• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Think cas going to be a great comp in 2019

Hopefully cranbrook will not lose any of the above

And aloys puts up a fight

Guessing st Greg’s were without league players earlier in year

Who did trinity play today? And how did they fare

Results for Waverley look pretty respectable across ages

Believe they won 13As, 15As and 16As. and narrow loss in 2nds

And won 3rds and fair portion of lower grades

Wave’s look to be very strong in 2020 and beyond based on the younger A’s results.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity squeaked in over Oakhill , 19-17 or something like that. Oakhill aren’t strong this year, but a win’s a win.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I agree, would be a good year to have a 2 round competition as one loss could ensure a good team out of contention early, but let’s hope not. CAS teams may be matching GPS teams but what do you think will happen come the CAS vs GPS rep game?
The way I read things is that the CAS schools have definitely closed the gap with GPS. Some of the CAS schools lack depth but 1sts and A games are generally quite even. Shore continue to fall away on the GPS side, while Grammar and High are long gone at the top level.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The way I read things is that the CAS schools have definitely closed the gap with GPS. Some of the CAS schools lack depth but 1sts and A games are generally quite even. Shore continue to fall away on the GPS side, while Grammar and High are long gone at the top level.

I don’t think this is quite right. I don’t think the GPS/CAS distinction is what matters now - it’s whether it’s a big or small Rugby school. The big ones are Joeys, Riverview, Scots, Kings, Barker, Knox, Waverley. I don’t include Newington because it falls away so rapidly after the A teams. Then there’s the rest, who occasionally will produce an excellent 1st XV but won’t ever match the big schools for depth or consistency. Because more of the big schools are in GPS, GPS usually beats CAS at representative level (but not always, as recent years show).

And, to be clear, by “big” I don’t just mean number of players - I also take into account resources devoted to the program.

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don’t think this is quite right. I don’t think the GPS/CAS distinction is what matters now - it’s whether it’s a big or small Rugby school. The big ones are Joeys, Riverview, Scots, Kings, Barker, Knox, Waverley. I don’t include Newington because it falls away so rapidly after the A teams. Then there’s the rest, who occasionally will produce an excellent 1st XV but won ever match the big schools for depth or consistency. Because more of the big schools are in GPS, GPS usually beats CAS at representative level (but not always, as recent years show).

And, to be clear, by “big” I don’t just mean number of players - I also take into account resources devoted to the program.

That’s probably the right way to look at it. The days of any school just seeing who turns up in year 7 and relying on sheer playing numbers to push the cream to the top over 5 years and expect to win consistently at 1st XV level are well over. Case in point: Shore. In most cases, the huge number of sports on offer at school has cut the overall rugby playing numbers anyway. A structured programme with professional coaches at the top and compulsory qualification/certification of underage team coaches to actually develop their own boys, then a sprinkling of “new players” arriving in year 10 or 11 to reinforce the team at the pointy end seems to be the formula being used to compete in the front ranks. Having a consistently competent 1st XV seems to be a matter of choice by a headmaster, who can ensure the appropriate resources of skilled people, time, facilities, admission criteria and promotion are put in this direction. Tim Cleary at St Augustine’s could write the manual!

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I don’t think this is quite right. I don’t think the GPS/CAS distinction is what matters now - it’s whether it’s a big or small Rugby school. The big ones are Joeys, Riverview, Scots, Kings, Barker, Knox, Waverley. I don’t include Newington because it falls away so rapidly after the A teams. Then there’s the rest, who occasionally will produce an excellent 1st XV but won’t ever match the big schools for depth or consistency. Because more of the big schools are in GPS, GPS usually beats CAS at representative level (but not always, as recent years show).

Hello Snort

Actually, Newington have more depth than Barker, better than Knox with the exception of the 16s and opens and about equal with Waverly. With there exception of the Opens we are almost equal to Kings, last I saw their teams. However, Aussie Rules appears at the moment to have taken our 6th XV and the 16Ds at the moment. However, I do agree we fall away in the lower grades. Like Knox we are offering too many easy sports.

