• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 8:05pm

Who wins?

• Walabies

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • All Blacks

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Depending on injuries I would drop DHP to the bench, or possibly out of the 23 based on that performance...

All backs issues aside for a minute (and there are plenty) we need to sort out the forwards so that our set-pieces function better and we have some guys able to make metres. Only time we did was later, probably more down to AB scrappiness than our guys, but Allan A, Mumm and a couple of others showed some drive. Appalling lineouts, dusty scrums.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Match review is up:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/wallabies-blacked-sydney/

Good write up IMO but not for the faint-hearted Wobs supporters out there....

O1V6BFvj_200x200.jpg

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hope Barrett gets far more time at first-five next week. He, and his magic, was largely absent from the second half with Cruden there.

To be fair to Cruden, the whole 2nd half bar about 4-5 minutes was scrappy on a number of fronts.

That chip ahead by Cruden to Bus was all class.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
You need to watch more closely. Defensively at sea (not alone there though) in particular. He was not our worst player, but not great.

DHP was competent and there is our problem. No blindingly fast wingers.
Defensively, too many of our players came infield to make tackles the inside player should have been trusted with, leaving overlaps down the sideline. DHP was as much at fault in this as anyone.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well Cheika did a conservative selection....and lets face it the way AB's played any side out there tonight we put would have been beaten but without doubt whether the perfect side with hindsight would have been so badly beaten as tonight's side highly debatable.

So cheika now got case for change as if doesn't will just change the head coach as after England series and this result will only have so many matches after this to see improvement.

So what I learnt...Simmons..don't care about his lineout ability - just has to be dropped as so not test standardy as his general play jus woeful.

Kurindrani yes was terrible...too many alternative options to ignore. Folau or Kerev must be better options.
ac didn't do much indeed. But what options....Luke Morahan.....best option here..but not the amazing answer but just best of the next bunch of options.

mcaluman at 6 - no - machmon needs to come in......with fardy;.....

Bench options - better needed - with injuries - hodge wil get the go - good

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting comments about Grey's defensive structure this year.

If you go back a few months and look at the Blog articles after the English debacle there was a very good one by the Dead Ball Area that illustrated what the Wallabies were doing in attack with their structures. Given the Wallabies turned over the ball on attack and the ABs responded with great pace this structure leaves them very weak defensively with Pocock on one wing and Hooper on the other.

At the Tahs much the same thing was happening early on in the year until they dumped a couple of non-performing forwards that constantly got caught out eg. Ta'avao.

The problem at the Wallabies has been compounded in the first 4 tests this year by Kurindrani. He is slow and misses far too many first up tackles. Any break in the 13 channel then can't be shut down because the Wallabies backs lack top end pace. Its is telling when Phipps and Hooper are as fast as the wingers and fullback.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
DHP was competent and there is our problem. No blindingly fast wingers.
Defensively, too many of our players came infield to make tackles the inside player should have been trusted with, leaving overlaps down the sideline. DHP was as much at fault in this as anyone.

The defensive structure looked really flaky and narrow a lot. Some decent covering at times (Foley ironically made a few) but the line always looked under the pump, and quite passive.

G

galumay

Like I said they are all in danger of getting charged with Fraudulently accepting money pretending to be professional rugby players.

You have completely missed the point - as I suspect many will. Our systems are incapable of developing a team of players sufficiently skilled and able to beat a team like the AB's more than once in a blue moon.

There is nothing 'fraudulent' or unprofessional about it, most of the international teams in the world are in the same boat, if not all or them. The Boks only beat them very rarely these days, none of the 6 Nation sides look capable of beating them, the Pumas are yet to win against them.

This is what I mean about managing our expectations for the Wallabies, a new coach, different selections, these things wont change the world order of rugby and our place in it.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Like I said they are all in danger of getting charged with Fraudulently accepting money pretending to be professional rugby players. What a lark getting paid shit loads of money to be shite at something, pretend to be good and be paid in spite of the results, may as well become a politician, Lawyer or Banker, or hang on a Commentator.

There was an article somewhere this week about giving Australian Olympic athletes a HECS-style debt to pay off once they earn a certain amount (to replace taxpayer investment in them). Should we do something similar?

In fact bugger it, every match they lose pathetically (i.e. without 100% effort put in) they must pay the ARU their match fee (10k IIRC)

T

TOCC

Well Cheika did a conservative selection..and lets face it the way AB's played any side out there tonight we put would have been beaten but without doubt whether the perfect side with hindsight would have been so badly beaten as tonight's side highly debatable.

Conservative? More like rubbish, it was a shit selection exacerbated by a a game plan which didn't suit the players ability. Wallabies invited the AB's to run rampant by handing them possession and territory, no other tier 1 team in the world would try and play the 'game plan' that Australia did tonight against the AB's

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What do you mean. It improved. In terms of quality of ball and in simple % won as opposed to lost. What is hard about it?

You said (or something along the lines of) "when Moore (who is supposedly better than TPN at lineout throwing) and Mumm came on". You seemed to imply that Moore came off the bench (which is what I was confused about)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What r u talking about. I'm Not blaming anyone. I'm saying we need to play the game differently. Not skills wise. Smarts wise

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter how smart you are if you miss 31 tackles.
We firstly need to compete physically, then we can start to think about tactics.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
There was an article somewhere this week about giving Australian Olympic athletes a HECS-style debt to pay off once they earn a certain amount (to replace taxpayer investment in them). Should we do something similar?

In fact bugger it, every match they lose pathetically (i.e. without 100% effort put in) they must pay the ARU their match fee (10k IIRC)
Sounds like a plan- both the Olympians and Wallabies have failed enough to question tax payer money

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)
I think in hindsight I'm very glad I went out for dinner and didn't watch this game. I doubt I'll watch the replay either. Dark times in Camp Wallaby. The thing is though, who are the alternatives? If this is the best we can put out there then I would suggest the game is in trouble in this country.
That's the thing. It wasn't the best. Even we keyboard warriors could have put together a better team

Status
Not open for further replies.