• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm Getting pissed off at all The kiwi's saying pocock put leitch in a guillotine choke and got away with it. Anyone that knows anything about bjj knows that wasn't a guillotine choke at all. No one is going to sleep in that hold. Hence why leitch didn't go to sleep

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

It was even worse than a guillotine choke with pressure placed directly on the windpipe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really?
My recollection is that many were stunned by the audacity of the Tahs claim that Latu was scheduled to play in a club game.
Claiming it to be common practice,does not diminish the taint of cynicism over the episode.
You are normally good at citing examples to back up your POV, but not this time?

People were stunned because they have short and/or non-existent memories. Ian Prior's suspension included a bye counting as a match about a month before Latu's suspension.

Ian Prior was suspended last year and the bye counted as a match in 2015.

Owen Franks used a club game to count as one match of a two match suspension in 2015.

Ben McCalman was suspended for two weeks of which one club game counted as a match when they had a bye in 2013.

It seems that any time a team has argued that the player would have played club rugby during a bye week it is accepted and that counts as a week.

There are plenty of examples where the team hasn't seemed to argue that and the then the bye week doesn't count as a match (like Pocock in this example).

Clearly this should be cleared up so it is consistent and I think they should just make it so the bye counts as a match.

I don't understand why people view this as being so cynical. It's a subjective situation where there is uncertainty first over whether someone will be cited for what they did and then how the judiciary officer will grade it in terms of severity. There is then some uncertainty over whether they will apply extra weeks as a deterrent and/or subtract weeks for clean records and pleading guilty.

Why would you not try and achieve the best outcome possible for you and your team?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And you're guessing it wasn't? You really don't want to see your idol fall

He hasn't made any guess or assumption about what was done beyond Pocock grabbing Leitch around the neck.

The point is no one knows exactly where specific pressure was applied or what Pocock's intentions were.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
He hasn't made any guess or assumption about what was done beyond Pocock grabbing Leitch around the neck.

The point is no one knows exactly where specific pressure was applied or what Pocock's intentions were.

We know what happened though. Pocock will forever more be on the level of eye gougers and the like.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We know what happened though. Pocock will forever more be on the level of eye gougers and the like.

Great hyperbole.

He grabbed a player round the neck and was suspended for it.

He committed an offence that has a low level entry point of 2 weeks, medium of 4 and high end of 8 weeks.

Eye gouging has a low end of 12 weeks, mid range of 18 weeks and high end of 24 to 208 weeks.

Totally the same though. Thanks for your contribution.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know why people are getting riled up about Pocock's suspension. He has been suspended for 3 weeks. That's it. He can't play for 3 weeks. Simple. It's not a x number of matches suspension, its a time period so the discussion on how many matches he will miss is completely moot.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Worse then a guillotine choke? You have no. Idea what you're talking about. Pocock is a class player and bloke. To say that it was worse because of the position of his wrist is ridiculous as you cant see his wrist and he is walking backwards. Try to choke someone out whole 8 guys are pushing you backwards. Plus he only used one arm. He needed to use 2 arms to complete any form of legitimate choke. Don't pretend you know things about other sports when you dont have any idea

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
People were stunned because they have short and/or non-existent memories. Ian Prior's suspension included a bye counting as a match about a month before Latu's suspension.

Ian Prior was suspended last year and the bye counted as a match in 2015.

Owen Franks used a club game to count as one match of a two match suspension in 2015.

Ben McCalman was suspended for two weeks of which one club game counted as a match when they had a bye in 2013.

It seems that any time a team has argued that the player would have played club rugby during a bye week it is accepted and that counts as a week.

There are plenty of examples where the team hasn't seemed to argue that and the then the bye week doesn't count as a match (like Pocock in this example).

Clearly this should be cleared up so it is consistent and I think they should just make it so the bye counts as a match.

I don't understand why people view this as being so cynical. It's a subjective situation where there is uncertainty first over whether someone will be cited for what they did and then how the judiciary officer will grade it in terms of severity. There is then some uncertainty over whether they will apply extra weeks as a deterrent and/or subtract weeks for clean records and pleading guilty.

Why would you not try and achieve the best outcome possible for you and your team?

I actually thought the best and most believable example (cough cough) was when Michael Hooper was apparently going to play for Manly the week before the Bledisloe Cup. He served his suspension by missing the SS match, possibly a semi I think, then was free to play against the Kiwis. Would love to know how many starting Wallabies are released to play club rugby before a Bledisloe.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
When is Episode 2 of the Jones drama being played out in the courts?

From what I can gather, episode 2 is currently playing out with no fixed date for the curtain call.

His Honour is awaiting copies of each of the scripts from all the cast members to makesure his ending ties it all up; then the cliff hanger he is penning will be suitably ended with the AFP taking over creative control in series 4. I think series 3 will be split between the civil action and the Board spill(s).

Jones the next day went to the Supreme Court with 120 pages of documents and hit the Brumbies board with a wrongful dismissal claim. Justice Richard Refshauge has reserved his decision but allowed Jones to return to work while gagging the board.
Meanwhile, a whole range of Supreme Court subpoenas served on the Australian Rugby Union, University of Canberra officials, ACT government leaders and the Brumbies board for all their private emails and phone calls relating to Jones must be returned within 14 days.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

You're seriously likening what Pocock did to e.g. Richard Loe & Troy Flavell? At least wait until he, like them, is a serial offender. Again, I'm not arguing that what DP did wasn't wrong (it was) or didn't deserve stronger punishment (it did) but comparing it to gouging is just OTT.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Poey Tweet.JPG

http://www.davidpocock.com/davidpocock/

Status
Not open for further replies.