• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Usually by this time of year, this forum is full of Waverley supporters announcing that Waverley will win, and half the side will make Australian Schoolboys. This year, not so much.

My own sense is that it's Knox's year. Their forwards are powerful (I particularly like the look of Kablau and Cheal) and their backs are fast and efficient. And they have depth. I see them being pushed by Waverley and Cranbrook. Waverley was never all that strong in this age group, but it wasn't weak and Waverley has had an influx of players in Year 11 who change things up a bit (I cast no aspersions - it just is what it is). Their backs seem better than their forwards, and I've always been impressed by Hutchison-Walters. Cranbrook would possibly be favourites but for the loss of Jude Gibbs to St Joseph's. Their forwards - players like Hayman, Tasker and Carroll - are mobile and powerful and there's some speed in the backs. Lamens at fullback is a difficult player to judge: like Quade Cooper, he often does brilliant and unexpected things in attack and then attempts some low-percentage play that backfires. Tas Smith is a key player. But depth is a worry and a couple of injuries could derail the year. Barker seems solid, while Trinity and St Aloysius will look to cause an upset here or there. Trinity would have been a stronger proposition with Ieremia, but for whatever reason, he's not on deck this season.

But - the thing about a 5-round competition is that one upset changes everything. In 1980, the (then unofficial) premiership was split three ways: Trinity, Waverley and Barker each won four and lost one. I wouldn't bet against something similar happening this year. It may be too much to hope for a repeat of 1972, when Knox, Barker, Waverley and Cranbrook all won three and lost two: a four-way shared premiership.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Usually by this time of year, this forum is full of Waverley supporters announcing that Waverley will win, and half the side will make Australian Schoolboys. This year, not so much.

My own sense is that it's Knox's year. Their forwards are powerful (I particularly like the look of Kablau and Cheal) and their backs are fast and efficient. And they have depth. I see them being pushed by Waverley and Cranbrook. Waverley was never all that strong in this age group, but it wasn't weak and Waverley has had an influx of players in Year 11 who change things up a bit (I cast no aspersions - it just is what it is). Their backs seem better than their forwards, and I've always been impressed by Hutchison-Walters. Cranbrook would possibly be favourites but for the loss of Jude Gibbs to St Joseph's. Their forwards - players like Hayman, Tasker and Carroll - are mobile and powerful and there's some speed in the backs. Lamens at fullback is a difficult player to judge: like Quade Cooper, he often does brilliant and unexpected things in attack and then attempts some low-percentage play that backfires. Tas Smith is a key player. But depth is a worry and a couple of injuries could derail the year. Barker seems solid, while Trinity and St Aloysius will look to cause an upset here or there. Trinity would have been a stronger proposition with Ieremia, but for whatever reason, he's not on deck this season.

But - the thing about a 5-round competition is that one upset changes everything. In 1980, the (then unofficial) premiership was split three ways: Trinity, Waverley and Barker each won four and lost one. I wouldn't bet against something similar happening this year. It may be too much to hope for a repeat of 1972, when Knox, Barker, Waverley and Cranbrook all won three and lost two: a four-way shared premiership.

Hi Snort, Waves will win!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Who is cranners having their last hit out against... Kambala?

Spoke to a mother of a kid that is playing nrl and cas rugby

And she said it is a joke how much free stuff the nrl throws at the kids, compared to the aru’s attitude that you should be thankful that your son is progressing through the rep levels that he (or parents) should just keep coughing up

Australia rugby is completely without a clue

And the nrl kids are being held in the system just in faint hope that all blacks won’t crush us at years end, when it is clear that half the kids are going straight to mungo land

There is just no alternate rugby union pathway... short of being a trust fund kid

And even Angus Crichton son of a wealthy farmer shows not even the trust fund babies are a hope

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Who is cranners having their last hit out against. Kambala?

And she said it is a joke how much free stuff the nrl throws at the kids, compared to the aru’s attitude that you should be thankful that your son is progressing through the rep levels that he (or parents) should just keep coughing up

And the nrl kids are being held in the system just in faint hope that all blacks won’t crush us at years end, when it is clear that half the kids are going straight to mungo land

There is just no alternate rugby union pathway. short of being a trust fund kid

And even Angus Crichton son of a wealthy farmer shows not even the trust fund babies are a hope
Cranbrook have got aloys at Bellevue hill this weekend, should give a somewhat decent indication of where both are at.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Who is cranners having their last hit out against. Kambala?

