• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Vs Reds. Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Gagger said:
9 - Sanchez: running threat
10 - Cooper: distribution and options (assuming mentally and defensively right)
12 - Giteau/JO'C; gap running
13 - Chambers: ball running and offload
15 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper): copyrighted, indefensible outside break

Yes yes yes. And Hynes+Ioane on wings.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Biffo said:
Spook said:
Rocky fluffed a certain try.

No way! He correctly identified the defensive fortress between himself and the line and wisely passed to a team mate in a better position.

Only cooper was between rock and the line. he should have stomped him.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) cam into the line alot more tonight which helped the Brumbies movement.
gits had a great game. fantastic kicking. still a 12.

QC (Quade Cooper) was good fot mine. was the only thing the reds had in attack.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
louie said:
Biffo said:
Spook said:

No way! He correctly identified the defensive fortress between himself and the line and wisely passed to a team mate in a better position.

We really do need an irony smiley on this forum, don't we? :)

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Biffo said:
louie said:
Biffo said:
Spook said:

Your humour did not go unappreciated, Biffo..... :lmao:

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Well played Brumbies, unlucky not to be up by more at half time. It's a shame that the Brumbies saved there best rugby of the year for this game...and likewise the Reds with their worst game. As a humble Reds fan I am glad you won, might make our boys wake up...but I have a feeling the finals is a bit of a stretch for this very young team.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
todd4 said:
Biffo said:
louie said:
Biffo said:
Spook said:

Your humour did not go unappreciated, Biffo..... :lmao:

Thank you T4. I rather liked it ;)

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I was thinking, and Ben Alexander must surely be getting close to the record of most tries scored by a prop/forward in Super rugby. At least if he keeps going the way he is, he will.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Exactly what I feared! The Brumbies had to put it together eventually and The Reds are the team that copped it! Well done Brumbies. May it be your last win of the year.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wasn't too surprising as the Reds typically put in poor performances vs the Brumbies. Their ruck defence and general organisation on defence was terrible. Kennedy is not up to S14 standard ar scrum time. Can't see him starting next year unless he drastically improves. Weeks will be a big loss for the Reds.

Brumbies forwards outplayed the Reds completely and won them the game. Full credit to them. Better scrum and lineout means dominance of possession plus they effectively punched over the advantage line. Only criticism I have is the taggetting of Cooper around the rucks - whenever Cooper was near a ruck he was hit with a huge cleanout. Cooper appeared to be deliberately targetted and it worked for them.

After the first twenty you knee the Reds were gone. S Finger was not hitting anything anything at lineout time and the Reds scrum was on rollerskates plus the Brumbies forwards were punching over the advantage line at will. Combine that with Cooper's dropped intercept and the ref letting Hoiles run around he ruck illegally to tale out Genia on the Brumbies tryline and you just knew it was a Brumbies night.

Which gets me to Hoiles. Hearing him on sports ears was awful. The ref should've told him to shut it many a time. He Brumbies need to find a new captain with some ref management skills.

BTW I had a chuckle at the irony of he Brumbies running everything for fifteen minutes - even when isolated - and then the first time Gits kicks he had a 5 on 3 overlap. Still wasn't sold on Gits performance either.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was the best back for the Brumbies I thought. Some absutely huge booming kicks. If he just could learn to set up an outside man he was be excellent.

BTW you could tell that the Sevens player at 11 for the Brumbies is not normally a wing. He stood too far up in the defensive line and was rarely back when he should've been for a kick. Miserable failure of the Reds to take advantage. Looked like he could be electric though.

Braid looked to be among the best of an average Reds side.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Read in the Canberra Times that there was 7 players from the 1 school, St Edmunds Canberra, playing in this game last night

S

Spook

Brumbies Guy said:
Read in the Canberra Times that there was 7 players from the 1 school, St Edmunds Canberra, playing in this game last night

:thumb

W

Wazimba2K

I think Cooper is just a local derby hero! He shines at these local games but just can't step up to the plate at the higher international level if played for the full 80 minutes. I think he is a great impact player just not a full 80 minute fly-half!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Brumbies forwards outplayed the Reds completely and won them the game. Full credit to them. Better scrum and lineout means dominance of possession plus they effectively punched over the advantage line. Only criticism I have is the taggetting of Cooper around the rucks - whenever Cooper was near a ruck he was hit with a huge cleanout. Cooper appeared to be deliberately targetted and it worked for them.

