• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Beale and Cooper in boozy incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Yes and no, I guess what I'm asking is if the ARU will do anything if the criminal charge doesn't stick. Does the ARU code of conduct not cover a stricter measure of acceptable behavior?

surely a clause such as 'bringing the organisation into disrepute' is throwaway line applicable to cases like this..
The other issue may be, whether Beale can challenge any ruling/penalty by the ARU if he is found innocent at a judicial/police level.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I see what your saying, I just think its two separate things, police investigate breaking the law, ARU investigating their own code of ethics, the two while related, shouldn't be influenced by the other if that makes sense

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Has he been charged as well?

Is the camera smashing confirmed?
I thought that QC (Quade Cooper) snatched the camera, but then returned it.
If somebody was obrusively waving a camera (mobile) in my or a amte's face I would grab it too.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I see what your saying, I just think its two separate things, police investigate breaking the law, ARU investigating their own code of ethics, the two while related, shouldn't be influenced by the other if that makes sense
But the ARU needs to have all the facts, which the judicial process should bring out.
And supposing the judicial process found that Beale &/or Cooper were totally exhonerated.
The ARU would look fairly stupid penalising them for been out late at night when at the time neither was in the squad.
Its a number of forum members here who seem to be the troublemakers, insisting on retribution from the ARU without knowing the facts, because their kiddies might be disillusioned with their heroes. Hey dad, just remember that the next time you have a night out with the boys that you are some little fella(s) hero too, or at least should be.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought that QC (Quade Cooper) snatched the camera, but then returned it.
If somebody was obrusively waving a camera (mobile) in my or a amte's face I would grab it too.
Funny that, I would have been focussing on my mate, and dragging him away from trouble.
haven't we all done that in our time? maybe he is having a brain fart, drag him away calm him down, bag him for a month afterwoods?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
But the ARU needs to have all the facts, which the judicial process should bring out.
And supposing the judicial process found that Beale &/or Cooper were totally exhonerated.
The ARU would look fairly stupid penalising them for been out late at night when at the time neither was in the squad.
Its a number of forum members here who seem to be the troublemakers, insisting on retribution from the ARU without knowing the facts, because their kiddies might be disillusioned with their heroes. Hey dad, just remember that the next time you have a night out with the boys that you are some little fella(s) hero too, or at least should be.

The ARU wouldn't look stupid at all if Beale (who is in the squad) or cooper for that matter had broken ARU behavior policy. They have curfews, standards and rules to follow in their contracts above and beyond a normal citizen, these apply cos they both signed the contract making them apply, I'm not saying their guilty or not. Just that the ARU should finish its process independently.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The ARU wouldn't look stupid at all if Beale (who is in the squad) or cooper for that matter had broken ARU behavior policy. They have curfews, standards and rules to follow in their contracts above and beyond a normal citizen, these apply cos they both signed the contract making them apply, I'm not saying their guilty or not. Just that the ARU should finish its process independently.
Beale was not in the playing squad so curfew did not apply, and fortunately, WJ, wiser heads prevail than yours when it comes to making decisions as to when the ARU will pursue its process, because no national body is going to make any decisions when a matter is sub-judicial.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Beale was not in the playing squad so curfew did not apply, and fortunately, WJ, wiser heads prevail than yours when it comes to making decisions as to when the ARU will pursue its process, because no national body is going to make any decisions when a matter is sub-judicial.

Like Brett Stewart and the NRL?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf

You're just wrong Emu. The point being made is that the law is one standard and the ARU has another. It would be normal for the ARU to investigate the incident against it's own internal rules, and make an interim judgement (about whether Beale can play) and then have further consequences down the track (which could be months or even years in some cases) when the legal decision is finalised.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Its not really unusual at all, the matter is sub judice.

If specific known events in the public arena had brought the game into disrepute, perhaps the ARU would need to address those aspects promptly, but as it stands the information is sub judice.

All we know is that some kind of scuffle occurred. The rest is a matter for the courts.

Ath.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
If a player has been charged by the police, I don't think it's uncommon at all for the player to be stood down and await the final court judgement.

Again - I'm pretty sure that this is what happened with Brett Stewart from Manly.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
There were other stories floating around about cover ups over Roff back in the late 90s / early 00s, for those with long memories and an ear to the ground.

Those days are long past I think, these days the guys have bigger public profiles, social media can spread "rumours" like wildfire and camera phones are everywhere.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If a player has been charged by the police, I don't think it's uncommon at all for the player to be stood down and await the final court judgement.

Again - I'm pretty sure that this is what happened with Brett Stewart from Manly.

The Brett Stewart story is a little more complex than that, he was never actually suspended for "that incident" he was in fact suspended for braking behavioral standards he agreed to by taking part in an ad and being promoted as the "face of league" he then came back from this (4 weeks) and got injured and was out for the season. Brett is a bit slow and has decided that the NRL and gallop in particular should have come out in his support about the legal case and his innocents.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Funny that, I would have been focussing on my mate, and dragging him away from trouble.
haven't we all done that in our time? maybe he is having a brain fart, drag him away calm him down, bag him for a month afterwoods?

That's true if your mate is having a brain fart, but what if he's not? What if his reaction is proportionate and someone is filming it out of context? We don't know that yet.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The Brett Stewart story is a little more complex than that, he was never actually suspended for "that incident" he was in fact suspended for braking behavioral standards he agreed to by taking part in an ad and being promoted as the "face of league" he then came back from this (4 weeks) and got injured and was out for the season. Brett is a bit slow and has decided that the NRL and gallop in particular should have come out in his support about the legal case and his innocents.

After reading the article on brett stewart I feel very sorry for the bloke. Its on the smh website if you get time to check it out.

In my view Beale is Innocent until proven guilty. He should be treated like an innocent man until the case is decided, and if he is then found guilty he should be suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.