• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumby Runner Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that - I actually have seen him play then - on ABC TV, because I wrote a note about his age, weight and height at the time last winter - but I didn't remember him as the North Sydney Walton. His 2nd row team mate at North Sydney, Ben Matwijow (grandson of Dally Messenger), played for the Australian Barbarians in the later game. [How's that for a "Gordon Bray"].

Good to hear he is going well. He has just returned from a stint with Hartpury College in the UK and even managed to play for Gloucester in the A League comp over there. It will be interesting to see how he progresses in the Brumbies behind To'omua and Lealiifano. Think he would be good at the Force or Rebels in my view. Also qualifies for Italy so Europe may be an option for him too.

I saw him play for Qld Schools in 2008 and he's one I thought could do well as a senior player though it is difficult to assess them in that position at such a young age. It's a pity he wasn't playing for the other team on Saturday as Godwin got better ball for Force A.

As for Italy: he will outclass Gower, Burton and the other scrubbers they have there in a year or two should he decide to go that way. I remember Luke McLean playing U/19s for Qld and if he can get an Azzuirri shirt James is just as likely to if he wants one.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I saw him play for Qld Schools in 2008 and he's one I thought could do well as a senior player though it is difficult to assess them in that position at such a young age. It's a pity he wasn't playing for the other team on Saturday as Godwin got better ball for Force A.

As for Italy: he will outclass Gower, Burton and the other scrubbers they have there in a year or two should he decide to go that way. I remember Luke McLean playing U/19s for Qld and if he can get an Azzuirri shirt James is just as likely to if he wants one.

I don't know how keen he is to head overseas. I think if opportunities open up here then he will stay. Not sure if the Brumbies will give him the opportunities but he may see it as a great place to develop his skills. I am a big fan of his having coached him a few years ago.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Ambrosini will not be around long if Coleman continues to coach the Academy. Coleman has no clue about talent...look at the talent that he has let go, Lolotonga, Abel, Lam, Yakapo brothers, Lesa (Royals Hooker from last season) and from what I understand, Colemans lack of understanding when it comes to modern rugby is stifing not only Ambrosinis natural game but also the outside backs in the Academy.

WATCH THIS SPACE !

S

sportsfan

Cant wait to hear the explanation for the Runners win tonight from BrumPoly. Was DC on leave?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Cant wait to hear the explanation for the Runners win tonight from BrumPoly. Was DC on leave?

Explanation, well, good on them for winning, but considering the firepower they had on the park, you would have thought they should have won with no problems. Again, how good a coach is he when he actually has his "ACADEMY" side playing.....Most who took the field were either fulltime or Tier One....Proof in the pudding last weekend against the Force....Rebels had four or five full timers with the rest part times.....Brumbies had majority fulltimers with two of three full timers....
But again, good on them for winning......

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This is what was listed in the match program:
Jono Owen
Huia Edmonds
Salesi Ma'afu
Liam Winton
Sam Carter
Henry Vanderglas
Michael Hooper
Colby Fainga'a
Patrick Phibbs
Matt To'omua
Clint Sills
Tyrone Smith
Jackson Selby
Jesse Mogg
Samu Wara

Tom Boidin
Anthony Hegarty
Tim Metcher
JP Predaud
Nic White
James Ambrosini
Vili Iongi
Rodney Iona
Cayden Neville
James Turner

Assuming BrumbiesPolynesian was there, they could shed more light on accuracy etc...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Compared the Rebels list, how many Fulltimers are on that list compared to the Rebels? With this team list, they should have won by many....which they did...thats an impressive team. That pack are all fulltime with Carter and Winton on Tier One contracts, this will be cut back I assume when S15 starts, as is Vanders....And the backs are mainly fulltime also, not sure about Mogg and Selby though, if they are Tier One or Two, something Brumby Jack could confirm....I hope it doesnt sound like I am Brumby bashing because I am not especially with a lot of Island Boys coming through now and really pushing hard for Full Time spots...my issue is with the HEad Coach of the Academy and his reluctance to bring or select quality First Grade Players from the Canberra comp instead bringing in 2nd Rate players from Sydney...ie WINTON...Im a big believer that the Academy should only be for Local players and if you cant fill certain spots with local players then look outside the square, the quality of players has never been better in the Canberra comp than the last 3-4 years, but look at how many players have been overlooked or looked at then dumped by Coleman with no feedback....The Abel brothers, Lolotonga, Lala Lam, McGee, Dawes, McNamara, Penca, Barbaro, Windsor Brothers, Yakapo brothers, Mataika, Matt Hawke, Swain, Ben Johnson, Tim Cornforth, Lafaele, Stephens, Melbourne Lesa, Amosa, Jack Vanderglas, and probably many more that I might have missed. Im not alone on my thoughts about Darren Coleman as a lot of players and local coaches feel the same with many voicing their concerns to Andy Friend. Time will tell, but rumors are that players are not happy. Of the list above, how many players will not be there due to being cut....??? Be interesting to see..... I can see 4 on that list that wont be there....and many more on Tier Two.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
This is what was listed in the match program:
Jono Owen
Huia Edmonds
Salesi Ma'afu
Liam Winton
Sam Carter
Henry Vanderglas
Michael Hooper
Colby Fainga'a
Patrick Phibbs
Matt To'omua
Clint Sills
Tyrone Smith
Jackson Selby
Jesse Mogg
Samu Wara

Tom Boidin
Anthony Hegarty
Tim Metcher
JP Predaud
Nic White
James Ambrosini
Vili Iongi
Rodney Iona
Cayden Neville
James Turner

Assuming BrumbiesPolynesian was there, they could shed more light on accuracy etc...

BJ, any truth to the resignation of Darren Coleman?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Compared the Rebels list, how many Fulltimers are on that list compared to the Rebels? With this team list, they should have won by many....which they did...thats an impressive team. That pack are all fulltime with Carter and Winton on Tier One contracts, this will be cut back I assume when S15 starts, as is Vanders....And the backs are mainly fulltime also, not sure about Mogg and Selby though, if they are Tier One or Two, something Brumby Jack could confirm....I hope it doesnt sound like I am Brumby bashing because I am not especially with a lot of Island Boys coming through now and really pushing hard for Full Time spots...my issue is with the HEad Coach of the Academy and his reluctance to bring or select quality First Grade Players from the Canberra comp instead bringing in 2nd Rate players from Sydney...ie WINTON...Im a big believer that the Academy should only be for Local players and if you cant fill certain spots with local players then look outside the square, the quality of players has never been better in the Canberra comp than the last 3-4 years, but look at how many players have been overlooked or looked at then dumped by Coleman with no feedback....The Abel brothers, Lolotonga, Lala Lam, McGee, Dawes, McNamara, Penca, Barbaro, Windsor Brothers, Yakapo brothers, Mataika, Matt Hawke, Swain, Ben Johnson, Tim Cornforth, Lafaele, Stephens, Melbourne Lesa, Amosa, Jack Vanderglas, and probably many more that I might have missed. Im not alone on my thoughts about Darren Coleman as a lot of players and local coaches feel the same with many voicing their concerns to Andy Friend. Time will tell, but rumors are that players are not happy. Of the list above, how many players will not be there due to being cut....??? Be interesting to see..... I can see 4 on that list that wont be there....and many more on Tier Two.

BP, if these players are so good, why haven't other franchises picked them up particularly in a year where the inclusion of Melbourne means franchises are desperate for talent? Also why should the Brumbies limit their academy to locals when every other franchise will try to pick the best young talent across Australia and sometimes beyond especially when the local comp is not of the standard of Sydney or Brisbane?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies Academy should be about selecting the best players available... no matter where they're from...

I'm a big supporter of the Canberra club competition and its players but these positions should be filled on merit...

If the players are good enough and they'll get selected, and thankfully there is a Brumbies Academy because many players would be overlooked otherwise...

If the coach isn't selecting the best players available to him, then that's another thing...

T

territorian

The Brumbies Academy should be about selecting the best players available... no matter where they're from...

I'm a big supporter of the Canberra club competition and its players but these positions should be filled on merit...
If the players are good enough and they'll get selected, and thankfully there is a Brumbies Academy because many players would be overlooked otherwise...
If the coach isn't selecting the best players available to him, then that's another thing...

Coleman has a name for running with his favorites or if a player wasn't recruited by him he seems to overlook them. he doesn't like working with players he didn't personally recruit - he feels as though he has been usurped in those cases.

And yes, he has submitted his resignation but will be there till the end of the season.

