• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Hurricanes Round 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why Joe Powell is not being played is completely beyond me. Much better than dowsett and a local talent !

Well, the coaching staff obviously thought different. He'll get his shots this season. Rugby is a hugely physical game and squad depth is very important.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Whoop whoop. Well done Brumbies. Smashing.

But don't wear yourselves out. Play another one like that and then give your fellas a rest for Round 3.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Most impressive period for me was the brumbies attack just before half time. The canes looked utterly spent while the Brumbies looked like they had another twenty minutes in them. It was like the Brums were the kiwi team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hurricanes clearly missing Nonu and Smith, but I'm sure that if they were asked, they would concede that they were beaten by a very good side playing extremely good rugby tonight. If they (Hurricanes) are as bad as some posters on here would have us believe, I would be extremely worried about how the Saders will fare on the strength of their hiding last week by the Canes.

Brumbies were simply too good in attack and defense, and if they are able to replicate that form in games to come, they will give this competition a real shake.

Interesting side note, that many followers of other teams had forecast the demise of the Brumbies rolling maul. Two tries tonight, and the most devastating rolling maul seen on a rugby field since Adam was a kid. Almost unstoppable from near the tryline, and dangerous from anywhere within the opposition's half.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Outstanding first round match didnt look dusty... Absolutely dominate with ball in hand.. wrapped them up and posted them home with zero points from the mainland... Well done gents..

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jeez I enjoyed that game.
Richie picked a good year to retire if thats the new style of over the ball referring.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That was a top effort by the Brumbies. I think a lot of it was the benefits of the RWC campaign shining through, not only the players but also Larkham being involved in the coaching. The whole outfit just seemed to play with a lot more intensity than they have for the past couple of seasons. Also good to see Lilo/To'omua playing in their 'right' jerseys.

Early days yet but I feel 2016 is going to be the year for the Aussies, not only the Wallabies but the Soup teams as well. Brumbies deserved early favs of the Aussie teams....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Christian and Matty had 10 and 12 respectively, but Matty lined up at 10 on every defensive scrum and lineout (except when he was off for 10 minutes). Doesn't matter which numbers they have, they will swap and change according to circumstances.

That said, the backline is looking especially sharp in attack with Christian at 10.

Interesting observation when Poey was in the bin late in the game. On an own-feed scrum near the tryline, Nigel Ah Wong joined the scrum on the side. Having played No 6 most of his career in Qld (I believe) he is certainly a better option than most wingers to deputise in the scrum.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Peter Johnson (47)

galumay said:
Finally Poey gets sent to the naughty chair - about 40 mins later than he should have been. Surprisingly seemingly incapable of playing within the rules as applied by the ref.​
(Are you talking about when the ref penalties him and says I didn't see it but I believe he didn't release, it was the right call but to card something you don't see is a big call. First game we are finding the edge of the law. )Tomikin​
Actually the ref said I didn't see him release!! Not quite the same as saying I didn't see it! I a little surprised Poey didn't adjust and make sure there was a real clear release, but fair play the ref let him stay on until he had penalised him 4 times for the same offence, so Poey must of thought it worth the risk.​
I was very impressed with Hardy in the game, thought he was bloody good, mind you whole Brumbies team looked well coached and more importantly very very keen to get stuck in. The Canes were well of pace, but I suspect you not going to have to be to far off to get a hiding from the Brumbies this year if that game any indication.​

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Don't know if you guys do a points thread but I'd go 3. Moore 2. Fardy 1. Tomane. I'd then have most of the Brumbies team in after that before the best of the 'Canes start to appear!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> If they (Hurricanes) are as bad as some posters on here would have us believe, I would be extremely worried about how the Saders will fare on the strength of their hiding last week by the Canes. <snip>

While trial form and scores really count for little, forget how the CruSadists will do, look to the North and think Red.

The Ponies could crack the tonne against the Reds. They struggled in a trial against the Crusaders, who in turn were soundly thrashed by the Hurricanes who were then soundly thrashed by the Ponies last night.

Lucky our game is not an engineering science, and results can vary markedly from what an analysis of relative strengths of the individual players and recent team history suggest that should be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Have you not seen Andrew Lees with the whistle before?;)

It was amusing Pocock seemed to want more communication as to when he was being naughty, Lees just said work it out yourself

Pocock should have been binned much earlier

The Brumbies played well, but the Canes were so passive; and then they started worrying about next week

G

galumay

I guess either Poey was playing a McCaw like strategy, or he caught Moore's hopeless attitude with Refs. If Poey knew that he could blatantly offend with impunity because Lee's was unlikely to use the card despite repeated and obvious penalty offences - then it was McCaw like. On the other hand if he was just offending at the breakdown and totally ignoring the ref's direction then its going to cost the Brumbies plenty of YCs this season. Very few refs would have tolerated the repeated offences for the same rule, by the same player. Moore certainly didnt help, he just seems intent on pissing off referees.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Peter Johnson (47)

Actually the ref said I didn't see him release!! Not quite the same as saying I didn't see it! I a little surprised Poey didn't adjust and make sure there was a real clear release, but fair play the ref let him stay on until he had penalised him 4 times for the same offence, so Poey must of thought it worth the risk.​
I was very impressed with Hardy in the game, thought he was bloody good, mind you whole Brumbies team looked well coached and more importantly very very keen to get stuck in. The Canes were well of pace, but I suspect you not going to have to be to far off to get a hiding from the Brumbies this year if that game any indication.​

Your probably right, but he also mentioned to Moore he was on the other side of the ruck.. I don't think he saw him move but he also wasn't sure he didn't. It's tough to card him at that point... that's my thoughts.. Poey didn't get caught again or do it again untill the 75 min.. so this complaining he should have gone earlier I think's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.