• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Mann-Rea got 1 week for punching and Henry Speight has a facial injury that could rule him out this week.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
What the hell is going on at Brumbies HQ, I thought this Jones fella was a weirdo when he lashed Moore after signing with QLD, and comments like this have reaffirmed that opinion.. It sounds like he is threatening to take the Brumbies down if people keep pressuring him:

“If it persists, it’s not a veiled threat it’s a very real threat, I only know how to act and that is you can’t fight half a war,” Jones told ABC Grandstand.

“So if I go to war, it’s going to be ugly and there are going to be a lot of people who get burned by it. I desperately don’t want to do that, so all I’m asking is for the people out there who are having a hack at me, they know who they are, back off.

“I think this cancer that’s currently affecting us is only bad for the Brumbies and unless it’s turned around, is ultimately going to be terminal for the Brumbies. You just can’t withstand this stuff perpetually, it will eat away at the organisation.”

“It will have a major impact on Australian rugby, because if the Brumbies cease to be an entity, which is one of the very foreseeable outcomes – and has been a stated outcome of some of the people having a hack at us – if that is allowed to happen, the ARU will be in default of the SANZAAR agreement, because they are required to field five teams every week.

“And if this organisation folds and goes into administration the ARU is in default. They are big stakes games that a lot of these guys are playing, and it’s fairly irresponsible of most of them to do it. They are looking at self-interest rather than the interest of the organisation. I’m trying to avoid the fight – I’ve been taking hits since December, I weathered the storm, and it’s the same guys again.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/826e38df1a4d96742312efc2033aece3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was somewhat amused to see that he wants to sue Prof. Stephen Parker for defamation. Not sure of the case details, but going up against a Lawyer and former Dean of the Monash University Law Faculty is a little dumb. I knew Stephen back in my time at Monash Uni and he always seemed nice.

Still, the apparent threats to tear everything down is just plain stupid. Besides the fact it won't happen, it will probably inflict irreparable damage to his reputation in the sports management industry. Who would want to sire a wrecking ball like that?

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought I'd read that Parker was suing Jones, not the other way around.

Also I suspect you'll find that the seriousness of the police investigation is probably causing the strain. I'll give Jones the benefit of the doubt here, because the sale of Griffith was supposed to sure up the Brumbies long term, but that money has all but disappeared now. I'd say it's sensible to investigate why that is, instead of placating the old boys club too much.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I thought I'd read that Parker was suing Jones, not the other way around.

Also I suspect you'll find that the seriousness of the police investigation is probably causing the strain. I'll give Jones the benefit of the doubt here, because the sale of Griffith was supposed to sure up the Brumbies long term, but that money has all but disappeared now. I'd say it's sensible to investigate why that is, instead of placating the old boys club too much.

ah yes, you're right, its the opposite way around. Same theory still applies; Prof. Parker comes across as a nice guy, so you woulds have to have really pissed him off for him to consider defamation. Wouldn't like Jones's chances in a defamation case either.

I haven't tracked the sale of Griffith too closely, but for Jones to call in the AFP it does seem fairly bad.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
ah yes, you're right, its the opposite way around. Same theory still applies; Prof. Parker comes across as a nice guy, so you woulds have to have really pissed him off for him to consider defamation. Wouldn't like Jones's chances in a defamation case either.

I haven't tracked the sale of Griffith too closely, but for Jones to call in the AFP it does seem fairly bad.
Yes, it's Parker making the defamation threats and there is a possibility of a link to the materials that has been referred to the AFP. Also of note is that not all involved with UC supported the Brumbies sponsorship and the use of UC money on non-educational programs.

2 issues in play here.

Quick search of the Canberra times will give you article from the weekend which gives you some insight in to the UC / Brumbies deal and Griffith sale issues. IMHO the big clue being overlooked here is the lack of UC link to the Brumbies now other than as landlord and minor off field education tie ups. The key question Jones has is how you spend $7Mil and don't end up with any equity in your investment?

More searching of the cbr times you will find an article from last week about the legal action by a person claiming to have not been paid for the Aquis sponsorship hookup. The interesting twist in this one is Jones first meeting with this person allegedly was canned mid meeting by Jones as he didn't see the point and the guy wasn't an Aquis rep. The guy is alleging that he had already met with the Brumbies via the previous Brumbies boss and some others in the organisation.

So although Jones might be coming off as a ranting and raving loony, he may be more than justified and be fighting a very good fight.

The criticism levelled at him about the Pocock negotiations didn't have an impact. In business what is said publicly at times can be for strategic reasons. No club has ever had a sabbatical in a contract so he would have needed to hold the position of any club until the ARU provided advice and got involved. The statement served a purpose and forced the discussions. I would bet by that stage the situation and understanding between Jones, Pocock and his management was very different.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^^^^^^^^ The other thing to note is this is all pre-dates Jones. Some of this appears to have emerged from the Governance clean up that Jones did with the ARU.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So it appears that some (if not the majority) of this mess was under the watch of Andrew Fagan. Can anything be read into this? He seemed to leave for Adelaide in hurry, but then again he might just have got an offer he couldn't refuse. I'd imagine the step from Rugby to AFL would be excellent for the career.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure who did what or how it came about ( incompetence, poor decisions, circumstance, best option at the time or differing business opinions) but at least he is trying to fix it. So far he has delivered a lot of positive things at the Brumbies even if unpopular.

I am still not a fan of the Jersey but ate my humble pie after the sales results thus far.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
No news on who fills in for him? I'm inly seeing the tweets you've no doubt seen.

Right when the Brumbies are build good momentum, this happens. I feel for the players right now and hope it doesn't affect them that badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh dear.........

I suppose there was a bit of the 'Mark Lathams' about his personality.........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Craig Leseberg will be acting CEO.

Jones has been stood down, not sacked at this stage and has the right to appeal.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, can somebody sum up what's going on here?

Because it seems to me like Jones has been doing quite a good job, despite rubbing some people the wrong way............

Is the action deserved, or is the board potentially damaging the club to serve their own self interests?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Had to happen. Right or wrong, you can't threaten to bring down the organisation you head. He's obviously cracked under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.