• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it not RA broadcasting, but was interested to see on news (NZ) just now, and they were saying that Aus rugby teams are assertive in Super rugby etc, and talking of improved results. I know it probably strange to you lot ,news talking of others wins etc, but I was pleased to see it.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I know it not Rugby Australia broadcasting, but was interested to see on news (NZ) just now, and they were saying that Aus rugby teams are assertive in Super rugby etc, and talking of improved results. I know it probably strange to you lot ,news talking of others wins etc, but I was pleased to see it.
Positive to see some positive kiwi nz coverage on oz performance rather then just lamenting kiwi performances. Certainly a positive weekend for oz sides given 2 oz sides that lost both had the chance to win up till final whistle and both lost by less then 3 points. The old one swallow does not make a summer…but a good respectable weekend for all oz sides.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Positive to see some positive kiwi nz coverage on oz performance rather then just lamenting kiwi performances. Certainly a positive weekend for oz sides given 2 oz sides that lost both had the chance to win up till final whistle and both lost by less then 3 points. The old one swallow does not make a summer…but a good respectable weekend for all oz sides.
Funnily enough RN if you lived here you would realise that NZ press coverage is usually pretty positive of sports from most parts of world. But think I have said a few times generally rugby programmes etc are looking at how Aus can get better and where they are doing well.
I have been quietly surprised to be reminded of it, and I meaning evening news will generally cover news and highlights of soccer , basketball etc etc from around the world with or without kiwi involvement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Come to think of it was at golf club yesterday, and was having a chat to an an ex All Black who was visiting (now lives in Aus, and just setting up to return home) and we got onto a little about rugby etc and he asked if it right that Tahs had won against Crusaders etc. He told me he still enjoys rugby etc, but doesn't watch it an awful lot as he found when watching games in pubs,clubs etc after he finished playing, that listening to the so called éxperts' watching and their often scathing comments of players, when he said he reckons 90% of those watching have really no idea of what the players are a; trying to actually do and b; how a game plan is decided and works and how everyone is just trying to disrupt other teams plans etc. He still follows rugby, but says he can only really enjoy doing it with a few mates preferably who actually understand the game.

And luckily I didn't say to much as he is coming to club game with a few of us this week ;) :D:D

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Funnily enough RN if you lived here you would realise that NZ press coverage is usually pretty positive of sports from most parts of world. But think I have said a few times generally rugby programmes etc are looking at how Aus can get better and where they are doing well.
I have been quietly surprised to be reminded of it, and I meaning evening news will generally cover news and highlights of soccer , basketball etc etc from around the world with or without kiwi involvement.
Thanks Dan...I think we both know it is in both Oz and NZ interests for oz rugby to be healthy....league and cashed up overseas clubs are a threat to both and best way to defend is create a better pro product / competition. If we are going to make a go of super rugby we will need some compromise and assistance from NZRU in terms of a more supportive model that helps oz rugby address the challenges it faces (fierce competition from competing codes etc and challenges of depth we have vs NZRU at least in the short to mid term). I think how much NZRU prepared to do to make super rugby a success vs other competing agendas will determine whether super rugby has a future (at least for oz sides) and whether this accelerates the need for RA to go down a separate alternative path (e.g. domestic competition). I don't want to get into whether NZRU should or not do more as appreciate it is their decision but equally it will be RA's decision as to whether it continues to invest in Super Rugby long term or go down an alternative path. I think we would both agree still going to take a lot of work from all sides to make super rugby a successful product.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh for sure RN, I do think it still needs work to improve Super, I know we don't agree on what works needs to be done,just that some work needs doing, but I think we all saw on weekend with an upset result in Sydney (with a good crowd I thought) and the Drua's match in Suva, even the Force, Reds and Brumbies etc that it not quite as onesided ,or as little interest, as some would have us believe. We also have to remember that while some see the need to strenghten Aus teams (I ebelieve they are already doing that) there is also MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua who need to be nutured probably even more.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh for sure RN, I do think it still needs work to improve Super, I know we don't agree on what works needs to be done,just that some work needs doing, but I think we all saw on weekend with an upset result in Sydney (with a good crowd I thought) and the Drua's match in Suva, even the Force, Reds and Brumbies etc that it not quite as onesided ,or as little interest, as some would have us believe. We also have to remember that while some see the need to strenghten Aus teams (I ebelieve they are already doing that) there is also MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) and Drua who need to be nutured probably even more.

Drua have a better catchment for players so I think long term they are ok but I get your point. As for views on what needs to be done - you and I having diverging views (have some agreement on some things as well) reflects the broader society view as lots of different views and opinions. But at least the agreement would be can hardly rest on our laurels and lot more work to do including improving on collaboration.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I remain extremely pessimistic about the viability of a healthy competition, and this weekends results don’t change that. I’m glad the Tahs beat the Crusaders, but they were also resting 4 of their All Blacks. The growing gap in revenue between the unions directly correlates to the ability to retain and develop players.

2022 is the tail end of pre-covid negotiated salaries for many players in Australia, RA and Super Rugby have both cuts their wages on offer going forward on reduced revenue. The exodus of players at the end of 2022 is going to be disastrous for a number of Aus teams.

