• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Warburton would not even make my match day 23 let alone captain the side. To Loyal to the Walsh.

Happy O'Mahony got selected. Best 6 in World Rugby when fit, defensive line outs should see his selection alone. Would not have Payne anywhere near the side, would have had Ryan or Toner as they both played well against NZ in November.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I had thought Halfpenny was crocked for the better part of two years and a bit rubbish once he came back. Davies doesn't deserve to be in the squad. Would have thought England had better centres than Te'o. Nice to see the northern hemisphere isn't immune to the tendency to randomly shoe in a leaguey.

North is questionable, given they have limited squad spaces, probably the hardest tour possible, and his recent concussion record. Seems a gamble to me.

Only area of parity they have with the All Blacks is the tight five.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, quite a few Welsh players.....

Twelve to be exact, along with 16 from Ringinland, 11 from Ireland & just the two Scotsmen, 41 in all which is four more than Gatland said he'd pick & IMO is a few too many. Plenty of potential for divisions within the team, whether along purely national lines or good old-fashioned Poms v Celts, not to mention those who won't get much game time v those who do.

Also feel Warburton could easily become another Ciaran Fitzgerald figure: I'm not convinced that he'd win a "pick the skipper" poll of the touring party. Not saying the players should pick the captain, fuck that for an idea, just that if things start going badly early on he could become a focal point for the inevitable dissatisfaction within the group & something of a scapegoat for the Brit media who are likely to decide in hindsight that an Englishman should've been captain.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Agreed. Given history, it will also be surprising if he stays healthy for the whole tour.
If the bookies had a market on him to make it to the first test I would be betting on him being injured given his recent record.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Don't think the piggies are athletic enough to worry the ABs and i don't the backs are good enough full stop.
Has the world finally woken up to the fraud Jamie Roberts is or his omission an age thing? all the pommy papers led with his inclusion.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't think the piggies are athletic enough to worry the ABs and i don't the backs are good enough full stop.
Has the world finally woken up to the fraud Jamie Roberts is or his omission an age thing? all the pommy papers led with his inclusion.
Gatland said (more or less straight after Scotland beat Wales to add to the drama) not only would be be considering performances over significant periods ahead of time over recent form (excluding one off, big performances) but that he was strongly considering taking a small number of players because of their experience in both Pro Rugby overall and previous BILs tours, paving the way for the likes of Genthin Jenkins (not my first choice, but would have been ahead of Marler) and Jamie Roberts to enter selection speculation.

But even Howley, bad of a coach as he is, had made that realisation during the 6 Nations, so sanity eventually won out, for that decision at least.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My starting line up from squad selected:

1: Vunipola
2: Best
3: Furlong
4: Itoje
5: AWJ
6: O'Mahony
7: O'Brien
8: CJ Stander

9: Murray
10: Farrell/Sexton
11: Watson
12: Joseph
13: Henshaw
14: Williams
15: Hogg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

Have to disagree about the Piggies, if selection is done right you could have a very strong and mobile pack. The Irish piggies defeated NZ in Chicago last year, out of those players only the locks are missing, Itoje is like for like replacement of Ryan and AWJ for Toner. Weakness would be Warburton at 7.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Have to disagree about the Piggies, if selection is done right you could have a very strong and mobile pack. The Irish piggies defeated NZ in Chicago last year, out of those players only the locks are missing, Itoje is like for like replacement of Ryan and AWJ for Toner. Weakness would be Warburton at 7.

and on the score of athleticism Vunipola

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

This time, of course, they will witness the firepower of the fully armed and operational forward pack.....

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just relised Mike Brown was not selected. Would have him ahead of Payne and Halfpenny

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Cement Head is taking the piss with Warbs and McCaw sure? Very few opensides in the history of the game are anywhere near Richie.

Very true... Thierry Dusautoir (who is retiring at the end of the season) might be one of the few recently who could go toe-to-toe. Certainly not Warburton, but not being as good s McCaw hardly makes you a bad player.

The team I would pick (Other than Warburton as Captain) is:

1.Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Maro Itoje
5. AWJ
6. C J Stander
7. Sam Warburton
8. B Vunipola

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Henshaw
13.Jonathan Joseph
14. Watson
15. Hogg

16. M Vunipola (Impact sub)
17. Jamie George (Better than Best, IMO, but also a great impact player)
18. Kyle Sinckler ( again provides big impact and energy, unlike Cole)
19. George Kruis
20. T Faletau
21. Rhys Webb
22. Owen Farrell (Covers 10 and 12)
23. Elliot Daly (Just so versatile!)