• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cubesquare

MATE i don't know what you're smoking but to leave out players like Creeley and Lagudi..... you must be bloody blind mate!

I have yet to we freely contribute. Yes Knox may have beat trinity, but I didnt see him do anything I don't know about you. Maybe his reputation precedes him, but I see him walking on the field, indicating either a lack of fitness or attitude problems.

V

Veteran101

I Reckon:
CAS 1stXV

1. Cam Orr
2. Tom Wilson (Nsw 1stXV Opens Last yr, Will be selected again)
3. Junior Satiu
4. Williams
5. Will Fay
6. Moala
7. Jack Johnson
8. Malaki Afele
9. Harry Jenkins
10. Jamo Clark
11. Haynes Whileman
12. Gabe Farley
13. Liam Creely
14. Jonno Pack
15. Will Patterson

Clunies Ross - If fit to play, play 15
Vinney Morsello - With out a doubt got a great running game, but 'hookers' must have there bread and butter locked down. and his throwing is below average

Jarrod Smith - Might be selected due to back 3 combination.
Nick Kouts - Has Been in good form. May be a surprise selection.
Jack Whitaker - If not picked in 1st, will find his place in CAS team somewhere

Sam Kitchen - Battle between him and morsello for 2s selection.

doinBRA

Bob McCowan (2)
paterson never plays on the wing either fullback or 5/8. smith form waverley must be an option on the wing. with most tries from waverley coming from the back.

Bill McLean (32)
Constructive Criticism - Not Personal Attacks!

Why is this the only thread where personal attacks are rife. I believe this thread has already been shut down once and as the race for selection hots up it will only get worse!

Please if you disagree with another's opinion don't make unnecessary and derogatory reference to that person inability to see or their state of mind; it's unwarranted!

Instead, put forward your argument as to why you disagree and back it up with facts that you know and/or genuinely believe to be reliable! Persuasive argument as opposed to personal attacks will always sway readers to agree with your perspective!

C'mon fellas let's keep it clean!

Regards,

Bill McLean (32)
Yes many from the U16s, but also guys like Morsello

MOTH,

IMO there are only three players from the Trinity 2011 U/16's that I 'PRESENTLY' believe are worthy of selection in a CAS 1st's team. They are:
Jamo Clark
Maleke Afele
Junior Satiu

Clark takes a lot of battering on this site, and I think unnecessarily. I personally put it down to 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. Yes his defence is weak but in recent times the lad has not been afraid to put his body on the line. Beside this I know that he puts a lot of effort into his training and improving every aspect of his game. He does have a bit of an attitude problem but I believe this is changing with maturity. He certainly has some X factor about him and what he lacks in defence he more than compensates with his attack!

With respect to Afele, what more can be said. Since going to Trinity he has become a more complete player. He has stripped weight and looks every part a future professional. He now leads by example and nothing is more evident of this in the example of the game against St Pats, where it is my understanding, that he scored the winning try in the dying seconds of the game to win. His team mates look up to him for go forward and he certainly gives plenty of the same!

As for Satiu, he is another that was brought into the Trinity fold last year. I have seen him play on occassion for several years now, especially at a club level, and he delivers the goods! It was a shame he was injured (????) for last years U/16 NSW Schools Championship. This lad like Malaki has got plenty of, now well controlled, mongrel!

With respect to the other Trinity lads like Orr, Finn, Roberts, Winterstein, and Kotobalavu I am not of the view that they have reached the necessary standard to mix it with the experienced backs of the other sides. I know all, with the exception of Kotobalavu, were SJRU reps last year however none were considered for selection in the NSW Schools team (the flying Fijian has come from league and played in the St George SG Ball team this year and Harold Matts the year before). I will now deal with each in turn.

I know there are big wraps on Orr being a great work horse and the like, but he lacks that mongrel that he will need to take him to the next level. He always puts in tradesman like performances and never lets his team mates down, but he doesn't have that spark and mongrel which will be very necessary to take on the likes of the GPS and CHS forwards!

Finn, who is yet another brought into the Trintity stable of recent time, is a class player however IMO he is being played out of position in the centres. At full back he is electric yet he never seems to play in this position. With respect to Roberts I have not seen him play in a while, but I am not hearing his name being carried in the wind like it used to, however I could be wrong and will stand corrected if it is the case that I am.