There is just no alternate rugby union pathway. short of being a trust fund kid

What's your solution SDW?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's your solution SDW?

Look I am not holding myself out to be the expert ... but what I can say is constantly doing the same thing is seeing the game die.

I see NRL as being a failure in terms of making the game family friendly ... I cannot take my daughter to an NRL game ... it is "feral"

So Union has some solid potential ... but there are also lots of things that could be done to win "hearts and minds"

On a Sunday at 4 pm instead of watching a NRL game ... I could be presented on free to air TV a rugby alternative... although whether Murdoch has the ARU so stitched up?

anyway what do I know ... but something needs to change ... as Aussie rugby seems to be becoming more and more narrowly followed ... and a real shame

AFL aint that exciting and NRL sure can be repetitive .. crash and bash.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Look I am not holding myself out to be the expert . but what I can say is constantly doing the same thing is seeing the game die.

I see NRL as being a failure in terms of making the game family friendly . I cannot take my daughter to an NRL game . it is "feral"

So Union has some solid potential . but there are also lots of things that could be done to win "hearts and minds"

On a Sunday at 4 pm instead of watching a NRL game . I could be presented on free to air TV a rugby alternative. although whether Murdoch has the ARU so stitched up?

anyway what do I know . but something needs to change . as Aussie rugby seems to be becoming more and more narrowly followed . and a real shame

AFL aint that exciting and NRL sure can be repetitive .. crash and bash.

Why not move club rugby to sunday ? All rugby is played on saturday ? Why? they could spread school boy , super rugby, subbies and Shute shield over the weekend to create more opportunities to watch.I would love to have the chance to go watch manly on saturday but im at 2 schoolboy rugby matches. It also means schoolboys aren't watching it either ,but they can watch league all weekend.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I tip aloys .. They will throw the kitchen sink at cranbrook

And cranbrook will believe their own hype, and rest a few of their marquee players

Cranners will dust off the narrow loss ... safe in their knowledge that they will be ready for round 1

Most of the team (excluding imports) will use the June opening weekend to swan down to thredders

For some sneaky jaegermeisters at daddy’s epic chalet

Before returning , Tuesday morning, in Range Rover convoy for the start of cas season 2019

Tally-ho

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)

And cranbrook will believe their own hype, and rest a few of their marquee players

Cranners will dust off the narrow loss . safe in their knowledge that they will be ready for round 1

Most of the team (excluding imports) will use the June opening weekend to swan down to thredders

Before returning , Tuesday morning, in Range Rover convoy for the start of cas season 2019

Tally-ho

You’re off course there SDW, not about the ski trip - that all sounds fabulous. But Brook to beat Aloys at Hordern regardless of analysis or reasoning. I’m guessing Brook would’ve played a stronger team last weekend in St Greg’s, would you agree?

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)
Ha, no it wasn't our mate, and yes this 15as team is exceptional.

YOUR mate did ref our 16as team 2 weeks ago and caused carnage, sent 1 of our boys off after having a pushing contest with another boy. We all saw it right in front of us, absolutely nothing in it.
So he spoke to both boys, gave the opposition a penalty and gave our boy a RED card for head butting, people nearly jumped the fence! Then in his report,rather than missing the next week, he recommended a 3 week penalty. The judiciary gave him the standard 1 week!
Someone needs to whisper in his ear, how bout you!

oh dear.... he strikes again...
he is not my mate, and I dont know him well at all - so you know it is out of order to recommend any judiciary sentences in providing a send off report, so I hope he gets chipped about that - also he doesn't listen to anyone that ref - apparently 'in his day' he used to ref consistently 1st XV CAS/ GPS games, as well as higher level subbies matches... perhaps he is stuck back in the past.

You all should have jumped the fence! I bet it would have looked like one of those old Benny Hill shows, towards the end/ scrolling credits where everyone is chasing Benny around all and sundry trying to get a piece of him.. (lol)

How did your lads go against Kings last Saturday? How was that ref at QP? (I do know the ref who was on that game)...

