• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Stormers @ Canberra - 2011R15

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
that's pathetic that the Brumbies aren't letting him join the squad at the same time that they are all getting together. This could harm our World Cup chances and this UNDER 20 WC MUST BE PUT BEFORE ANY PROVINCE!

Steven Kitshoff , the Stormers Ginga fatty on the bench is still U19. The Stormers have first choise on the U20s like all the other SA franchises.

T

TOCC

If you're trying to compare my argument in another thread to you being a petulant twat then you're severely mistaken...

i think most of us on here will have to agree to disagree with you on this one Sliim........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Let me add that with the departure of Hooper and Fainga'a I'm looking forward to seeing Carter get some gametime this year...

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Let me add that with the departure of Hooper and Fainga'a I'm looking forward to seeing Carter get some gametime this year...

I thought he had done his hamstring, or is that just a niggling sort of thing that will put him out for this week only? From all reports he will perform well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A one week layoff for a hamstring injury does not seem likely does it?

Pity; he's a good young player who would relish a shot and has been better in the 2011 games I have seen him play in, than Pyle was this time last year - or at least before Pyle's 2010 injury playing for the Rats. You never know.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not counting Harrison, the Brumbies haven't had a 2m lock since Wallace-Harrison...

Carter/Kimlin could form a solid locking combo if Carter is good enough to run the lineout, or if they recruit a 6 who can...

I don't particularly want Hand in the starting xv...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
speaking of lineouts, Bruce, do you have any involvement in the new machine in the Arena gym which was a complete mystery to me until a mate told me today that he'd asked and was told it was a lineout lifting machine?

it's hard to describe for others and I couldn't find any pics on the net either, but it looks unlike any piece of gym equipment I've seen.

Thank you, Jnor, well spotted.

MyoLifta+Graphic2.gif

This is the first image of the MyoLifta, a revolutionary new machine specifically developed for rugby. It is designed to improve the elevating ability of players lifting and supporting jumpers in the lineout. It can be operated singly or by two players working together. The resistance increases as the tubular pads simulating the jumper's legs are raised.

It is another machine from the MyoQuip stable. As with all our machines the first installation is always in the Sydney Uni gym where there are plenty of enthusiastic lab rats.

I might have to get you to take some photos of the MyoLifta in operation when the front rowers are working out.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bruce, could that be adapted to have more realistic handles? Perhaps a section of a mannequin? Serious question, semi-serious suggestion.

Also, how's Jerry Y's box squat going?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's interesting that the Brumbies had SA referees when they were in South Africa, now get another South African referee when they play the Stormers in Canberra...

Not that having an Australian ref against the Lions helped them in any way...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Since Bonkers got a charge office coffee at Kimberley in a CC match , he seem to favour the home teams, Slimmies. The Stormers had bad luck calls in the Saders and Chiefs games, so hopefull it will cancel out on saturday. Understand Grant is out and Earl Rose flied over as 10 cover. Still only rumours but wont be surprise.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless the Brumbies fix their attitude at the breakdown the refereeing interpretation won't help them...

In attack they need to stop going to ground so quickly and they need to continue last week with their aggressiveness in defence... however, with Salvi in the team I fear that they're going to get heavily penalised...

He's always been the kind of player to push it too far but he's gotten worse... a lot more blatant...

The kind of player you don't want on the field with scores tied defending in your own half, as you know he's going to belly flop into a ruck from the opposition side 10m in front of the posts...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, could that be adapted to have more realistic handles? Perhaps a section of a mannequin? Serious question, semi-serious suggestion.

Also, how's Jerry Y's box squat going?

Yes, DPK, the MyoLifta could very easily be fitted with customised handles. It's interesting you mention fitting it with "a section of a mannequin". We built a prototype machine quite a few years ago and used a moulded section of a torso from waist to knees. It significantly added to the cost and weight of that section of the machine without giving any particular benefit.

The purpose of the machine, in my view, is not to give a near exact simulation of actually lifting a person but to better condition the player to the forces involved in elevating someone overhead. The key aspects are moving a weighted object vertically through say 2 metres and having the resistance increase throughout the lift. When a lineout jumper is lifted, initially there is not much force required because of the jumper's own spring but as they rise they gradually become dead weight.

Jerry was doing most of his training with the Brumbies in recent weeks but coming up to Sydney to prepare for the weekend club games. At the Brumbies, as with most professional rugby clubs, players do not lift any near max weights during season. Now that he is in the Brumbies playing squad he is back with them full time and not training at the Sydney Uni gym. While doing limited training with the club he was starting to get his squats up through the 200kg+ range but it would have taken some time and a definite focus to get back to 300kg.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thank you, Jnor, well spotted.

MyoLifta+Graphic2.gif

This is the first image of the MyoLifta, a revolutionary new machine specifically developed for rugby. It is designed to improve the elevating ability of players lifting and supporting jumpers in the lineout. It can be operated singly or by two players working together. The resistance increases as the tubular pads simulating the jumper's legs are raised.

It is another machine from the MyoQuip stable. As with all our machines the first installation is always in the Sydney Uni gym where there are plenty of enthusiastic lab rats.

