• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #4 New Zealand vs Australia Nov 7 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sio has been pretty poor though. I would have probably picked HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) but Bell is hugely promising.

His scrummaging needs to improve a fair bit still but I think it will happen and he'll be our best LHP.

Could be the plan is for Philip and Simmons to play very close to 80 minutes and the planned subs are Swinton and Wilson.

Of course. Bell is a Waratah. One of the chosen ones. But seriously, I reckon he would make a better No 8 than prop. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is a far better option imo but seems to have done an Ala'alatoa and swapped to the tighthead side. Now he's behind both Ala'alatoa and Tupou.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like the team. This key to beating the ABs is defense. Play at the right end of the park, defend well and cut the unforced errors and we are in with a shot. Personally I think the obsession with 'playmaking' ignores the history of the matches we've played against them, and the reality is that the looser things get, the worse off we are.

Although Hodge has a big boot he is a terrible general play kicker, so slow. So playing 'at the right end' of the park is going to be difficult without a solid kicking game. At least Banks is there for that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, I don't understand why Rennie didn't make attempt to lure back any of Kerevi, Arnold, Rodda, Skelton or Latu?

Those guys are experienced and proven test quality players & you're missing a few of those guys at the moment.

All you have to do is get rid of the bloody Giteau's law so you can actually field a competitive side - because you're probably going to get your dicks kicked in with this team..

It's pretty understandable in Covid times. Might not even be possible to get them back. Might as well take this as an opportunity to blood some youth.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
When To'omua was injured he should have pulled someone in from outside of the squad. It was highly unlikely that we would also lose JOC (James O'Connor), but there you go. Same for lock. We lose LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and all of sudden we do not have a recognised lock on the pine.

It’s a learning experience for him as well I guess. Playing Hodge at 10 achieves nothing. At least play Lolesio or Harrison and Hosea or Neville from the bench.

He needs a W. Do any of those options give him a better chance of winning? I doubt it

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess if Hodge sees us through the first 20-30 minute onslaught and we can then introduce Lolesio? It just seems such a negative selection

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He played a bit of lock at the Tahs. Although I understand your perception (like when Fardy played lock) but I haven't seen any evidence Hanigan is a poor scrimmager at lock.

It isn't perception. Our scrum is under enough pressure at the moment with actual locks.

But if we're going to fart-arse around with the team put that big lump Hosea on the bench.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Of course. Bell is a Waratah. One of the chosen ones. But seriously, I reckon he would make a better No 8 than prop. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is a far better option imo but seems to have done an Ala'alatoa and swapped to the tighthead side. Now he's behind both Ala'alatoa and Tupou.

Bell couldn't make the Waratahs' starting side, shouldn't have been in the extended squad, but will be making his test debut on Saturday. Tell me that would happen to a player from another state.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It isn't perception. Our scrum is under enough pressure at the moment with actual locks.

But if we're going to fart-arse around with the team put that big lump Hosea on the bench.

Hanigan plays lock at the Tahs and I bet will play there more often next year. He's the same mould as LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (in terms of the set-peice). Until I see the scrum going backwards I will reserve my judgement.

Reactions: dru

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
My main issues with this team is that Hanigan is on the bench covering lock (when it should be Hosea), AND Paisami is selected out of position at 12, I would've given Simone another start there, the backline is much less balanced with Paisami at 12, he's bit one dimensional, crash-ball type. Whereas Simone is more of a genuine second playmaker at 12 and has even played 10 previously in the youth grades..

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
I actually see this All Blacks team as stronger than the one named last week, my only subs would be Smith back into 9 and Clarke back in over Sevu.
Absolutely frightening as a Wallabies supporter realising how little depth we have and the fact NZ could name about 3 test quality sides. o_O

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I actually see this All Blacks team as stronger than the one named last week, my only subs would be Smith back into 9 and Clarke back in over Sevu.
Absolutely frightening as a Wallabies supporter realising how little depth we have and the fact NZ could name about 3 test quality sides. o_O
If you had To'omua or JOC (James O'Connor) available to play ten the team wouldn’t look nearly as bad. If both Mo’unga and Beauden were injured and the ABs were forced to start Josh Ioane they wouldn’t look nearly so good either.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'm guessing the backline was picked for defence. I don't think the ball is going to get to Petaia or Tom Wright very much.

The selections pretty much show that the Wallabies can't and won't even try to match the All Blacks by playing expansively. The game plan will be conservative and there's an element of 'hoping' we can remain competitive through box kicks/ up and unders, making our tackles and accruing penalties.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

yep - I feel for Bell who is going to have to debut with Hanigan likely the man trying to give him weight from the back.