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)

Cranners will dust off the narrow loss . safe in their knowledge that they will be ready for round 1

Tally-ho

I am with SDW on this, and I cannot see this game being a massive win for brook; recently I have seen both Cranbrook (vs TAS) and Alos (vs Shore 2nds) and both teams look evenly matched from my perspective.
Alos will have the more aggressive pack, and they appear to be well lead by the big lock; their 7 is great over the loose ball, and their scrum constantly pushed Shore 2nds (who were not a small pack at all!) backwards...

The backs for both teams appear evenly matched; 12/ 13 for both teams are big and skilled runners of the ball (the 13 for Alos will test the defense of his counterpart), and the Alos 15 has a good step and can motor in space (as is his counterpart)

This game will come down to 2 x things
discipline, or a lack of it, and goal kicking. Alos gave away quite a few PKs on Saturday at Shore, but were not punished by the opposition for it, whereas Cranbrook will cause them pain with extra ball and space. Aloys also missed a few shots at goal at Nbridge, and relatively easy ones as well. The kicker for Brook (the #1 I believe) can slot them from anywhere..

If I have time I will head down to Hordern on Saturday to see how this one goes...

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
oh dear.. he strikes again.
he is not my mate, and I dont know him well at all - so you know it is out of order to recommend any judiciary sentences in providing a send off report, so I hope he gets chipped about that - also he doesn't listen to anyone that ref - apparently 'in his day' he used to ref consistently 1st XV CAS/ GPS games, as well as higher level subbies matches. perhaps he is stuck back in the past.

You all should have jumped the fence! I bet it would have looked like one of those old Benny Hill shows, towards the end/ scrolling credits where everyone is chasing Benny around all and sundry trying to get a piece of him.. (lol)

How did your lads go against Kings last Saturday? How was that ref at QP? (I do know the ref who was on that game).

Yes it would have been a Benny Hill scene, ha, but THIS time we would have caught him!
Our boys won 33-0 and the ref, who we both know, was great, very balanced.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Who is cranners having their last hit out against. Kambala?"

Don't joke. The Kambala fixture is brutal.

Instead, it will be a relatively relaxed hit-out against St Aloysius. I don't think it will be a blowout - Cranbrook is by some distance the better side, but St Aloysius are pretty tenacious and find ways to stay in the contest, even when winning it is out of reach.

I wonder whether we're not underestimating Barker, who are flying under the radar a bit this year. That big win over Shore is hard to evaluate - yes, Shore aren't strong and they had an early red card, but to put 70 points on a GPS side takes some doing.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
"Who is cranners having their last hit out against. Kambala?"

Don't joke. The Kambala fixture is brutal.

Instead, it will be a relatively relaxed hit-out against St Aloysius. I don't think it will be a blowout - Cranbrook is by some distance the better side, but St Aloysius are pretty tenacious and find ways to stay in the contest, even when winning it is out of reach.

I wonder whether we're not underestimating Barker, who are flying under the radar a bit this year. That big win over Shore is hard to evaluate - yes, Shore aren't strong and they had an early red card, but to put 70 points on a GPS side takes some doing.

Agreed Snort - it seems strange that we are almost not even talking about last years well deserved premiers. I know things can change drastically in a year but they'd have to be considered. Still have the coaching from last year and an Australian Schoolboys hooker in Billy Pollard who yes, is only one player, but can still have a huge impact.

Knox are the favourites I believe, but Barker put 75 on Shore, Knox only 50. This is not how rugby works but still an indication that Barker may be stronger than we believe.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Agreed Snort - it seems strange that we are almost not even talking about last years well deserved premiers. I know things can change drastically in a year but they'd have to be considered. Still have the coaching from last year and an Australian Schoolboys hooker in Billy Pollard who yes, is only one player, but can still have a huge impact.

Knox are the favourites I believe, but Barker put 75 on Shore, Knox only 50. This is not how rugby works but still an indication that Barker may be stronger than we believe.

I watched both the Barker and Knox games against Shore and Barker were the more impressive side of the two. While the Barker score was a bit illusory (Shore played with 14 players for over 50 minutes), Barker exploited space very cleverly and had some very dynamic runners. Barker had some early season defensive issues in their backs and moved one of the forwards to assist which apparently has helped.

Barkers forward pack has definitely been underrated from what I have seen.