Now to young Trent. As most will know I was absolutely incensed when this kid was not originally selected in the SJRU team last year. However my screams were that of many in the rugby fraternity and he was later included! In actual fact I was disappointed to not see him at last years NSWCCC Rugby trials (when I believe he was still attending a Catholic school). It is now my understanding he attends Trinity. Am I correct? Either way I actually got to see the lad play on the weekend for his club team Merrylands. There game was just before the State Champ trials. To my shock he was playing flanker! He also looked to be stockier, and seems to have lost a yard of pace though he did score a great try beating, of all people, Orr who was playing in the centres ... lol. Unfortunately Trent hasn't had a growth spurt (which is in no way reflective of his talent) but from experience this will play on selectors minds! It always does! And this young lad of all people has unfairly experienced it in the past! He would be my first selection in any team irrespective of where I had to put him, but unfortunately selectors look for size!

Finally, Kotobalavu. Being Fijian you would obviously think that rugby would be in his blood ... lol. As stated above he is a leaguey which doesn't automatically translate to rugby and I think it will take a season to find his feet. I could be wrong!

Well MOTH there concludes my long winded summation; as always I know you will share your thoughts ... lol!

Regards,

P

Peace keeper

I Reckon:
CAS 1stXV

1. Cam Orr
3. Junior Satiu
4. Williams
5. Will Fay
6. Moala
7. Jack Johnson
8. Malaki Afele
9. Harry Jenkins
10. Jamo Clark
11. Haynes Whileman
12. Gabe Farley
13. Liam Creely
14. Jonno Pack
15. Will Patterson

Vinney Morsello - With out a doubt got a great running game, but 'hookers' must have there bread and butter locked down. and his throwing is below average

Basically what my team would look like if i was selecting. but the criticism towards Morsello and his throw can not be judged on one particular game, ive watch his pre season games as well as the waverly and knox games and i can tell you now he has practically hit close to 90% of all his lineouts every game besides from the knox game where i understand after talking to the physio from trinity that he had a shoulder injury leading in to that game making it harder then it actually was to hit the mark as well as other communication problems that they had in there lineout but this does not take any of the other hookers out of contention Venteran101

V

Veteran101

Well if his shoulder was bad, My fault for not knowing. But if i was a selector watching that game, doubt i would know he had a bad shoulder. but it was the only game i watched and i shouldn't of jumped to conclusions. My bad. but im sure Tom Wilson's throw, Is a must have in the CAS Team.

Plus! Dont be surprised if cranbrook get a few extras in. Just like the CAS teams last yr, They were coming dead last and got more players into the CAS Teams then trinity (I think it was).

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
Newbie, winterstein does not attend trinity but at the start of the year I was hearing rumors that it was a consideration? Fair comments on all those gentlemen, except could you alleviate on Kotobalavu ? From
What I've seen of the dragons SG ball team he is a vital player and still new to the rugby side of things but a great demolishing Wing none the less.
Finally, about Orr, I was speaking to one of his team mates and that team mate said that "he's the toughest player he's ever seen". I was also out at club game last Sunday where Orr was at 13 I think! yes LOL but I heard from
The coaches it was due to numbers and from What I saw he only played a good 5-10 minutes, where he touched the ball once. I think Orr is a strong competitive player an wouldn't find it a struggle at all against the CHS or GPS forwards as he has already played against or with most of them.

hleaver

Frank Row (1)
Tyson Davis future superstar of the cas, has qualities beyond the likes of Jamo, paterson and clunies-ross.
His tackling is sublime and kicking game is developed among the best in the country.
Surely he will be picked this year for schoolboys after just missing out last year.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It's Paterson for mine, Clunies-Ross 2nd and daylight third in the fullback race.
Paterson needs to do some work on his decision making but it's about a little restraint to not attempt the impossible so often......what a dream player to coach, you only have to discourage him from doing too much.
Billy Slater makes a few bloopers too but I'd have him in my team every day.
It's a little like the full back decision the AB's had to make last year between Israel Dagg (Paterson) and Mils Muliaina (Clunies-Ross).
Go for the X factor.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's Paterson for mine, Clunies-Ross 2nd and daylight third in the fullback race.
Paterson needs to do some work on his decision making but it's about a little restraint to not attempt the impossible so often......what a dream player to coach, you only have to discourage him from doing too much.
Billy Slater makes a few bloopers too but I'd have him in my team every day.
It's a little like the full back decision the AB's had to make last year between Israel Dagg (Paterson) and Mils Muliaina (Clunies-Ross).
Go for the X factor.

If you want "X factor", Clunies-Ross has it in spades. He can score from anywhere. Really, debating whether Clunies-Ross or Paterson will be in the CAS 1sts is pretty futile. If Clunies-Ross is fit, he will be there. The only issue is which position, since the option exists to play him (or Paterson) on the wing.

hleaver

Frank Row (1)
If you want "X factor", Clunies-Ross has it in spades. He can score from anywhere. Really, debating whether Clunies-Ross or Paterson will be in the CAS 1sts is pretty futile. If Clunies-Ross is fit, he will be there. The only issue is which position, since the option exists to play him (or Paterson) on the wing.

nah tyson davis has qualities beyond those two,
clunies ross and paterson to battle it for the 2nd cas spot.

