slab first then roll out the astroturf.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Olympic hockey on turf? Every major hockey competition I've watched the last few decades has been on artificial grass. Some sorta concrete slab first then roll out the astroturf.
Correct, international hockey is played on astroturf with a thin layer on water on the surface. I don't know how good the drop in pitches are but any surface underneath will be destroyed by the amount of water sprayed on the field. They will also be doing two fields, as you are required to have one for warming up.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
By turf, I meant an artificial surface. Seems to be what the FIH called their surface

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Harlequins home venue - The Stoop, has hosted international hockey in the past.

I believe that is the model

Harlequins HC actually plays a few games on the Stoop a few times a year, they have managed to set up temp facilities to host FIH pro league fixtures. Wouldn't be allowed to use that set up for Olympics as they don't have a warm up facilities.

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like Ballymore might have survived the 60 day review, outside of the changes made in regards to the Gabba/QSAC, the QLD Govt press release listed Ballymore under the category of ‘no change to previous plans’, despite the opposition of Hockey and Football fans
It sat outside the terms of reference. Only venues funded by the State/Federal Government under their Olympics agreement were considered.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It sat outside the terms of reference. Only venues funded by the State/Federal Government under their Olympics agreement were considered.
As far as I can see, with the completion of the western stand, that means there are no plans to do anymore at Ballymore. It isn't in any of the planning docs etc, and hasn't been identified for any funding

This was from a year ago when the eastern stand was shut.

Have I missed something?
However, Ballymore could still host the Olympic hockey competitions in without upgrades, according to a State Development Department spokeswoman.
"The vast majority of the seating set to be used during Brisbane 2032 will be temporary overlay, with some use of the western stand," she said.

"The eastern stand seats are not required to meet the seating requirements of the hockey competition at the Games."

Cymru

Allen Oxlade (6)
As far as I can see, with the completion of the western stand, that means there are no plans to do anymore at Ballymore. It isn't in any of the planning docs etc, and hasn't been identified for any funding

This was from a year ago when the eastern stand was shut.

Have I missed something?
You've missed quite a bit. Rugby Australia have agreed to move the Olympic Sevens program to Ballymore if a similar high performance centre and stand is funded by government and built on the east.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I guess my initial question was based on there being a master plan in place and approved with the eastern stand still there.

Is there a design or plan for what RA/QRU would be seeking funding from government for?

Is it similar to the existing ~5k capacity stand or lower capacity option like the new western complex?

What capacity would we end up with?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess my initial question was based on there being a master plan in place and approved with the eastern stand still there.

Is there a design or plan for what RA/QRU would be seeking funding from government for?

Is it similar to the existing ~5k capacity stand or lower capacity option like the new western complex?

What capacity would we end up with?

QRU have a master plan approval for Ballymore under QLD Govt Ministerial Infrastructure Designations. Planning/approval process under a MID is slightly different to your standard BCC DA.

Essentially the Eastern Stand is approved to stay within the current ‘building envelope’, but they sought to include upgrades. I don’t think it would be a knock down and rebuild, rather an upgrade and infill under/against the existing stand.

overall capacity for Ballymore can’t exceed what it was previously, an approval requirement of the MID.

MID approval for site
IMG_6766.jpeg

Last edited: