• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
They have 9 volleyball teams though. Keeps the ba$ketball players fit during the off season.
Which other schools play Volleyball? Sydney Grammar do.
This option was introduced when the very large Asian community did not want to play rugby or football.

Joker, this is a similar argument to our Rugby winter sport, ie the alternative for precious little johnny is soccer.
What happens in Summer is that most play basketball, not because they give a s... about basketball but because it only takes 40 minutes and then it's finished, and because it's compulsory to play some sport, and mum/dad don't want to spend more time at cricket (our true National sport).Mum and Dad would rather have smashed avos on toast, with their mates, whilst some other teachers and parents babysit THEIR KIDS!

The fact is noone knows, or cares who is in our national basketball team,nor could they name the team, but nearly everyone knows who is in our Baggy Green Cricket team. What's is alarming is that everyone, who doesn't play cricket will tell you cricket "TAKES ALL DAY", which is rubbish, until you are good enough to make 1sts, otherwise it is a limited over game that takes only 3-4 hours max.

Yet once again, the softer/who cares sports win out in numbers because our better sports don't sell the real message!

It's all becoming so lazy it's a really sad joke, BUT as long as there are enough kids who are the real deal and want to play these real sports, I think it can survive ok.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Waves team for brook

1.valentine
2. Mcguiggan
3.aholelei
4. Rice
5. Whiteman
6. Murphy
7. Molloy
8. Moretti
9. Thorn
10. Hutchinson-Walter
11. Baldwin
12. Volkman
13.mildford
14. Tomasiello
15. Andrews

I like new look front row

And think this exact combination is Waverley best chance to beat Barker

SDW, Can't see this full strength team being beaten at home, I think we are warm favs.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Joker, this is a similar argument to our Rugby winter sport, ie the alternative for precious little johnny is soccer.
What happens in Summer is that most play basketball, not because they give a s. about basketball but because it only takes 40 minutes and then it's finished, and because it's compulsory to play some sport, and mum/dad don't want to spend more time at cricket (our true National sport).Mum and Dad would rather have smashed avos on toast, with their mates, whilst some other teachers and parents babysit THEIR KIDS!

The fact is noone knows, or cares who is in our national basketball team,nor could they name the team, but nearly everyone knows who is in our Baggy Green Cricket team. What's is alarming is that everyone, who doesn't play cricket will tell you cricket "TAKES ALL DAY", which is rubbish, until you are good enough to make 1sts, otherwise it is a limited over game that takes only 3-4 hours max.

Yet once again, the softer/who cares sports win out in numbers because our better sports don't sell the real message!

It's all becoming so lazy it's a really sad joke, BUT as long as there are enough kids who are the real deal and want to play these real sports, I think it can survive ok.

WLF, I admire your love of Cricket but I think you're making several assumptions there. While the names of the Australian basketball team is not readily recalled, if you were to equalize the exposure, it would be a different story. Also, as a rugby coach, I encourage all players to play basketball in the off season.

It is possibly the best cross training sport for rugby without anywhere near the injury risk. Constant running, jumping, acceleration, passing, peripheral vision and communication are all transferable. Cricket is a highly skilled game, but not the same.

Kids and parents pursue different sports for different reasons. Please don't disparage a sport just because you believe it's inferior......unless it's soccer....then heap all the crap in the world you like:D

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I quite enjoy watching hefty Rugby kids playing a combo of Rugby and basketball on the basketball court and creating havoc. They kinda forget that pods and charging low aren't done in basketball...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, I admire your love of Cricket but I think you're making several assumptions there. While the names of the Australian basketball team is not readily recalled, if you were to equalize the exposure, it would be a different story. Also, as a rugby coach, I encourage all players to play basketball in the off season.

It is possibly the best cross training sport for rugby without anywhere near the injury risk. Constant running, jumping, acceleration, passing, peripheral vision and communication are all transferable. Cricket is a highly skilled game, but not the same.

Kids and parents pursue different sports for different reasons. Please don't disparage a sport just because you believe it's inferior..unless it's soccer..then heap all the crap in the world you like:D

Ha RC, Love you last paragraph!

