• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Altrad must be thinking rugby is a good advertising market, aren't they also on Force's jersey?
The All Black deal is supposedly worth over $15 mill a year for 2 years, and would think French deal would be fiarly good too.
Geez Ineos supposedly paying $8mill a year, and throw in $10 mill plus a lot of gear etc a year from Adidas, you can see where International jerseys are worth a fair bit.

Mohed Altrad is a Middle Eastern/French billionaire who is a rugby nut like twiggy. He owns Montpellier who won the top 14 this year.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yep, QANTAS I sure were after international market as much as Aussie one.
And Ineos who got ABs shorts also do bike teams, very much international market, lets face it a team like All Blacks would get a pittance comparitively if it was just for local market. I don't even know what Ineos and Altrad are into.
Similarly as you say Adam, Cadbury is actually owned by a British company Mondelez, so are looking probably at international market.
Ineos is owned by an English Billionaire, Jim Ratcliffe who owns a chemical company, and a cycling team for fun. I find him interesting as he seems to have pet projects too, he missed old school landrovers so started his own company that now make 4wd's. (I am on waiting list!). He also owns a soccer club, an Ameria's cup yaucht, funded the sub 2hr marathon attempt, sponsors F1 and tried to buy Chelsea.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Does anyone else watch games on delay and skip through stoppages?

I regularly do this, primarily due to putting kids to bed and spending time with the missus before watching a game.

This week has been an interesting week, we have had U20's, Australia A and the Wallabies all play and I have had to change how I skip breaks in play.

When a scrum is awarded for the Wallabies (and Super Rugby) you can generally skip 1 minute and not miss the feed, I have discovered "A" games need about 40 seconds and U20's about 30 seconds.

When a ball is kicked into touch at Wallaby and Super Level it is usually about 40 seconds until the throw if it is a decent kick, 30 seconds for a poor kick. "A" games are 30 seconds max and the U20's was down to 20 seconds.

I have never really cared about the stoppages in Rugby as I just take it to be part of the game as it is played nowadays, but this week has highlighted how much time is wasted at Test level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ineos is owned by an English Billionaire, Jim Ratcliffe who owns a chemical company, and a cycling team for fun. I find him interesting as he seems to have pet projects too, he missed old school landrovers so started his own company that now make 4wd's. (I am on waiting list!). He also owns a soccer club, an Ameria's cup yaucht, funded the sub 2hr marathon attempt, sponsors F1 and tried to buy Chelsea.

I responded on this vehicle here rather than go further off topic.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Does anyone else watch games on delay and skip through stoppages?

I regularly do this, primarily due to putting kids to bed and spending time with the missus before watching a game.

This week has been an interesting week, we have had U20's, Australia A and the Wallabies all play and I have had to change how I skip breaks in play.

When a scrum is awarded for the Wallabies (and Super Rugby) you can generally skip 1 minute and not miss the feed, I have discovered "A" games need about 40 seconds and U20's about 30 seconds.

When a ball is kicked into touch at Wallaby and Super Level it is usually about 40 seconds until the throw if it is a decent kick, 30 seconds for a poor kick. "A" games are 30 seconds max and the U20's was down to 20 seconds.

I have never really cared about the stoppages in Rugby as I just take it to be part of the game as it is played nowadays, but this week has highlighted how much time is wasted at Test level.

Yeah I often do, and i find most rugby matches can be watched in around 40min if you skip through all the stoppages and time-killing aspects like that.

I'd like to see time limits applied on the attacking team from the moment they have a penalty awarded to throwing in the lineout. There also needs to be time limits applied on forming scrums.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I often do, and i find most rugby matches can be watched in around 40min if you skip through all the stoppages and time-killing aspects like that.

I'd like to see time limits applied on the attacking team from the moment they have a penalty awarded to throwing in the lineout. There also needs to be time limits applied on forming scrums.
Scrums are the cricket equivalent of drink breaks - maybe throw in a little tape and a massage for those knots that just won't go away

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I think most of us like that idea Adam, just not sure how to make it work.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think most of us like that idea Adam, just not sure how to make it work.
I don't think it would be too hard to use a timer that is visible at the ground that commences when the touchie raises their flag. The hard bit would be determining how long and what happens if the timer is not beaten.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Scrums are the cricket equivalent of drink breaks - maybe throw in a little tape and a massage for those knots that just won't go away

Maybe - but only half of the team not involved in the heavyweight boxing round happening on centre stage.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I like the idea like many seem to but it's hard to ever imagine them enforcing this.

With the Cricket references it got me wondering if they had a time limit that was not enforced during the match but after in regards to financial fines and potential suspensions for players after repeated offences. As what they do about slow over rates.... injuries, distance etc can all be taken into account in review.

Rae Rae

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Goal kicks is another area. You can always stop the clock, but if we want a premium on fitness that only does so much. I think a warning from the ref with trouble following repeated warnings.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it would be too hard to use a timer that is visible at the ground that commences when the touchie raises their flag. The hard bit would be determining how long and what happens if the timer is not beaten.
Yep because we all know the team who is not responsible for throwing the ball in will do whatever they can to slow ball down, especially if they get ball turned over, same applies to scrums, I don't think stopping the clock is answer as it will be easier to waste more time?

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Yep because we all know the team who is not responsible for throwing the ball in will do whatever they can to slow ball down, especially if they get ball turned over, same applies to scrums, I don't think stopping the clock is answer as it will be easier to waste more time?

One idea might be that if the timer runs out the team in possession has to immediately take a tap & go?

Less incentive for the opposing team to waste time as they don't get a major advantage from it, but the attacking team will still want to be quicker as a scrum/line out is better attacking platform.