I might have to get you to take some photos of the MyoLifta in operation when the front rowers are working out.

Thanks for the heads up, I might have to try it myself as I seem to have ended up lifting in lineouts recently, which is something I'm definitely not used to. Unfortunately my ribs are stuffed so I'll have to wait a little while.

It seems quite obvious now that I know what it is but my mates and I had absolutely no idea what the machine was just from looking at it.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Actually, Jnor, over time it is likely that the MyoLifta will be used for general conditioning rather than strictly for rugby. There is no other apparatus or exercise that has such a range of vertical displacement and recruitment of different muscle groups.

When a bar bell is taken from floor to overhead, in the top half of the movement the bar is decelerated to avoid throwing it into the air so there is no real work being performed at that stage, whereas because of the MyoLifta's increasing resistance the athlete has to work through the full range of movment.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
Understand Grant is out and Earl Rose flied over as 10 cover. Still only rumours but wont be surprise.

oompb, are you kidding me?

i understood that he was unwanted by all super provinces and couldn't even get a start in the currie cup. surely duvenage at 10 is a better option? he went alright against the blues altho schalk seemed to do most of the distributing and duvenhage would step in to take the kicks.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
oompb, are you kidding me?

i understood that he was unwanted by all super provinces and couldn't even get a start in the currie cup. surely duvenage at 10 is a better option? he went alright against the blues altho schalk seemed to do most of the distributing and duvenhage would step in to take the kicks.
No official word on it yet. Still dont understand why they call Elgar Watts or Willie Viljoen from Boland. Both have been in the squad with the warmups.

Sport24
Coleman set for pivot role
2011-05-26 22:05Email | Print
Kurt Coleman (Gallo Images)

Related Links
Stage set for 'Super-Sarel'
Kankowski confident in Sharks
John Smit back at prop
Stephen Nell

Cape Town - It's just as well for the Stormers that rugby is not played on paper because backline coach Robbie Fleck admits to getting "quite nervous" when he glances at the Brumbies' teamsheet for Saturday's Super Rugby match in Canberra.

On the face of it there is no reason for concern - even the Lions beat the Brumbies on their home patch this year - but no team that includes Wallaby stars such as Matt Giteau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Mark Chisholm and Stephen Moore could ever be taken lightly.

Especially not by a team that's never won a Super Rugby game in Canberra.

"When you glance at the team on paper you get nervous. Giteau is tactically smart and a special player. He can run with the ball, kick and defend," said Fleck.

"He's really pushing them hard to get back on track and one gets the impression there is a revival."

With Peter Grant struggling with an ankle injury, it seems there is a good chance that 21-year-old Kurt Coleman will get the chance to measure himself against Wallaby veteran Giteau.

"We're getting used to dealing with a crisis at No 10 by now. It's tough for the continuity of the backs, but the team has adapted well every time and the team management has handled it well," said Fleck.

"I'm comfortable with Kurt. He had some neat touches against the Crusaders and put in some big hits. He has also been involved in the majority of our training sessions this week."

If Coleman grabs his chance on the big stage, there is a definite chance that the Stormers' attack could benefit. Both he and scrumhalf Dewaldt Duvenage distribute the ball really well.

"Different players have different strengths. When Gary van Aswegen played for just 12 minutes for us against the Lions before his injury, there was suddenly width in our game," said Fleck.

"Peter Grant attacks the advantage line, defends well and organises. Kurt has an excellent pass and it may well help to release our outside backs."

Meanwhile, the Brumbies have had the bad news this week that they may have to play the rest of their campaign without Wallaby captain and flank Rocky Elsom.

There may well have been a sigh of relief in the Stormers camp with that news, though Mitchell Chapman returns from injury to wear the No 6 jersey and provides leadership in the lineouts for the Brumbies.

Ita Vaea also returns at No 8 and that means that Julian Salvi moves to openside flank, where he replaces Colby Fainga'a.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Its official now, Earl vokken Rose on his way to replace Grant.
http://superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=30501
The Stormers have suffered a late blow with the withdrawal of first choice flyhalf Peter Grant from the team to face the Brumbies in Canberra on Saturday.

Grant had being receiving treatment for an ankle injury and was bracketed with 21-year-old Kurt Coleman (pictured), who will now make his starting debut for the Stormers.

Grant, meanwhile, has returned home with the Stormers calling up former Lions pivot Earl Rose, who will join the squad in Melbourne next week.

Rose has been playing for Griquas in the Vodacom Cup competition.

Captain Schalk Burger says that spirits are high and the team is confident of following last week's result in New Zealand.

"The team is in high spirits after last week's win." he said on the Stormers site.

We really had to dig in and we managed to pull victory out of the fire. Confidence is up and now we are looking forward to the challenge ahead against the Brumbies.

"The Brumbies are a better team than the log suggests and we will need to be up for it if we want to come away with the victory. As a team we have never beaten them away from home so we would like to put the record right on Saturday.

"They have some very experienced guys and also great game-breakers in Matt Giteau and Adam Ashley-Cooper so we know it will be a huge challenge. "

Status
Not open for further replies.