• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds Super Rugby round 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eh, I think the above posts reflect that not only are you lot the most ungracious in defeat... But you're awful in victory too...

Anyways, congrats to the Reds... Brumbies just weren't up to it tonight...

T

TOCC

Greg Martin.

Morahan playing well has fuck all to do with Cooper being back.

Nothing. Zip. Nada.

For god's sake you are a grown man.

So let me get this straight.. You are saying the performance of a outside back has absolutely no relevance to who is playing 5/8..... hmm

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Walsh was certainly pedantic, but I didn't think he overly favoured one side. Bit hard to ref the breakdown when there is no clear mandate from the powers that be. I think the call at the end was dubious, as was the tomane-Fainga'a incident.

Ugly game, happy we came away with the points. Needed a bit of luck after the run of injuries this season.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So should faainga have been penalised when the ball was 20m away and tomane went out of his way to push him in the back?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No mate. No bad reflection at all on the young fella there. End of the game and suffering from cramp. But they had to have a go.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From a neutral perspective, Walsh was officious (as he always is, so the players ought to fucking know by now) and was pretty accurate from what I saw. There were, for the main, clear penalties, and both sides gave him every opportunity to ping them - Reds had a lot of players interfering on the ground and lying in the way, Brumbies lost their feet a lot, got isolated too much in attack. Plus, they all should know that chirping at him relentlessly won't work.
Surprised Reds tired to out-kick Brumbies, Surprised the Brumbies didn't try more mauls, rather than on-off pick and goes that got turned over.
Hopefully Horwill is OK.
Not a huge number of positives to take otherwise, apart from the Reds taking 4 points.
Hopefully rational minds post in this thread.
Short fuse on any shit.
Think of me like Steve!!

E

ellabroz

Reds exceedingly negative tonight. Brumbies were dumb, not releasing the ball into the backs. Should have spun the ball after the 6th phase on multiple occasions.

MOTM - Steve Walsh. Well played!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's really just a shame that the Brumbies have left their two worst performances this year for the Reds...

Should hopefully bounce back next week...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That was the epitome of dire. There really isn't a lot one can say about that game, nobody shone, nobody did anything of any real note apart from Morahan's moment of individual brilliance (so he'd have to get my man of the match) A couple of observations in any case.

1. Both sides kicked more than the Tahs have at any stage this year BUT in general the kicks were better executed, chased or the return defended.
2. Walsh appeared to me to feel the pressure of this top of the table (Oz conference) and reacted to every little incident like the metophorical cracking an egg with a sledge hammer. From memory he has done this in the past a few times both in Oz and NZ (eg. Tahs V Brumbies last year). He also wasn't help well by his touchies in some telling instances. Walsh is a very good referee when he is calm and measured, tonight he seemed angry and out of sorts right from the start.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I loved cranky Steve Walsh.
Fully expected holmes to kick the last penalty.
Can't believe they missed the hand in the scrum
who has won more games This season? Reds or Brumbies?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Scotty - he (and his brother for that matter) fall on the wrong side very often when they tackle. Many refs will not look favourably on that and haven't been this season especially when they see ball coming out and then it gets messy.

I know it seems "impossible" but most refs have a feel when players try stuff on. I must say when I saw that I immediately thought Walsh would whistle. The pick n go immediately before I thought the Reds were lucky. It was noticeable what they were doing with sending a fatty in low to take the ball carriers legs out ( not really tackling but just trying to stop the opposition player) and then have guys in over the top. S. Finger did that but just staying on the Ponies side. IMO its a very high risk play because it immediately puts you in a penalisable position.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds exceedingly negative tonight. Brumbies were dumb, not releasing the ball into the backs. Should have spun the ball after the 6th phase on multiple occasions.

I agree about not getting it out, although McCabe ran lateral on a number of occasions tonight. There were a lot of errors and that may have been the instructions.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's really just a shame that the Brumbies have left their two worst performances this year for the Reds...

Should hopefully bounce back next week...

Brumbies seemed scared in the 2nd half to give their backs the ball for any purpose other than kick it away.

Tomane's talent wasted tonight.

Well done to the Reds for winning in Canberra two years in a row and keeping their season alive.

Pocock for Wallabies captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.