Addendum: What a shithouse display by the Runners last night. Again, the benchers are shown to be better than some of this lot.
Vili Iongi and Rodney Iona need serious re-education as to team play, to continually do the same thing over and over again and expect different result is madness when you let in try after try after try.
Just too pissed off to be coherent.
Please Brumbies, get rid of these fancy stepping razzamataz ball hogging wallies and put in players who actually play for the team, who have the smarts and actual physical skills to do the job.

T

TheTruth

where there is smoke there is fire - from the thread seems like some real problems at the Ponies starting at Academy level - discontent from within academy sounds like yuk yuk yuk

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Coleman has a name for running with his favorites or if a player wasn't recruited by him he seems to overlook them. he doesn't like working with players he didn't personally recruit - he feels as though he has been usurped in those cases.

And yes, he has submitted his resignation but will be there till the end of the season.

Addendum: What a shithouse display by the Runners last night.

What was the score?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Terrible performance by the Academy, although Vanderglas too me looks too good at this level and should be getting more of a look in at S15 level. Nic White looked good as did Tyrone Smith. But yes, unfortunately Ionga and Iona did look to be doing a few things on their own, but in saying that, the Tongan rush defence forced their hands a bit.Too me though, the lineout throwing of Hegarty was at best, Reserve Grade level, over throws, throws not straight and throws not even hitting the targets were disappointing, especially from a player who has been in the system for so long. I do commend the Tongan team though, they were very physical, and I think if their ball security was better in the 1st Half, I think the scoreline might have been different.
On Monday night, Fiji are going to be a different kettle of fish, they are unbeaten so far in the competion after disposing of QLD and the Tahs...be a good test.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
BP, if these players are so good, why haven't other franchises picked them up particularly in a year where the inclusion of Melbourne means franchises are desperate for talent? Also why should the Brumbies limit their academy to locals when every other franchise will try to pick the best young talent across Australia and sometimes beyond especially when the local comp is not of the standard of Sydney or Brisbane?

Lam is with Melbourne Rebels as is Melbourne Lesa, Afa Amosa and Tomu Mataika. Robbie Abel was playing for Northland ITM Cup Squad but is now on his mormon Mission, Dan Yakapo is in Aust 7s but is now aligned with the Waratahs, Penca and McNamara have had offers to join other franchises but are loyal to Queanbeyan and I think are biding their time before Acadmey set up is changed. Stephens is now with Parramatta looking for an opportunity in NSW, Ben Johnston set to join Sydney Uni with an opportunity, Lafaele with Souths in Brisbane.
My point is, The Academy does not need to look outside the local comp if players are already there, and who in many eyes are better than the players coming in from other States, again, I will go to last seasons game between the Brumbies Academy vs and ACT Local Rep Team, the local side beating the Academy after only a Wednesday of training together. I think, look locally first, then if players are not up to standard in certain positions, then look to get players from interstate, not the otherway around, then maybe with a pathway for local players, it would keep all the good players here in Canberra rather than going to NSW, QLD, WA or now VIC.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Why Henry (Vanderglas) is still mucking around with the Runners is very confusing. I suppose the home grown/ long family association with the Brumbies and ACT Rugby is keeping him around...

I knew his manager had been scouting out opportunities in QLD, and he was apparently going to meet Link up at the Reds, but that's obviously gone nowhere.

I'd love to see him try his luck overseas. Alas, skimping a living off a 7's contract, Academy contract and then picking up extra from Randwick looks like it will continue.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Both Brothers, Jack and Henry I think have been jerked around by the Brumbies enough...no more loyalty in Rugby, both should try their luck in another state. I hear Robbie Deans is a fan of Vanderglas, liking him to Adam Thompson of the Highlanders.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
That's a given. They do stuff quite a lot of the local talent around here in the ACT. Wouldn't hurt if there was more money in and around the clubs to support keeping guys local, rather than heading to Sydney and playing for clubs to whom they have no association aside from a pay-check. Not sure what will happen here long term, I am not aware of a 5-10 year plan for rugby in Canberra.

Loyalty doesn't lie at the professional level, that's another given. At a local level, it's very strong. Our club in particular would have been long dead if not for people showing true dedication and loyalty (It's been a long time since the last premiership...).

It'd be nice to have seen Henry picked up by the Rebels - surely he could have fitted in there better than some of the imports?

Status
Not open for further replies.