M

Matt Gall

Another person who the selectors should consider when they are selecting CAS 1's and 2's is Lachlan Brown...He is coming back this weekend for knox against aloys and he has really improved in the last 2 years while being the in the opens. Knox brought him from Oakhill. Hes weighs about 110kg, 6ft4 and is very strong. He makes massive hits and big runs. I have been hearing as well from knox that people rate higher than Nutbeen. He can play any position in the forward pack besides the hooker but his preferred position is 6, hes also quite the leader and has a big influence around the school due to his father and because of this he has a bit of an ego and attitude problem and this may cost him his position. So Aloys should watch out this weekend Lachlan Brown is back...
p.s. dont try to fight him because hes knows Muay Thai...

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Trinity vs Knox- Last Saturday

I somewhat reluctantly travelled to Summer Hill last Saturday. Having watched Knox play very averagelly against Oakhill and very poorly against Barker, I was not enthused -Just as well I missed the debacle against Waverley. However I had been informed the first half against Waverley was reasonable & that Knox had been missing both centres. Team for Trinity had Creely & Newby back in the centres and Seton reverting to correct front-row position.
Trinity came out firing but Knox more than held them in the set pieces and scored only try in the first half. Constant swarming defence in 2nd half cracked Trinity and their game fell to pieces- Knox running in 3 more tries.
Points to note:
  • Creely & Newby made huge difference to backline. Creely's hand still bandaged & to his disadvantage and he came off with 15 minutes to go, to much applause from the Knox crowd.
  • Scrum very strong- took 2 tight heads; although the ref called 1 back. Both Knox props had strong games & Outplayed their Trinity opponents.
  • Nutbeam had his best game (I,ve seen) at No.8
  • Knox Coaches used bench well bringing fresh legs on in 2nd half to keep the pressure on
After Barker game I had written Knox off for season- it's now a matter whether they can keep standard up. Keeping possession and averting further injuries will be the keys.
I note their U16As are undefeated at this point in time.

Bill McLean (32)
nah tyson davis has qualities beyond those two,
clunies ross and paterson to battle it for the 2nd cas spot.

LOL@DAVIS-AT-FULLBACK,

Sorry mate but you need to get out of the sun, or stop raiding your father's liquor cabinet!

Nevertheless your loyalty to your friend should be commended!

There is always next year!

Regards,

hleaver

Frank Row (1)
LOL@DAVIS-AT-FULLBACK,

Sorry mate but you need to get out of the sun, or stop raiding your father's liquor cabinet!

Nevertheless your loyalty to your friend should be commended!

There is always next year!

Regards,

obviously havent seen him yet, he has basically won both of barker's opening games for them.

And I am a Knox fan actually but davis is undeniable talent.

Future Superstar

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Having seen all the fullbacks ( except Clunies Ross this year ) , I have to agree that it is a race in 2. I think Tyson is strong, but next year for him. Patto has the x factor and the proven league toughness and good pedigree ( his old man played for the Roosters). It would be good to see Clunies Ross back on the park - any idea when ? I suspect if he is up to it, he will et 15 and Patto on the wing.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I Reckon:
CAS 1stXV

1. Cam Orr
3. Junior Satiu
4. Williams
5. Will Fay
6. Moala
7. Jack Johnson
8. Malaki Afele
9. Harry Jenkins
10. Jamo Clark
11. Haynes Whileman
12. Gabe Farley
13. Liam Creely
14. Jonno Pack
15. Will Patterson

No. 5 Anders Lembke-Hogan was starting in the 1st CAS squad last year. Just as good in the line-out as Williams, but has had injury problems recently. If he finds the same form on return from this he will undoubtedly be in CAS 1sts

Bill McLean (32)
obviously havent seen him yet, he has basically won both of barker's opening games for them.

And I am a Knox fan actually but davis is undeniable talent.

Future Superstar

Future superstar maybe! There is no denying that my friend! However your assertion was that he is now ready to displace Clunies-Ross.

I am no Trintiy fan by any sense of the term, and there are others in this site who will attest to that fact, nevertheless I have not seen any other fullback in the CAS competition that is the same category as a fit and healthy Clunies-Ross.

In putting Davis forward as the best then he has obviously come up against, and beaten those who are currently considered the best! Would my assumption be correct? If so can you please identify where this lad has done so?

I am not denying this lad had talent and potential (maybe it is the case that he is the next incumbent), however when you make a big statement that he is going to take the mantle as the top fullback please lend some credibility to your argument because the lads you have drawn comparisons with are established and have the runs on the board so to speak!

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.