• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Hurricanes Round 1 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
While trial form and scores really count for little, forget how the CruSadists will do, look to the North and think Red.

The Ponies could crack the tonne against the Reds. They struggled in a trial against the Crusaders, who in turn were soundly thrashed by the Hurricanes who were then soundly thrashed by the Ponies last night.

Lucky our game is not an engineering science, and results can vary markedly from what an analysis of relative strengths of the individual players and recent team history suggest that should be.

Is that a RG post match press conference speech?

Wolfram

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know where I can find a full replay of this match?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it, anybody being interested can pm me.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Pocock certainly had an off night at the breakdown. His timing was off. I'd say he has a bad game, but I'm quite sure he still caused the Canes massive problems at the breakdown.

Hard to pick too many holes in the Brumbies' performance, but one thing I noticed on Friday was that things fell apart a little bit when Cubelli went off. Dowsett was a bit all over the place. He looked uncertain of himself. His service from the ruck was often slow and he threw several wayward passes. Hopefully its just a confidence issue. As he gets more games under his belt he'll get more confidence in his play.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lees was being very conservative in his interpretation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he's consistent, but I have no doubt that some of the penalties that Pocock was done for would've gone the other way just a few months ago, and will likely go the other way as the season rolls on.............

In saying that though, it was in contrast to what was happening in the Tahs v Reds match under Gardner when a number of pilfer attempts were rewarded despite players clearly not releasing, or not supporting their body weight, or defenders lying all over the ball carrier.........

In those conditions Pocock might've had a field day.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Lees was being very conservative in his interpretation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he's consistent, but I have no doubt that some of the penalties that Pocock was done for would've gone the other way just a few months ago, and will likely go the other way as the season rolls on.....

In saying that though, it was in contrast to what was happening in the Tahs v Reds match under Gardner when a number of pilfer attempts were rewarded despite players clearly not releasing, or not supporting their body weight, or defenders lying all over the ball carrier...

That's all true, but as we all know it's about adapting to the refs game, and Pocock failed miserably in that department.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You'd have to say the refs interpretations were largely correct and when the Brums were pinged over the ball they were largely infringing. But the positive is that they are more than a one trick pony.........and found a way to win handsomely anyways.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lees was being very conservative in his interpretation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he's consistent, but I have no doubt that some of the penalties that Pocock was done for would've gone the other way just a few months ago, and will likely go the other way as the season rolls on.....

In saying that though, it was in contrast to what was happening in the Tahs v Reds match under Gardner when a number of pilfer attempts were rewarded despite players clearly not releasing, or not supporting their body weight, or defenders lying all over the ball carrier...

I thought Lees got it right and Gardner got it wrong.

A clear release is required so the attacker has an opportunity to place the ball.

Pocock was too opportunistic and just latched on far too often with no release, let alone a clear release.

Pocock needs to get his timing right as that first player to the ruck again

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought Lees got it right and Gardner got it wrong.

A clear release is required so the attacker has an opportunity to place the ball.

Pocock was too opportunistic and just latched on far too often with no release, let alone a clear release.

Pocock needs to get his timing right as that first player to the ruck again

But I guess the rule they were playing for was that he was first man in, not part of the tackle. So he doesn't have to release the player.

I don't know the rules, and after being pinged a few times the Brumbies should have adjusted. But in the end it didn't matter.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But I guess the rule they were playing for was that he was first man in, not part of the tackle. So he doesn't have to release the player.

I don't know the rules, and after being pinged a few times the Brumbies should have adjusted. But in the end it didn't matter.

I think that was the issue, the ref thought he was too often part of the tackle and needed to demonstrate the release

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Suffice to say the Brums were awesome - shit and that was their first game. Bring on the Tahs - Brums will surely flog 'em if they play the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.