• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies can't afford to pay out Jones' contract can they? Sounds like he's going to get his money's worth one way or another

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I listened to the radio interview.

Jones is under pressure and said something to the effect of opening a full war, albeit reluctantly, which could get ugly. Also that if (only an if, mind you) the club went belly-up as some have suggested is possible - although Jones himself denied they were in that sort of strife at the start of the interview, then there would be consequences for the ARU within SANZAAR.

Those things, I'd say, are true. Perhaps not street smart, though.

The difference for Jones (and dare I say it, Papworth) compared to other more, ahem, traditional administrators is that they aired their views directly.

The other way is for these things to be filtered through the media via a favoured journo or opinion column squatter. The original source remains anonymous and untouched.

The difference between Jones and Pappy, of course, is that Jones can read a balance sheet ...
I am starting to wonder if the rant was a bit strategic. He knew they could oust him and he got enough out in the public realm to make people see there are real issues and stop it bring swept under the carpet.

Knowing Jones has had links for many years with the Brumbies I think he may be willing to make the sacrifice for what he believes is the best thing for a club he genuinely has a passion for.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
While the ARU was involved in the referral to the police by the Brumbies of the university move, it’s understood their support stemmed purely on the back of an independent audit conducted by forensic analysts.

Police are believed to be examining up to 50,000 emails and documents from 2009-2013 relating to the deal, in which their Griffith base was sold for $11.375 million.

Jones has said publicly that his referral did not relate to any current Brumbies employees and there was no money missing, but that he had found several “anomalies” which he referred to forensic accountants KPMG, who then concluded it should be further investigated by authorities.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...s/news-story/e4f8e8735afa144dfe9b7e87cdd44d37

KPMG wouldn't have recomended referral to the AFP without good reason. I do not agree with the way Jones conducted himself in that interview but am also concerned that Pulver doesn't seem to concerned about ongoing management of a Super Rugby franchise. After the KPMG investigation he would have no option but to support further action and the first paragraph implies it was reluctant. Seems like a face saving move in getting rid of Jones and no real desire to get to the bottom of any mismangement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There have already been whispers of plans for leadership beyond Jones' tenure, with speculation that former Brumby and Wallaby Joe Roff could be moved into a head of rugby position while Canberra FM boss Eoghan​ O'Byrne or former Brumbies general manager Michael Thomson could be options.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/michael-jones-to-fight-for-his-act-brumbies-job-after-being-stood-down-by-board-20160321-gno05k.html#ixzz43acG7Qzv

*Palm planted right through face*

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If I am correct in the radio interview when Gavel was referring to the defimation action he refers to an alleged email sent from Jones to Roff.

I think we are now seeing the cast of this production previously unnamed being unmasked. Based on the names and the advanced nature of the alleged replacement plans it suggests power play.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Though I dislike the whole situation and nature of it all, and there will be fallout and damage I am starting to hope Jones does fight so we can get this his shit dealt with.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Reports (Gavel) suggesting Jones is set to fight the decisions to stand him down. It would certainly ensure the facts come out.
According to Tim Gavel Jones has confirmed that he will be taking legal action against the Brumbies after being stood down.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
According to Wayne Smith in the Oz, the Brumbies lawyers advised against the UC deal but they went ahead with it anyways....

Shit is going to get interesting over the coming weeks.

Any chance of a snip? It's behind the paywall.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If I am correct in the radio interview when Gavel was referring to the defimation action he refers to an alleged email sent from Jones to Roff.

I think we are now seeing the cast of this production previously unnamed being unmasked. Based on the names and the advanced nature of the alleged replacement plans it suggests power play.
Power play at the Brumbies. Seriously no ;)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think that Joe Roff would entertain the idea of being CEO right now as he was the recipient of the email in question that will be before the courts this afternoon in the defamation case.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Wait hold up I'm an idiot who is missing something, can some explain simply what the problem is with the UC deal?

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wait hold up I'm an idiot who is missing something, can some explain simply what the problem is with the UC deal?

Using most of the profits from the Griffith sale to occupy a building at UC that you don't own. The Brumbies have no property in their bottom line. At least the reds have 18 million worth of property.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Parker. UC Chancellor has launched defimation action against Jones. Urgent listing, so before the court at 2:30 today. Grounds still unknown.

Curiouser and curiouser!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
All happening at the Canberra Courts right now.

So with the above still happening, Jones legal team have launched his action (against Brumbies) about 15mins ago!

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jones is an ex fighter pilot and a forthright individual
.he won't slink off like a shrinking violet , let the games begin .....shame about the rugby ...in a year the brumbies have a shot at the title no less.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
At this stage, i'm pitchforking my colours to Jones' post.

Who be with me? Arrr!
While not completely onboard, excuse the pun, I'm with him, only because I think he had good intentions, even if he had a lousy way of communicating it.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.