• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - Round 2, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Paddy Ryan (63 caps)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (131 caps)
3. Angus Ta’avao (49 caps)
4. Dean Mumm (87 caps – 99 caps for NSW)
5. Will Skelton (40 caps)
6. David Dennis (VC – 93 caps)
7. Michael Hooper (C – 82 caps)
8. Jed Holloway (5 caps)
9. Nick Phipps (83 caps)
10. Kurtley Beale (116 caps)
11. Zac Guildford (80 caps)
12. David Horwitz (1 cap)
13. Rob Horne (90 caps)
14. Matt Carraro (41 caps)
15. Israel Folau (46 caps)
Reserves
16. Tolu Latu (29 caps)
17. Matt Sandell (potential NSW/Super Rugby debut)
18. Jeremy Tilse (49 caps)
19. Sam Lousi (5 caps)
20. Wycliff Palu (121 caps)
21. Jack Dempsey (4 caps)
22. Matt Lucas (13 caps)
23. Bryce Hegarty (34 caps)

Same starting XV as against the Reds.

Matt Sandell comes in for the concussed Benn Robinson.

Cliff Palu replaes Reece Robinson for a 6:2 bench split.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Brumbies should win this game comfortably based on last week's great form and the Tahs scrum woes.

The Tahs have really stood up in this clash for the last couple of years and managed to stifle the Brumbies so I'm expecting it to be pretty close. An upset isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Brums will smash the Tahs up front.

Am looking forward to a heap of scrums and penalty tries being awarded - reckon 4

Brums by 30

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The Brumbies should win this game comfortably based on last week's great form and the Tahs scrum woes.

The Tahs have really stood up in this clash for the last couple of years and managed to stifle the Brumbies so I'm expecting it to be pretty close. An upset isn't out of the realms of possibility.

If the Tahs can keep up their starting form for the full 80 then they'll be competitive. Measuring respective performances in a sample of one game against leaky defences is an imprecise science at best. Neither of these tesms has a leaky defence. Brumbies by five, possibly. We'll have a much better idea of the score after the game.

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great to see Matty Sandell getting a start. I agree with others, may just be out of his depth here scrummaging, not the biggest prop going about, but you won't find a more commited 80 minute worker. And A Mudgee boy!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
^^^^^^^^^
Sandell was always good around the park in his school days but I always thought that he had to be a hooker as a senior player because he was not going to be big enough to be a prop.

And he threw to the lineout a few times too for Joeys and wasn't the worst.

But he's just not big enough to play prop in Super Rugby. It wouldn't be so bad if he was older and knew the tricks of a loose head prop, but if they play the youngster on the tight head side it will be a disaster.

I'm guessing that his old Joeys' team mate Tomas Robertson was not available. He'd be a better scrummager than Matty, but was a long time in Team Rehab pre-season and must be under-done.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^^^

I'm guessing that his old Joeys' team mate Tomas Robertson was not available. He'd be a better scrummager than Matty, but was a long time in Team Rehab pre-season and must be under-done.

Robertson looked to be the best of the newcomers in last year's SS I thought. I'm guessing he will at least make the bench when fit.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Sio and Enever in

Ala'alatoa to the bench, Rory Arnold has a knee injury. Probably Staniforth to the bench.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I thought Scott Sio finished last week with some sort of leg injury. Surprised that he isn't getting one more week to ease back off the bench.

Hopefully Rory's injury isn't too bad, but there's not much between him and Blake Enever. I have also been impressed with Tom Staniforth's form this year. He's always played hard, but seems to be making more ground with ball in hand this year.

EDIT : But if he comes onto the bench, will one of Smiler or Butler drop off? Neither would deserve to miss out. Could play a 6/2 split I suppose.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Aquis Brumbies v NSW Waratahs – 4 March 2016, GIO Stadium Canberra

Starting side

Scott Sio
Stephen Moore (c)
Ben Alexander
Blake Enever
Sam Carter
Scott Fardy
David Pocock
Ita Vaea
Tomás Cubelli
Christian Lealiifano (c)
Joe Tomane
Matt To'omua
Tevita Kuridrani
Henry Speight
Aidan Toua
Reserves

Josh Mann-Rea
Allan Ala'alatoa
Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin
Jordan Smiler
Jarrad Butler
Michael Dowsett
Andrew Smith
Nigel Ah Wong

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gee that's a strong looking Brumbies outfit, with plenty of mogrel in the pigs and class in the backs. I'm hoping for a knock em down drag em out fight in the forwards and then razzle dazzle out wide. Should be the match of the round.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So the Ponies are the only real hope for Aussie rugby to win another Super Rugby title

At this stage they are the best hope, but its only round two and they are not the only hope. The Waratahs set-piece will improve as the comp goes on and they have to be a team with a realistic chance.

On what we know now the Jaguares, Stormers, Brumbies, Waratahs, Blues, Chiefs, Highlanders and maybe the Hurricanes all have a genuine shot at the title. You can be sure that the Kings, Sunwolves and Cheetahs won't be there and the rest of the teams have till round six to prove they are a threat to the top seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.