• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not, I'm afraid, the most gripping round this week. Waverley should be too strong for Cranbrook and Barker will have too much juice for St Aloysius (although I don't think either game will be a blow-out).

That leaves Knox and Trinity, which as things stand is the clash to get off the bottom of the table. On paper, Trinity (with its five NSW representatives) looks stronger, but home ground advantage to Knox makes this a very tight one.
I agree Snort.
Knox at home should prove a real challenge for Trinity. And I suspect the break will give the many Knox boys carrying injuries time to mend somewhat.
Good luck to Trinity for so many selections into State and National teams, but if those kids are really that good, they should be competing for the title - not battling to emerge from the basement.
Haven't we already conceded that Barker are unbeatable this year?? To think that Aloys have a chance at Hornsby is wishful, particularly with their injury toll.
Barker will be at full strength and will continue their cruise to the Shield. They must be salivating for the following week at QP.
The Cranbrook team do have the capability of keeping Waverley to a lowish score, but I fear this last batch of injuries may prove hard to overcome. Not sure Cranbrook have the points in them to cause an upset.
So it's all set up for the round 4 battle that everyone can't wait for!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Thanks Carl

So the "inter-association" stuff is by arrangement between the Schools in the offseason / preseason as to who plays who ?

Who looks likely to win the CAS this year ( Waverley I guess ??? )

Who looks likely to win AAGPS ?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
SteveJane, not good mail . this poor old age group has taken a beating over the years

And their courage has been commendable

Given they have had a respectable pre-season and have had cas scalps, in
Beating aloys in a trial and Knox in a comp game

I had hoped they would at least showed their fighting spirit..and Tilley has always been their most courageous

But not to be .. hopefully Waverley wins with humility. as not a fan of carrying on like pork chops

There are challenges for winners in cricket score games. so hopefully Waverley coaches ensure that boys are good winners

Anyway hope brook puts up a battle and hope Waverley wins with a respectful humility

Anyway match of round be barker v aloys . how have barker come thru nationals? Unscathed?

Barker is injury free. No excuses.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thanks Carl

So the "inter-association" stuff is by arrangement between the Schools in the offseason / preseason as to who plays who ?

Who looks likely to win the CAS this year ( Waverley I guess ??? )

Who looks likely to win AAGPS ?
To my understanding, the Sportsmasters get together and attempt to set games based on equalising the quality of the schools. For example, the better GPS schools (eg Scots, Kings, Joeys), will play matches against the better CAS schools (Barker, Waverley) and the better ISA teams (St Augustines, Stannies).
The biggest challenges the Sportsmasters face is that the quality of a school's rugby in inconsistent through the year groups. The other being that some schools might have 10 opens teams and another only 4 or 5. To combat this, two smaller schools may 'combine' for a fixture so that the combination provides an equal number of teams to that of the bigger school. It's a logistical nightmare, but in many cases, this has been the situation even in the association's own comps. Certainly is has been at Joeys for years.
Hope this makes some sense.
Agree that Barker and Scots are most likely for 2018.

GrooTheWanderer

Frank Row (1)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
one question re the concussion rules ... if you get a head knock (blue card?) ... do you have to miss one game?

what if it was the last game before holidays?

as just thinking on Tilley ... I don't believe he was involved in Nationals ... so any concussion must of been a while back?

and surely with such a short season ... the holidays would be sufficient time to recover?

PS He is probably in reality hanging with JP on the Arctic P ... taking care of the ladies :) :confused:

GrooTheWanderer

Frank Row (1)
one question re the concussion rules . if you get a head knock (blue card?) . do you have to miss one game?

Player needs to be assessed within 72 hours by a doctor to confirm it's a concussion. If confirmed then it's a minimum of 19 days on the sideline after all symptoms have disappeared. That's for players who are 18 or under. For over 19 year olds it's a minimum of 12 days out once the symptoms are over.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
one question re the concussion rules . if you get a head knock (blue card?) . do you have to miss one game?

what if it was the last game before holidays?

as just thinking on Tilley . I don't believe he was involved in Nationals . so any concussion must of been a while back?

and surely with such a short season . the holidays would be sufficient time to recover?

PS He is probably in reality hanging with JP on the Arctic P . taking care of the ladies :) :confused:

Cranbrook played Shore in the last weekend of the break so I assume it occurred in that game.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I have just been looking at Barkers Rugby team fixtures for this Saturday. Opens - 6 teams. The U16's - 3 teams. U 15's - 2 teams. Under 14's - 3 teams - U 13's - 2 teams. Junior school - 1st and 2nds. Conclusion - Barker supporters - enjoy this season for what it is - the lack of depth in the younger age groups is telling - we are unlikely to be much of a force beyond the current season. Suggest you get up there and enjoy it while you can. The following years will be in the wilderness.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
thanks for the enlightment, GrooTheWanderer and Scotsman

How did Cranbrook go against Shore?

Re Shore ... what happened to the Farr-Jones kid ... I thought he was in this age group ... unless he was young for year 12 ... and left last year? And I thought there was a Muffet ... who I presume is related to a reasonable Shore Prop back in the 80s?

Barker ... 2 teams in 13s?! and that is a North Shore school ... that is rugby union heartland ... what is happening?

