• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe III at Perth, 5/09/21 - 4pm AEST

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah okay mate. A 10 who was notorious for throwing loose passes was going to save us today.
I never said he was going to save you. You need a shit-load more than 1 player to do that.

But who else in the squad has ever been considered a quality Test 10? Because JOC (James O'Connor) and Hodge never have been.

Judging some of these young guys against the ABs is silly. Everyone here is on knee-jerk reactions but until these guys play other teams, I think it’s hard to really say if they are as shit as some here seem to think.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I never said he was going to save you. You need a shit-load more than 1 player to do that.

But who else in the squad has ever been considered a quality Test 10? Because JOC (James O'Connor) and Hodge never have been.

Judging some of these young guys against the ABs is silly. Everyone here is on knee-jerk reactions but until these guys play other teams, I think it’s hard to really say if they are as shit as some here seem to think.
Who is on knee jerk reactions?

Many of us have been saying we are done with playing and listening to kiwis for over a year, actually.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That was absolutely insipid. They're trying their guts out, I can tell that, but we're trying to play a brand of footy we're not quite capable of achieving with this group.

The amount of passes at the gain line that the All Black defence read and then picked off was astonishing. We also were too static at the breakdown and got murdered there too. These two things are the death of a rugby team, because those mistakes cost points and then you're chasing the game from the start.

We need to play a tighter and more conservative style for the moment. The pack is actually pretty good and should focus on punching in and around the fringes and flood the breakdown. We're not setting defences back on their heels enough and it's creating pressure when we go wide. Hodge played pretty well when he came on and we played a more direct and straight running game. Let's pick him again and do more of it.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Prophecy Has Today Been Realised.

And you shall already know what is spoken of as foretold in the tablature.

Yes, today The Prophecy Of Akira has reached Full Realisation Under Christ & Satan & Baby Jesus & Santa.

The Children They Weep

The Women They Seep.

The Men, they behold the lachyrmosal salination for it is a baptismal bounty as bespoken heretofore after as The Miracle Of Perth.

Behold With Thine Own Eyes:

giphy.gif

And Behold Again:

giphy.gif

And Thrice for The Holy Akira Trinity PRAISE BE FFS:

giphy.gif

tl/dr; Let Us All Praise The Prophecy and rub our tiny stiffies with giddy abandon whenever it is Thus Spaken Of.

Amen, and Boomfa.
He probably didn't even need to pass.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Who is on knee jerk reactions?

Many of us have been saying we are done with playing and listening to kiwis for over a year, actually.
You are.

Mr ‘too many Brumbies’ and ‘nothing to be positive about’

I don’t give a fuck if you listen or not. In terms of playing us, you don’t have a choice for at least the next 2yrs so suck it up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You are.

Mr ‘too many Brumbies’ and ‘nothing to be positive about’

I don’t give a fuck if you listen or not. In terms of playing us, you don’t have a choice for at least the next 2yrs so suck it up.
Well you are right about the last part. Plenty of more pointless shit eating to go. And then i get to come on here and listen to you and Dan talk about 'positives'.

Someone fucking end me.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Well you are right about the last part. Plenty of more pointless shit eating to go. And then i get to come on here and listen to you and Dan talk about 'positives'.

Someone fucking end me.
Cry me a river.

God, I hope this ‘poor me’ victim mentality is not indicative of all Australian rugby

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I usually try and find the positives in Wallaby performances but that was shit.

Defensively Wallabies looked up for it early but that fell away - probably due to the score board.

The intent to offload was good. The execution left a lot to be desired.

Kerevi was good in his first test in two years.

No attempt to try and use 50-22 or really much of a kicking plan at all was baffling but true to form.

Lack of rugby smarts again an issue but realistically that's going to happen when there is a dearth of leadership in the squad. Only way to get through that is just gain experience.

On the AB side great to see Akira give a big up yours to all his critics. His brother was wonderful too. Was not too impressed by Beaudie but still far too good for Noah. Jordan looked sharp in 14.

Wallabies should start Nic White just for experience. Try another 10. Loosies are not working - Wilson at 6 and Naisarani at 8 perhaps.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I usually try and find the positives in Wallaby performances but that was shit.

Defensively Wallabies looked up for it early but that fell away - probably due to the score board.

The intent to offload was good. The execution left a lot to be desired.

Kerevi was good in his first test in two years.

No attempt to try and use 50-22 or really much of a kicking plan at all was baffling but true to form.

Lack of rugby smarts again an issue but realistically that's going to happen when there is a dearth of leadership in the squad. Only way to get through that is just gain experience.

On the AB side great to see Akira give a big up yours to all his critics. His brother was wonderful too. Was not too impressed by Beaudie but still far too good for Noah. Jordan looked sharp in 14.

Wallabies should start Nic White just for experience. Try another 10. Loosies are not working - Wilson at 6 and Naisarani at 8 perhaps.

That was my view also - the thought was right but the execution was terrible. They either need to get a lot better at it or bin that tactic and go tighter for the time being.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Why do we insist on playing inexperienced players against the all blacks. It's a joke. It's really unfair on the young blokes as well.