Presently, we have an excellent 15A side and strong performing 14As and 13As. Our 16As appear to be very competitive. Yes our thirds are not competitive against GPS Schools. But when one considers the amount of soccer we play and now Aussie Rules, we do a good job. So I would argue that if you include Barker,Knox and Waverly. You should also include Newington.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hello Snort

Actually, Newington have more depth than Barker, better than Knox with the exception of the 16s and opens and about equal with Waverly. With there exception of the Opens we are almost equal to Kings, last I saw their teams. However, Aussie Rules appears at the moment to have taken our 6th XV and the 16Ds at the moment. However, I do agree we fall away in the lower grades. Like Knox we are offering too many easy sports.

Presently, we have an excellent 15A side and strong performing 14As and 13As. Our 16As appear to be very competitive. Yes our thirds are not competitive against GPS Schools. But when one considers the amount of soccer we play and now Aussie Rules, we do a good job. So I would argue that if you include Barker,Knox and Waverly. You should also include Newington.

That may be right: I was really thinking about the last ten years or so, during which time Newington put out some rather weak B teams. The larger point remains that the old association groupings are no longer terribly helpful.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
A structured programme with professional coaches at the top and compulsory qualification/certification of underage team coaches to actually develop their own boys, then a sprinkling of “new players” arriving in year 10 or 11 to reinforce the team at the pointy end seems to be the formula being used to compete in the front ranks. Having a consistently competent 1st XV seems to be a matter of choice by a headmaster, who can ensure the appropriate resources of skilled people, time, facilities, admission criteria and promotion are put in this direction. Tim Cleary at St Augustine’s could write the manual!

Didn't Scots add to that list of success factors the aggressive recruitment of primary school rugby stars for entry into Year 7? The term "sprinkling" could also be described at Scots as "deluge".
For all the debate, the strategy worked. What was the outcome - 5 premierships in 5 years and a growing enrolment demand?

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Didn't Scots add to that list of success factors the aggressive recruitment of primary school rugby stars for entry into Year 7? The term "sprinkling" could also be described at Scots as "deluge".
For all the debate, the strategy worked. What was the outcome - 5 premierships in 5 years and a growing enrolment demand?

Some push it to the very limits but all of the schools mentioned appear to be practising some version of the formula - and they need to to compete. The boost in morale having a strong 1st XV provides to the student body is well recognised by the headmasters, as well as the admissions department. I think having the two comps play their pre season together has lifted the stakes as well - to Snorts point. No one wants to get bashed every week - students and parents alike. Also, rep sides are picked almost straight after these games, so that’s why most of these games are so desperately fought even though there are no competition points on offer. Just a theory. It’s enjoyable to watch though!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be clear: I mean no criticism of the big Rugby schools. They just make Rugby more of a priority than others. The game would be in trouble without them. But their approach creates inequalities in competitions designed over 100 years ago.

Nuffie101

Frank Row (1)
Hello :) New here.
I know its no ones primary concern considering theres not actually an offical comp, but whats the state of the 2nd XV circuit? Any early prospects for a prem? Was a 2s player at Trinity for 2 years (never quite made it), and as such I like to keep an eye on it.

Microwave

Bob McCowan (2)
I've heard word that this coming Saturday Aloys will be versing Cranbrook 2's rather then the 1's. Can anyone confirm this

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Aah I dont think I would be writing off Barker just yet fellers. Give it some time before making bold predictions. This year will be the tightest I think I have seen the comp for quite a few years.

Graham Richard

Bob McCowan (2)
I got out to the hit out against St Gregs in fact looking at the program both schools put forward what i imagine are their best sides. Understanding that Gregs had an impressive league game and were backing up for their 3rd big game of the week. Gregs also had players out with CCC league commitments such as their centers and half. According to the program all Cranbrook players were named 1-15 with the exception of Lachlan Bible. Was an impressive game with Gregs really stepping up the physicality and speed on the Brook boys except being let down execution wise and lack of discipline throughout the game. The scoreboard doesn't reflect the game at all as a couple of bounces went the way of the Brook boys. Well done to them and am keen to watch them have a fair crack at the premiership as this is the best side I have seen in years and have been following them for a couple of seasons.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Based off recent results over the trial period i have predicted myself the mock ladder heading towards the CAS season

1) Cranbrook
2) Knox
3) Waverley
4) Trinity
5) Aloys

Having seen Knox, Barker, Trinity and Aloys play Shore so far this year and having seen the Waverley/Kings game replay, I would probably go with the following:
1) Waverley
2) Barker
3) Knox
4) Cranbrook
5) Trinity
6) Aloys

Cranbrook being the wildcard as I have no idea about them given they havent really had a hard game against levelled opposition yet.