For all this talk NZRU are facing the same pressure, they aren’t, they haven’t reduced wages and they don’t have a scenario where a team like the Brumbies could lose 5 of their test players in one hit, maybe more.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep but realistically Adam do you think Brumbies will lose more than a couple of players? I hope not and think there is a sudden case of players managers reporting offers from overseas to pump up wages.
I know it a big thing where teams are capable of earning more money being the ones who will win everything, I spent 20 odd years in Australia reading seemingly every second week of another Sydney NRL club complaining how Brisbane had such a huge advantage as they were a one team city and had the most coin coming in. I don't recall them winning titles continually etc. I think it can at times be a way of diverting from perhaps what is the problem. While it doesn't help, and understand with absolutely no salary cap a team can but coaches and players to help win, but I pretty relaxed that not the case in Super.
You can't penalise teams etc becuase they come from place where the game is perhap adm pathways.inistered both financially and in development

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I remain extremely pessimistic about the viability of a healthy competition, and this weekends results don’t change that. I’m glad the Tahs beat the Crusaders, but they were also resting 4 of their All Blacks. The growing gap in revenue between the unions directly correlates to the ability to retain and develop players.

2022 is the tail end of pre-covid negotiated salaries for many players in Australia, Rugby Australia and Super Rugby have both cuts their wages on offer going forward on reduced revenue. The exodus of players at the end of 2022 is going to be disastrous for a number of Aus teams.

For all this talk NZRU are facing the same pressure, they aren’t, they haven’t reduced wages and they don’t have a scenario where a team like the Brumbies could lose 5 of their test players in one hit, maybe more.
The problem is more long term regards the financial viablity of the game here, the Drua & Pacifika may be great feel good factors but they don't bring any financial security to the competition.

Aus rugby may be able to coast along with a Lions tour and World cup paying the bills but any excess money will be very quickly soaked up keeping the top level of players here. Which ultimately means those promises of more grassroots money will just remain that, promises.

The biggest affect may come from the Japanese & American Leagues, they are not a challenge yet, but it won't take much more of a money increase and they will be siphoning of more 2nd tier level players.
The catch 22 is can Australia support 5 teams, and realistically can NZ support 5 teams moving forward, especially when you have to compete with overseas money.
The problem is what alterntatives are there now, can the game survive with just a domestic footprint. maybe Super rugby is the only viable option moving, due to the mistakes of the past.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just an interesting point, just been watching Breakdown, and they saying the difference in Aus teams etc, how good. But were discussing why the Blues are doing so well down through to coaches etc etc. James Parsons was on the panel, he said almost immediately, it's because the whole thing is run so well from the board . It is something we have been hearing about Crusaders for a long time, from the board down EVERYONE is on the same page. I think there a lesson to perhaps be taken from that, and also maybe one NZ advantage, everyone from Highlanders board in the south to Blues board in the north are just that, boards who's sole responsibilty is running the franchise and academy etc, and NPC and community rugby is run be provincial rugby boards who have the sole job of doing that very thing. Reds is run by QRU, and Tahs by NSWRU, if I am right. In NZ none of the super franchises even get a vote or official say at NZR level, though all Super franchises have provincial union board members on their boards, their first job is to run Super rugby team.
Definitely food for thought I think anyway.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was quite happy with reminder why RA needed to go to Stan toady, was going through sports channels on sky today, and Back Page from Aus was on, they talked about Australia getting World cup, and was only mentioned quite quickly and not a lot of yahoopng etc---Bastards can stick their Murdoch media up their arses!!!!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Was quite happy with reminder why Rugby Australia needed to go to Stan toady, was going through sports channels on sky today, and Back Page from Aus was on, they talked about Australia getting World cup, and was only mentioned quite quickly and not a lot of yahoopng etc---Bastards can stick their Murdoch media up their arses!!!!
It was a big sports day for Murdoch though, a transgender surfer won a competition, this will provide weeks of front page news once the election is over

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Hoping for some advice on watching Super Rugby in Bris. I know there has been issues with pubs showing Stan.

but does anyone know of somewhere in Southbank/City area that puts Super Rugby on??

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hoping for some advice on watching Super Rugby in Bris. I know there has been issues with pubs showing Stan.

but does anyone know of somewhere in Southbank/City area that puts Super Rugby on??
I've watched games at the Pig in the valley this year (though I don't remember if it was a 9 or Stan game), so I assume it'd be the same for the one in Southbank or in the city.

They are listing it on their site and you can usually email or call them to book a table with a view of a tv that will have it on:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Pig and Whistle in South Brisbane/West End should definitely have all the games you want to watch.

If you wanted a more local taste, The Boundary Hotel might also have it on, but you'd have to ring and ask them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Very largely the advent of Stan has been a fabulous improvement. So my bitch should be put in perspective.

What is it with these half time fillers of international soccer? This is the Finals and they can't manage 10 mins of commentary at half time? Jeez it need no investment, equipment and staff are already there.

Bizarre.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Very largely the advent of Stan has been a fabulous improvement. So my bitch should be put in perspective.

What is it with these half time fillers of international soccer? This is the Finals and they can't manage 10 mins of commentary at half time? Jeez it need no investment, equipment and staff are already there.

Bizarre.
It's games in NZ ... Guessing they don't have the rights to show the Kiwi half time show... I've noticed it too but guess it's some legality

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's games in NZ ... Guessing they don't have the rights to show the Kiwi half time show... I've noticed it too but guess it's some legality

The Super Pacific rugby broadcast doesn't have rights to broadcast Super Pacific content into Australia? NZR have the right to produce stuff that only can be used in NZ? Can our Kiwi based fans confirm whether or not they get coverage on Stan during the 10 min HT break?

Stan Australia can't step in for 10 mins?

Finally, reverting to clips of Soccer is just plan disrespectful.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
maybe a filler from Australia for the half time then, post COVID we are used to poor quality crosses to Skype etc. It couldn't be too hard to get an Australian to give 10 minutes of thoughts on the first half or run a preview of something Rugby related.