• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumby Runner Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A bit early for that. Will be good to see lads like PAE and Crook playing outside of school games.

S

Spectator101

What a good day of footy at Eastwood today, despite the heat of 41 degrees. Very surprised to see such a big turnout.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Western Force A 45 - Brumby Runners 5 (I think)

The Force Twos put away the Brumbies Twos no problemo in the heat today. The Runners may have had a few missing players with the main team in Darwin last night but I don't think it would have made a lot of difference. Individually there didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in the players but together it was a different story: the Force were the superior team.

Some comments about the players.

Force A

• 13. Cummins didn't look like he belonged in an A team. He was hard to stop just about every time he had the ball.

• 15. Dellit looks like a Super player: he's a smooth runner and ghosted through a couple of times. His work combining with Cummins was first rate. These two will be in the Ones with if others have an injury or two.

• 10. Godwin had a terrific game: starting slowly and working into the game nicely. He made some good runs and facilitated well but it looked like he popped his right shoulder towards the end of the game.

• 2. Siliva looks like he is going to make it as a professional one of these days. Has an athletic build and was handy with everything he did. Has some good folks in front of him though.

• 3. PAE came off the bench and looked the part. Hasn't lost any weight since leaving school but was light on his feet. Once he ran into a tackler accelerating into full speed and the poor bugger bounced off him, up and then back.

• 9. Stannard came off the bench and looked like a swan amongst the ducks, making ground for himself or others.

Runners

• 1. Ofa is going to be handy if there are a couple of injuries. He looked OK today, but in that company he would.

• 5. Carter must be close to 2M tall but half a metre of it is neck. He was a goer but big lock Neville from the bench had a top game. I always thought of him as a nice as pie skills lock but he hit the line bloody hard.

• 7. Ale poached quite a few balls and could be on track to be a pro player in a while, but there are too many young fetchers in front of him in the Brumbies.

• 11. Fou – very elusive but should have passed a couple of times. Very fast.

• 6. Alexander (brother Tom) looked handy as a big bastard flanker but didn't get much time

• Winger Iongi (SP??) was a live wire and very hard to stop.

• Last year's Oz Schools stars 2. Roach and 14. Crook didn't disgrace themselves. One of these days I am going to see Crook get the ball but I'm not holding my breath. No he didn't get it today either.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Iongi played outside centre for Queanbeyan and has been a standout in the JID Cup for the past year or two...

Hopefully it won't be too long until he's a Brumby...

So the Force A were fielding some Super rugby players?

N

nugget1

Felt let down by some of the runners players talked up on gnr. Crook being young didnt really look to get involved and neither did the 15. The front row looked out of its depth with the 5 Sam Carter a real let down for me. He was out done by 4. Walton and 18. Neveille off the bench. Coleman as coach needs to have a hard look at his game plan and defence out wide.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I didn't mention Walton but he had some good runs didn't he? Hadn't seen him before that I could remember but Patricio Noriega had a Runners team sheet which he gave to me to copy - and Mitch Hardy was kind enough to let me copy the Force A names - so I knew who was whom.

I thought that Neville played a lot better than I've seen him sometimes for Manly where he is 3rd lock after Peterson and Sigg. He was more effective than Carter but I wouldn't judge Carter as harshly as you did.

Crook didn't get involved but the midfield didn't help a lot which happens frequently in trial matches and he has a lot to learn anyway. I hope hat he had a good look at David Smith of the Force in the following match because it was a good example of working off the ball. Crook is a good 'un though and that was his first match out of school, so don't lose faith. I'd like to see him play fullback though.

As for the 15. DTS - he's a bit of an eccentric player isn't he? He'd run up to a tackler jump in the air and wriggle around before he landed, and then he'd take off with the tacklers feet still planted. Benji Marshall and QC (Quade Cooper) have a lot to answer for.

It was good to see scrummie "Zacker" play again as I hadn't seen him since school and he had a gap year after that. We'll hear a bit more of him methinks.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
is there a brumby runners team list

1. Ofa
2. Elvis
3. Predaud (Sp ?)
4. Walton
5. Carter
6. Boidon
7. Ale
8. Turner
9. Stirzacker
10. Ambrosini
11. Fou
12. Ioane (Sp?)
13. Bailie
14. Crook
15. D.T-Simpson

16. Makin
17. Roach
18. Neville
19. T.Alexander
20. Lavery
21. Selby
22. Iongi
23 Metcher
24. Howell

Forgot to mention that 10. Ambrosini look very handy sometimes.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Felt let down by some of the runners players talked up on gnr. Crook being young didnt really look to get involved and neither did the 15. The front row looked out of its depth with the 5 Sam Carter a real let down for me. He was out done by 4. Walton and 18. Neveille off the bench. Coleman as coach needs to have a hard look at his game plan and defence out wide.

Coleman is an average (if that) coach. And this result is another sign he is way off the pace, I cant remember the last time the Runners won a game, maybe someone could enlighten me....he doesnt show any faith in the local base players at all and brings in rejects from NSW (with the exception of Aussie SchoolBoy players). Outside of the Main Brumbies Squad, the players in the academy are very average with the exception of some players. I feel for the Lams, Cornforths, McNamaras, Pencas, Abels, Lolotongas, McGees of the world who dominate in the Canberra comp but cant make Higher honors instead bringing in Players who probably would struggle to make 1st Grade teams in the Canberra comp. With Coleman, its the old addage "Its not what you know, its who you know" and Liam Winton is one example.....one of Colemans favourites....average Club player in Sydney and Canberra yet can pick up a Tier One contract....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
BJ

No - Gordy would have a page on Howell and that his granddad played bowls in the Commonwealth Games.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Coleman is an average (if that) coach. And this result is another sign he is way off the pace, I cant remember the last time the Runners won a game, maybe someone could enlighten me....he doesnt show any faith in the local base players at all and brings in rejects from NSW (with the exception of Aussie SchoolBoy players). Outside of the Main Brumbies Squad, the players in the academy are very average with the exception of some players. I feel for the Lams, Cornforths, McNamaras, Pencas, Abels, Lolotongas, McGees of the world who dominate in the Canberra comp but cant make Higher honors instead bringing in Players who probably would struggle to make 1st Grade teams in the Canberra comp. With Coleman, its the old addage "Its not what you know, its who you know" and Liam Winton is one example.....one of Colemans favourites....average Club player in Sydney and Canberra yet can pick up a Tier One contract....

That's definitely some real talent that's gone wasted

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Forgot to mention that 10. Ambrosini look very handy sometimes.

Good to hear he is going well. He has just returned from a stint with Hartpury College in the UK and even managed to play for Gloucester in the A League comp over there. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in the Brumbies behind To'omua and Lealiifano. Think he would be good at the Force or Rebels in my view. Also qualifies for Italy so Europe may be an option for him too.

N

nugget1

I didn't mention Walton but he had some good runs didn't he? Hadn't seen him before that I could remember

Walton was the first choice 2nd rower for northern suburbs 1st xv after a strong colts season in 2009. He played 4 rounds of tnss before a shoulder injury. Watched him play and was a damaging ball runner, can see a big future for him and also liked elvis levi at 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.