God knows why they all blacks get all the 50/50 calls. From the very start havili was son his elbows and wins a turnover. They literally spent the whole game offside. Couldn't throw one line out straight and somehow won a penalty for a line out they through that was shockingly not straight. Hands in the ruck. The only time the ref called a ruck was when Kerevi and MK scored a try and he wanted to disallow it. Everything else was fair game. Oh it's a ruck ? Nevermind let's just dive in head first not support our body weight and win a turnover. Whistle. All blacks penalty. Wallabies score a try ? Legs have a good look and disallow it. All blacks score off a forward pass. Let's not even look. Just let it go. It goes on and on

Last edited:

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Another thought -- I think we need to revisit our selection strategy and prioritise people with competitive mindsets over those with superior skillsets.

For instance - in a dominant team, Tom Banks is likely 10X the fullback that Reece Hodge is, and Noah would be 10X the flyhalf.

But I'm not sure if these players have the "fuck you, I refuse to lose" attitude that we need, or the confidence that they WON'T lose, which then causes them to do stupid shit.

Talent only matters insofar that the players have the temperament to apply it in any conditions. Under that model, I'd make the following changes:

1. Slipper
2. BPA
3. Alaalaatoa
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper (c)
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. Hodge
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Kerevi
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16. Bell
17. Uelese
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. Loselio
23. Banks

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Another thought -- I think we need to revisit our selection strategy and prioritise people with competitive mindsets over those with superior skillsets.

For instance - in a dominant team, Tom Banks is likely 10X the fullback that Reece Hodge is, and Noah would be 10X the flyhalf.

But I'm not sure if these players have the "fuck you, I refuse to lose" attitude that we need, or the confidence that they WON'T lose, which then causes them to do stupid shit.

Talent only matters insofar that the players have the temperament to apply it in any conditions. Under that model, I'd make the following changes:

1. Slipper
2. BPA
3. Alaalaatoa
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper (c)
8. Naisarani
9. White
10. Hodge
11. Koroibete
12. Paisami
13. Kerevi
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

16. Bell
17. Uelese
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Wilson
21. McDermott
22. Loselio
23. Banks
That's a better team then what we put out. That's how it should be. Chuck JOC (James O'Connor) in or Quade. Instead as well

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Why do we insist on playing inexperienced players against the all blacks. It's a joke. It's really unfair on the young blokes as well.

God knows why they all blacks get all the 50/50 calls. From the very start havili was son his elbows and wins a turnover. They literally spent the whole game offside. Couldn't throw one line out straight and somehow won a penalty for a line out they through that was shockingly not straight. Hands in the ruck. The only time the ref called a ruck was when Kerevi and MK scored a try and he wanted to disallow it. Everything else was fair game. Oh it's a ruck ? Nevermind let's just dive in head first not support our body weight and win a turnover. Whistle. All blacks penalty. Wallabies score a try ? Legs have a good look and disallow it. All blacks score off a forward pass. Let's not even look. Just let it go. It goes on and on
Because the 50/50 calls that go against them don’t get noticed as they are hidden behind an avalanche of points and have absolutely no impact on the outcome.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lolesio is nowhere close to test level. Should not even be in the squad, he has no point of difference to offer as a 10.

Derpus is his No.1 apologist, who makes every excuse under the sun for his deer-in-headlights performances week after week. Even Hodge is much better in the role even though he's not a natural test 10. Noah is the easily most overrated Wallabies player (alongside brain-explosion test liability Paisami) in the rugby community, he offers absolutely nothing to the backline.

This is not Super Rugby. Both he and McKellar finding that out. You cannot play a bench hooker who is smaller than your whole backline or persist with a young 10 who is clearly not up to it. Lonergan was OK this time but the selection is fraught with danger.

Wallabies seem to be going backwards. Need a big change in direction from both of those coaches or else will most likely finish the RC at the bottom of the table.
This post looks familiar?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought there were some decent performances in the Wallabies, but again too many turnovers, dumb decisions, some good decisions executed poorly and the most frustrating element - the continued walloping they're getting at the breakdown.

The worst part of that game for me was watching Hooper, who was generally ok, get pushed....... not cleaned out with a shoulder or any physical opposing momentum........ but comically gently pushed off our own ball that lead to another turnover.

It just summed up our completely ineffective game around the tackle.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Prophecy Has Today Been Realised.

And you shall already know what is spoken of as foretold in the tablature.

Yes, today The Prophecy Of Akira has reached Full Realisation Under Christ & Satan & Baby Jesus & Santa.

The Children They Weep

The Women They Seep.

The Men, they behold the lachyrmosal salination for it is a baptismal bounty as bespoken heretofore after as The Miracle Of Perth.

Behold With Thine Own Eyes:

giphy.gif

And Behold Again:

giphy.gif

And Thrice for The Holy Akira Trinity PRAISE BE FFS:

giphy.gif

tl/dr; Let Us All Praise The Prophecy and rub our tiny stiffies with giddy abandon whenever it is Thus Spaken Of.

Amen, and Boomfa.
How bad was Noah in that play? Not sure what he was doing/thinking, other than not going in for a tackle.