• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The defensive structure in the backs is all at sea. Most of them seem to be able to tackle OK - it seemed to me the problems were people being in bad spots rather than stone-cold missing tackles. Again, the AB offload game is so good, it beats the man more often than not. Even in narrow channels.
13 is a keystone defensively, and it's tough, but Kerevi struggled with it.
For me - Genia / Cooper should stay. Outside that, I don't know. Foley better at 12, but maybe look at other options? If we keep shifting people around, they'll never get a solid defensive structure - it takes time. It's not easy. Kuridrani obviously has that aspect locked down better at 13, but lacks in attack. Maybe he should be kept there and we re-work 12? Hodge and DHP look good prospects but DHP had one of his worse defensive efforts tonight.
Who'd be a coach?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper played well, but I think the tactic of dropping him back at fullback was a liability. He isn't great under the high ball and his counter-attacking is no-where near the level it use to be. Keep Folau back there for gods sake.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Starting the year with 5 lost tests in a row. When's the last time that happened I wonder?

We did play better, we didn't drop the ball nearly as much, we weren't quite as woeful in defence. But if I had to use a single word to describe the Wallabies' style of play under Cheika it would be 'stupid.' Stupid tactics, stupid discipline issues, just generally stupid play. Kicks not finding touch, kicks out on the full from outside the 22, backchatting the ref, just stupid.

Can't even pick a MOTM for the Wallabies. Genia and Cooper had good games, Hodge okay except for a couple of misses in defence, Folau his usual self. Interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on that.

Genia for MOTM, a line break, that intercept that saved a try, few snipes. Good service.

I've been impressed by Genia since his return.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The defensive structure in the backs is all at sea. Most of them seem to be able to tackle OK - it seemed to me the problems were people being in bad spots rather than stone-cold missing tackles. Again, the AB offload game is so good, it beats the man more often than not. Even in narrow channels.
For me - Genia / Cooper should stay. Outside that, I don't know. Foley better at 12, but maybe look at other options? If we keep shifting people around, they'll never get a solid defensive structure - it takes time. It's not easy. Kuridrani obviously has that aspect locked down better at 13, but lacks in attack. Maybe he should be kept there and we re-work 12? Hodge and DHP look good prospects but DHP had one of his worse defensive efforts tonight.
Who'd be a coach?

To'omua should be back in a fortnight and I have to say after tonight I'd rather Quade in the 10 shirt..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Who'd be a coach?

To'omua back next week?

Defense will be twice as good with

10. Cooper
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Aren't you Kerevi's advocate?? And you want him at 12 mind you. I agree though, he's not up to it. I don't know what AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did in his short stint that says he 'has to go' aside from getting the silver in a 1 on 1 high ball but hey at least he contested it. It sounds like he's going back to France anyway and I reckon Hodge earnt the starting guernsey.

DHPs defence was better than last week but yes still not good enough.

I have been Kerevi's advocate at 12 and an advocate for leaving Kuridrani at 13. We all know Kuridrani is a stud defender and after giving up 70 points in two weeks, I know what I'd be worried about first.

I thought Kerevi played well against the English at 12. I don't think defending at 12 is quite the same as defending at 13 but he may have looked shit tonight regardless.

No fucking clue as to why he was given the chance to kick :rolleyes:, that was awul.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
To'omua should be back in a fortnight and I have to say after tonight I'd rather Quade in the 10 shirt..
Happy to see To'omua there with Cooper, if he's OK. Going forward, I remain unsure! I totally agree, Cooper did more than enough tonight to stay at 10. I'd prefer he be kept "up front" as Seb V says - he tackled just fine, and better to stay in one place. Use DHP / Folau at the back.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
How about you take Cheika's job?

Ease up, there should be 250 GAGR members submitting their CVs to the ARU head office using your logic.

Bit better, still a firm believer that our main issue is Psychological and that stems from the fact that we are both inferior in mind set and the ABs far superior (almost a manifestation of their ongoing success and great support base, all culminating in just a generally better culture, development system and Rugby Union which feeds itself in a way).

Defence and Set Piece can be fixed, but even when we do have success in both areas we ALWAYS struggle, and I think it firmly comes down to a lack of self belief and drive when we hit a bump in the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.