Ash,

In the first 50-60 minutes I thought I was watching a Saders or ABs team of old. There appeared to be a lot of illegal cleaning out of Reds defenders that were not involved in the ruck. Cooper was targetted, but it also happened to Genia and Holmes from memory. IMO Valentine's try should have been ruled no try.

This was a pet hate of mine when the ABs used to get away with it all the time. I hope that it doesn't come back.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Haven't had a chance to watch a replay of the game so may settle in this arvo to do it. Obviously disappointed by the result but I thought it might happen before this. Hopefully the Reds can bounce back this weekend but judging by what I have seen in the papers, there are a few injuries, and the Canes are now well and truly back in the mix.

G

Geeves

The game reminded me of the games you would see around Armidale in NSW. You would get the young palyers in the university sides up against older blokes in teams from around the district. The older blokes not being as quick or generally as skillful (i.e Brumbies) woud get right into their newbie faces all game. Constant niggling, cleaning the breakdown markers out, cheep shots at the bottom of the breakdowns and scrums and constant badgering of the ref.

This won them a number of games but didn't win them a lot of friends. What would happen is that the young blokes after a couple of seasons would learn to stand up for themselves. This as mention by others what was missing for the reds was Van Humphries & Horwill. Then when the shit happpened, it was dealt with and quickly stopped. I remember a Bledisole match when Bowman was being targeted by Fitzpatrick. Eales smacked Fitzpatrick in the head, pointed at Bowman and told him to do that to Fitzpartick is he kept it up. I think alll Fitzpatrick did was laugh once he saw it was Eales who found him out.

So well done Brumbies on getting into the Reds faces and disrupting them all night. But next year I hoping that the Reds players remember the game and next time the Brumbies start it come out swinging early. Put a stop to it and get on with the game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good post Geeves. But i hope they learn to enforce themselves around the ground next week, not next year.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Brumbies played above themselves and the Reds played below themselves. There was only going to be one winner and the game was a credit to the Brumbies - I'd love to see them keep it up and join the Reds playing the Stormers and Bulls in SA for the finals (wishful thinking I know). The "what if" I saw in a game that was otherwise a shutout was when the Reds were attacking the Brumbies line and were on the verge of scoring and Genia was illegally cleaned out of halfback. It seemed to really shift the momentum and I wonder if it would have been a closer game if the Reds had gone on to score there. A better team would play above those setbacks though and thus it the Reds deserved to lose. I really hope they pick it up for next week.

D

daz

Strangley enough, I wasn't pulling my hair out or throwing beer bottles at my tv during this game. I suspect that if the Reds had played like this against a non-Oz team, I would have been. However, I was oddly ok with the result.

Some reasons seem to be:

1) Like Marto said on the Rugby club, this may be the game QLD needed to lose. Normally I would fart in their general direction when people say shit like that, but with a young team, sharp end of the tournament, etc, etc, it may be a reasonable boost. Look what happened after the other 3 losses; the boys re-focused nicely. The season now really becomes a knock-out comp, which is a pretty good motivator...

2) As much as it pains me to say, it was a bit of a relief to see some of the key Brumbles hit their straps. Oz rugby needs AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Alexander/Gits/Elsom, etc in form for the start of the international window.

3) Watching this game, I really felt like I was watching an S14 team play an international team. The young Reds really had their decision making time reduced (Quade was a prime example of this!) and while I have been thrilled at the Reds performances this year, I'm convinced that they are still 12 months away from greatness.

All in all, it was a good result for Oz rugby. And given the Reds are still well in the mix in 2010, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.