We all have opinions which is good. Not sure about the injury risk though I know of some serious ACL injuries that have meant no rugby season. Anyway I am sure you are right about some elements of basketball.
My point really is that below the A and B level (who are fair dinkum), a lot of boys play basketball for the reasons I mentioned and that has seen a large reduction in school cricket teams, same argument as Soccer v Rugby.
I would also argue that Cricket has some seriously good athletic bonuses to it, I am not saying basketball is inferior, i am saying it has the soccer effect on cricket.;)

S

sidelineview

Kids and parents pursue different sports for different reasons. Please don't disparage a sport just because you believe it's inferior..unless it's soccer..then heap all the crap in the world you like:D

And AFL; dont forget to heap as much crap as you want onto AFL.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I suppose the other benefit of playing basketball for rugby players in the off season is that it frees up more time for strength and conditioning training.

S

sidelineview

I know netball produces a lot of ACL injuries to females; I can only assume there is a risk also with basketball.

Reactions: WLF

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rightly on wrongly this is who decides the choice of winter sport ... and it isn't just the Cranbrook Mums :)

Dad really wants to assert his authority ... but don't like his chances ... not in this generation

Attachments

• Parents.png
    Parents.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 271

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ha RC, Love you last paragraph!

We all have opinions which is good. Not sure about the injury risk though I know of some serious ACL injuries that have meant no rugby season. Anyway I am sure you are right about some elements of basketball.
My point really is that below the A and B level (who are fair dinkum), a lot of boys play basketball for the reasons I mentioned and that has seen a large reduction in school cricket teams, same argument as Soccer v Rugby.
I would also argue that Cricket has some seriously good athletic bonuses to it, I am not saying basketball is inferior, i am saying it has the soccer effect on cricket.;)

Brings a tear to my eye WLF

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys
Opens XV - 12
Under 16's - 7
Under 15's - 8
Under 14's - 6
Under 13's - 7
40 teams

15 Football teams. Capped at 3 only in the 13's and 14's.
They only have one 16's team who gets flogged most weeks.
6 Open teams with the top 2 being competitive.

Amazing that the smallest GPS/CAS school in Sydney produces the most amount of rugby teams.

Riverview 1400 (senior school only)
Newington- 1400 (senior school only)
Scots College 1300 (senior school only)
Kings School- 1300 (senior school only)
Shore- 1200 (senior school only)
Sydney Boys High- 1180
St Josephs College- 1000

Knox- 2000 (senior school only)
Barker 1600 (senior school only) BOYS
Cranbrook 1100 (senior school only)
St Aloysius 1050 (senior school only)
Waverley 1300 (senior school only)
Trinity 2400 (senior school only)

Joker - at the risk of being called a pedant, Joeys are fielding 41 teams this weekend, and we now have 1,100 students - but your point is well made.

S

sidelineview

Aisea Aholelei (listed as Gordon?) and Ronald Volkman are CAS as well.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Joker - at the risk of being called a pedant, Joeys are fielding 41 teams this weekend, and we now have 1,100 students - but your point is well made.

You also need to take into the individual school demographic, Joeys have 9% Language background other than English, Knox 27%, SBH 90%, Kings 39%.

The more these schools chase the overseas dollar the worse it will get.

Also the 13-16 age group has the biggest size disparity so smaller boys gravitate to soccer only to come back when they find themselves bored shitless. Happened in Barker U15 this year, some boys thought they would do a social soccer team and found out it was a stupid game. We could have had 3 teams.

I don't know why the ARU and others dont push the point that Rugby is for all sizes and all skill levels, what other sport has this.

It is also the range of offerings, Barker has 100 fixtures for Senior boys this weekend - 35 Football, 22 Tennis, 17 Rugby, 12 Squash 4 Volleyball, 3 Afl, 2 Fencing, 2 Swimming, 1 Cross Country, 1 Dance !! 1 Taekwondo

Joeys has 42 Rugby, 15 Football, 2 Tennis, 2 Afl, 1 Cross Country, 1 Golf

In my day we had Rugby & Soccer in winter and Cricket and Basketball in Summer

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
You also need to take into the individual school demographic, Joeys have 9% Language background other than English, Knox 27%, SBH 90%, Kings 39%.

The more these schools chase the overseas dollar the worse it will get.

Also the 13-16 age group has the biggest size disparity so smaller boys gravitate to soccer only to come back when they find themselves bored shitless. Happened in Barker U15 this year, some boys thought they would do a social soccer team and found out it was a stupid game. We could have had 3 teams.

I don't know why the ARU and others dont push the point that Rugby is for all sizes and all skill levels, what other sport has this.