Is soccer that interesting? The world cup soccer sure didn't change my mind ... then again Super rugby would put anyone to sleep.

They (the muppets as I call them) have to kill penalty goal kicking ... it has killed rugby union .. outside of schoolboys.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
3 teams in U 13's - I mucked that up.

It aint the heartland no more mate. Too many Mamas wanting precious to play soccer. Rugby is in its death throes.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
thanks for the enlightment, GrooTheWanderer and Scotsman

How did Cranbrook go against Shore?

Re Shore . what happened to the Farr-Jones kid . I thought he was in this age group . unless he was young for year 12 . and left last year? And I thought there was a Muffet . who I presume is related to a reasonable Shore Prop back in the 80s?

Barker . 2 teams in 13s?! and that is a North Shore school . that is rugby union heartland . what is happening?

Is soccer that interesting? The world cup soccer sure didn't change my mind . then again Super rugby would put anyone to sleep.

They (the muppets as I call them) have to kill penalty goal kicking . it has killed rugby union .. outside of schoolboys.
SDW
From GPS thread, Shore 22 Cranbrook 5.
Pretty sure Josh Farr-Jones finished last year - young for year 12.
Soccer sux!

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have just been looking at Barkers Rugby team fixtures for this Saturday. Opens - 6 teams. The U16's - 3 teams. U 15's - 2 teams. Under 14's - 3 teams - U 13's - 2 teams. Junior school - 1st and 2nds. Conclusion - Barker supporters - enjoy this season for what it is - the lack of depth in the younger age groups is telling - we are unlikely to be much of a force beyond the current season. Suggest you get up there and enjoy it while you can. The following years will be in the wilderness.
Hasbeen.
Did you see from the draw that Aloysius have only one team in 16s. Now there's a problem.
The Barker scenario was quite similar a few years back. Then they just started 'sourcing' players.
We'll be fine.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

Scots teams.

Opens - 9
16s - 5
15s 3 - but half of year is at Glengarry
14s - 6
13s - 7

Would be a lot more at Joeys too.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Scots teams.

Opens - 9
16s - 5
14s - 6
13s - 7

Rich_E,

I applaud Scots for not allowing AFL, the game where you miss and still get 1 point.
I would be confident that this has resulted in more rugby teams at Scots, while nearly every other school suffers union team losses.

REALLY hope they stick to that policy because the reality is nearly all schools took AFL on as a marketing tool to attract future parents/students. The reality is in business it's difficult to be all things to all people, and I am sure Scots enrolments have not suffered, which finishes off the need for AFL argument.

If you want AFL, cross the border into Mexico, I say!

Well done to Scots!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Scots teams.

Opens - 9
16s - 5
14s - 6
13s - 7

Joeys
Opens XV - 12
Under 16's - 7
Under 15's - 8
Under 14's - 6
Under 13's - 7
40 teams

15 Football teams. Capped at 3 only in the 13's and 14's.
They only have one 16's team who gets flogged most weeks.
6 Open teams with the top 2 being competitive.

Amazing that the smallest GPS/CAS school in Sydney produces the most amount of rugby teams.

Riverview 1400 (senior school only)
Newington- 1400 (senior school only)
Scots College 1300 (senior school only)
Kings School- 1300 (senior school only)
Shore- 1200 (senior school only)
Sydney Boys High- 1180
St Josephs College- 1000

Knox- 2000 (senior school only)
Barker 1600 (senior school only) BOYS
Cranbrook 1100 (senior school only)
St Aloysius 1050 (senior school only)
Waverley 1300 (senior school only)
Trinity 2400 (senior school only)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Rich_E,

I applaud Scots for not allowing AFL, the game where you miss and still get 1 point.

They have 9 volleyball teams though. Keeps the ba$ketball players fit during the off season.
Which other schools play Volleyball? Sydney Grammar do.
This option was introduced when the very large Asian community did not want to play rugby or football.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Rich_E,

I would be confident that this has resulted in more rugby teams at Scots, while nearly every other school suffers union team losses.

REALLY hope they stick to that policy because the reality is nearly all schools took AFL on as a marketing tool to attract future parents/students. The reality is in business it's difficult to be all things to all people, and I am sure Scots enrolments have not suffered, which finishes off the need for AFL argument.

If you want AFL, cross the border into Mexico, I say!

Well done to Scots!

I think a lot of Scots old boys - myself included - are happy that Scots haven't introduced AFL. I have nothing against the game. I quite like watching Swans etc. But I do think you can offer too many sports and the lads already have ample choice without it.

Whilst on the topic though, many probably don't realise Fred Tricks (Scots 14 who made extended Australian squad) is a gun AFL player. Made Swans u18s Academy side in 2016. But I understand he hasn't played AFL in 2017 and 2018 to focus on his rugby. And it shows. He has improved enormously. Here's hoping he sticks with rugby post school. If you get a chance to watch him play for Scots in next 4 weeks, note he is the one who often takes the kicks for touch. Gives it a nudge too.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waves team for brook

1.valentine
2. Mcguiggan
3.aholelei
4. Rice
5. Whiteman
6. Murphy
7. Molloy
8. Moretti
9. Thorn