• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Van Nek and Kautai, who both had plenty of game time this year with AAA's injuries...

I see Van Nek has yet to re-sign, but I would assume he's in for a big year with AAA out and being called up to one of Eddie's training squads.
Van Nek & Schouuup coul dbe something fun in the future.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not a lot of movement on new signings for '24, Are we to assume that Bernie is substantially satisfied with the squad as it is, and any holes can be filled from Academy/U20s or JID teams?

We seem to be ok for 24 at Hooker, but there must be a possibility that Connal McInerney will finish next year. Will Bowron be ready for promotion from the U20s?

Prop is also an area where we seem to have good cover at least for next year. Unfortunate that we lost De Luitis to the Reds. He was immense in the U20s this year before injury knocked him out of the World Championships. Still, tying up Van Nek for a couple of years would be a huge benefit.

Lock looks good, but we need to get Tom Hooper on a longer contract. Another top level lock might be needed to replace SWain if he leaves next year or Tom if he moves permanently to the backrow.

The backrow is looking very skinny atm, We need both Jahrome Brown and Charlie Cale tied down before they get snaffled elsewhere. CC on a long term I reckon.

We need at least one more No 9. Klayton Thorn should be one and will improve behind Lonergan and Goddard. Seamus Smith too?

No 10 looks ok for 24, but both Noah and JD contracts are due to expire next year. Declan Meredith has been playing 10 in the JID. Can he be a longer term answer. Pity we didn't go all out for Harry McLachlan-Phillips out of the U20s, but he's apparently now signed with the Reds.

Centre and wing spots are well covered for 24, but most have contracts that expire next year. Need to extend those that are worthy or be on the lookout for new talent.

Fullback looks good for a couple of years.

Coaching staff is a bit light on too with only Bernie on the books for next year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not a lot of movement on new signings for '24, Are we to assume that Bernie is substantially satisfied with the squad as it is, and any holes can be filled from Academy/U20s or JID teams?

We seem to be ok for 24 at Hooker, but there must be a possibility that Connal McInerney will finish next year. Will Bowron be ready for promotion from the U20s?

Prop is also an area where we seem to have good cover at least for next year. Unfortunate that we lost De Luitis to the Reds. He was immense in the U20s this year before injury knocked him out of the World Championships. Still, tying up Van Nek for a couple of years would be a huge benefit.

Lock looks good, but we need to get Tom Hooper on a longer contract. Another top level lock might be needed to replace SWain if he leaves next year or Tom if he moves permanently to the backrow.

The backrow is looking very skinny atm, We need both Jahrome Brown and Charlie Cale tied down before they get snaffled elsewhere. CC on a long term I reckon.

We need at least one more No 9. Klayton Thorn should be one and will improve behind Lonergan and Goddard. Seamus Smith too?

No 10 looks ok for 24, but both Noah and JD contracts are due to expire next year. Declan Meredith has been playing 10 in the JID. Can he be a longer term answer. Pity we didn't go all out for Harry McLachlan-Phillips out of the U20s, but he's apparently now signed with the Reds.

Centre and wing spots are well covered for 24, but most have contracts that expire next year. Need to extend those that are worthy or be on the lookout for new talent.

Fullback looks good for a couple of years.

Coaching staff is a bit light on too with only Bernie on the books for next year.
Ben Mowen has also signed on as an assistant coach.

I think you might still be in need of another prop after loosing De Lutiis, with Ala'alatoa's return likely to be during the season and managed. Unless you move Slipper across I don't think there's any cover at tight head for the start of the season (assuming Van Nek/Kautai in the 23). It might be ok, but the amount of rugby Slipper has played the last few years, and still has to play this year, there's got to be a risk of overworking him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ben Mowen to be officially announced as Assistant Coach, replacing Laurie Fisher today, presumably as defence coach. John Ulugia also to be announced as scrum coach replacing Dan Palmer. According to the Canberra Times today, Rod Seib is continuing as attack coach.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_8951.jpeg

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

In preparation for the 2024 Harvey Norman Super Rugby Pacific season, the tour will serve as a formalised development vehicle, by providing a platform for performance growth and social connection.

Historically, tours similar to this have proved beneficial to Brumbies’ Championship success. In 1995 the Brumbies toured Japan, as well as the UK in 1997. The 2001 Super 12 Championship winning team comprised of 14-players that participated in one or both tours.

BentSpoke John I Dent Cup standouts Liam Bowron, Baden Godfrey, Henry Palmer, Sila Titiuti, Jack Hardy, Pedro Rolando, and Joe Wadman, former McDougall Medallist Will Sankey, new lock recruit, Lachlan Shaw and new signing, halfback Harrison Goddard will join the 2023 Brumbies squad to tour Japan.

ACT Brumbies head coach Stephen Larkham said: “We’ve assembled a strong squad compiled of our contracted players, our Elite Development Squad and players from the John I Dent Cup.

“Our coaching staff have been closely watching the local BentSpoke John I Dent Cup and we have identified a number of highly talented young men, who we think are deserving of the opportunity.

“This tour will be a great opportunity for players and staff to develop their relationship and welcome new players into the Brumbies environment.

“We’re really looking forward to the cultural experience and strengthening our relationship with Suntory Sungoliath and BlackRams Tokyo.”

ACT Brumbies v Suntory Sungoliath

Saturday 7 October, 13:00 at Sapporo Dome, Sapporo

ACT Brumbies v Black Rams Tokyo

Saturday 14 October, 13:00 at Ricoh Fields, Tokyo

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Only area I can see is the brums going backwards in is the props. 7A's & Sio gone & Slips another year older & Delutis has gone back to qld.

LL & BP getting better & prob the best lock pairing in aus on their day with good loosies.

The back line looks solid & Goddard off the bench at 21 might add something different to the old school game management of White/Lonergan

If they can hold up in the scrum yet again the best aus side I reckon

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Only area I can see is the brums going backwards in is the props. 7A's & Sio gone & Slips another year older & Delutis has gone back to qld.

LL & BP getting better & prob the best lock pairing in aus on their day with good loosies.

The back line looks solid & Goddard off the bench at 21 might add something different to the old school game management of White/Lonergan

If they can hold up in the scrum yet again the best aus side I reckon
White has gone to the Force

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
A few notable admissions (in my opinion) from the touring squad -

Lachlan Hooper
Titi Nofoagatotoa
Harry Vella
Sefo Kautai
Jarrah McLeod (huge potential)

Any insights on their admissions (injured, overseas etc)?