It is also the range of offerings, Barker has 100 fixtures for Senior boys this weekend - 35 Football, 22 Tennis, 17 Rugby, 12 Squash 4 Volleyball, 3 Afl, 2 Fencing, 2 Swimming, 1 Cross Country, 1 Dance !! 1 Taekwondo

Joeys has 42 Rugby, 15 Football, 2 Tennis, 2 Afl, 1 Cross Country, 1 Golf

In my day we had Rugby & Soccer in winter and Cricket and Basketball in Summer

Flavio, very astute analysis, I know a Flavio from 1979 at an Eastern Suburbs school, is that you, if so, send me a private convo, if that suits. WLF.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Flavio, very astute analysis, I know a Flavio from 1979 at an Eastern Suburbs school, is that you, if so, send me a private convo, if that suits. WLF.

In my day at Joeys it was RUGBY only in winter. No other choice. The school only had about 700 students.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
FIRST XV
Aisea Aholelei (Gordon)
Luca Antico (Norths)
Logan Badger (CCC)
Dally Bird (Pres A)
Ben Dowling (Pres A)
Michael Eid (CAS)
Oscar Enasio (Gordon)
Angus Fahey (Sydney University)
Malachi Hawkes (CAS)
Fritz Jahnke-Tavana (CHS)
Tolutau Koula (Pres A)
Aporosa Kurucake (CHS)
Darby Lancaster (CCC)
Oliver Longhi (Gordon)
Thomas-Xavier Maka (Gordon)
Viliami Penisini (Pres A)
Nicholas Russell (CHS)
Tom Sidgraeves (Norths)
Joseph Sua'ali'i (GPS 1)
Byron Sutherland (Pres A)
Miller Tauiliili-Pelesasa (CAS)
Joey Vitanza (Pres A)
Ronald Volkman (Sydney University)
Kaeo Weekes (Pres A)
Angus Websdale (Pres A)

SECOND XV
Tyrone Albertyn (CAS)
Miles Amatosero (CAS)
Siosifa Amone (CHS)
Hugh Bell (Norths)
Adrian Brown (Eastwood)
Joshua Cox (Hunter)
Hamish Creesey (Pres B)
Max Dominello (Pres A)
Dylan Hansen (Pres A)
Ned Hicks (CCC)
Sam Greer (GPS)
Liam Jones (Eastwood)
Ben Kearney (Pres A)
Unga Latu (CHS)
Zeb Maddinson (Pres 1)
Tyreece Matangi (Gordon)
Zane Misios (MNC)
Clyde Muller (CCC)
Timothy Ryan (Hunter)
Spencer Spalding (CAS)
Jordan Swann (CAS)
Tonga Vei (CHS)
Mitch Wheals (Gordon)
Jerome Williams (Gordon)
Teddy Wilson (Pres A)

Gen Blue 2018 - quite a few CAS boys. Well done to all.

CAS
1sts
Aisea Aholelei (Gordon) - Waverley
Luca Antico (Norths) St Aloysius
Michael Eid (CAS) Trinity
Oliver Longhi (Gordon) Knox
Miller Tauiliili-Pelesasa (CAS) Trinity
Ronald Volkman (Sydney University) Waverley
2nds
Tyrone Albertyn (CAS) Barker
Miles Amatosero (CAS) Waverley
Spencer Spalding (CAS) St Aloysius
Jordan Swann (CAS) Waverley
Mitch Wheals (Gordon) Barker

Tom Sidgreaves in the 1s goes to Aloys as well I believe

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)

From Joeys twitter feed. 43 games of Rugby today. Wow. Assume some doubling up to accommodate UK touring team!

“We have 43 games today with 40 games being played at home at either the Park or College complexes.

1st XV and 2nd XV play Newington while 3rd XV play the Armidale School.

Other games are against Knox, Waverley, Barker, Riverview, Cranbrook, Reddam House and Weydon School (UK).”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
In other news, I have heard Luca Moretti is out for the rest of the season with glandular fever.

A late exclusion this week I have heard this morning. Sad news for the kid, but might be a chance for his younger brother who missed term two with a broken arm to take his place.

Also means Cranbrook are a chance of getting one over their close rivals and you would imagine, ensured the premiership is now Barkers for 2018.

This is terrible new. Glandular fever.. Worst luck. Not only for Waves but also Aust schoolboys. He is a class act.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
This is terrible new. Glandular fever.. Worst luck. Not only for Waves but also Aust schoolboys. He is a class act.

Agree. Crook news in so many ways. Hope he makes a speedy recovery, back to rugby.

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE MY WELL WISHES ABOVE AS TURNS OUT GLANDULAR FEVER RUMOR WAS BS

Status
Not open for further replies.