• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
Barker also won the 2nds 37-3 and 3rds 65-0 (ref called full time with 8 minutes left)
Thought the 1sts might have been 63-12 (but did lose track a bit)

Aloys 1sts put up a good fight in the first half (19-7 at half time). Their number 13 scored a good try stepping several Barker defenders. The speed of the game and a few injuries wore them down and the flood gates opened. Thought Aloys half back played well. Scrum and line out was good. Definitely would not say it was a walk in the park - remember neither Cranbrook or Knox managed a try against Barker. It's just that when the other team loses a few players and are tired at the back end of a game the Barker back line can score from anywhere

Very apparent in the 2nds that Barker played at a different speed & can sustain it for the full match.

Not sure we saw the same game, the scrum was dominated by Barker in the second half, Aloys line out was very ordinary with Barker winning quite a few line outs against the throw. To say Barker won because a 'team loses a few players & are tired' is rubbish. Simply, Aloys did not have enough depth and experience and it showed. Barker were slow out of the blocks this week and did struggle but once they found the sweet spot in their game they dominated Aloys. Having watch Barker play Knox, Cranbrook & Aloys there seems to be a pattern emerging, play the first half cautiously, understand the opposition and then come out with all guns blazing in the second half.
The No 5 for Aloys played well and held his team together, lead from the front and put everything on the line, shame the rest of the team didn't follow.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Waverly did getup over Cranbrook, then looking forward to a top of the table clash next week!
I predict an arm wrestle in the 1st 1/2 (12-6) then Barker to open up in the 2nd 1/2, and get away with a good win!
I heard Waverley got up 29-10 in the firsts, but that was third hand

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Snip Having watch Barker play Knox, Cranbrook & Aloys there seems to be a pattern emerging, play the first half cautiously, understand the opposition and then come out with all guns blazing in the second half. Snip

That my friends, has all the hallmarks off a coach letting the boys direct traffic in the first half and then "adjusting" team tactics at the break.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
That my friends, has all the hallmarks off a coach letting the boys direct traffic in the first half and then "adjusting" team tactics at the break.

If anything it is the opposite way around – coach has them play a very structured game in the 1st half and them more freedom in the 2nd. In fact the structure looks very similar throughout the game - it’s just that in the second half an exhausted and sometimes depleted opposition give them more space and can’t keep up with the speed out wide.

Re the comments from Oldpig:
Of course Barker scrum and line out were better in the 2nd half - the opposition were falling apart physically. From 12-7 just before half time to final score was more than just tactics.

Barker play a very structured game based around playing the game at high speed and moving the opposition around the park. The opposition are repeatedly asked to tackle players running at full speed into them; Barker are quick to the ruck and forcefully hit the ruck, recycle is usually quick etc…The opponents wear down from being hit hard and having to sprint to the next play etc.

The backline plays are executed at very high speed. The 10 runs FAST & because he is willing to challenge the line himself the defence is constantly stretched and unsure where to position. Too many other teams play 12 crash ball and make it easy for the defence to condense. Other part of the slow first half versus Aloys was sloppy ball from 9 early in the match. The Barker game plan puts very heavy demands on the 9 for fast accurate service & once he found his range the back line was humming.

I credit the coaches with drilling a team that can execute the skills at such a high speed and have the fitness to execute for a full game. Credit the boys with being good enough to execute it and stick to it during the early arm wrestle phase of the game. The Barker outside backs have speed to burn and a tired opposition on the back foot leaks points. In every game this year Barker have scored heavily in the last 20 minutes. This is not rubbish, it is just the facts.

Fatigued players are also more at risk of injury. The Barker low injury toll might be luck or it might be better fitness, time will tell.

Others have commented about Knox running out of petrol in their first 2 games. Cranbrook had many injuries and ran out of petrol. They just lasted longer than Aloys who were physically gone 10 minutes into the second half.

The only half time tactical adjustment was in the Cranbrook game and was because of the injury to 15. In the second half Cranbrook were more willing to kick to him because he couldn’t run and Barker had 14 shadowing back to run the ball back repeatedly before eventually switching 11 to full back and taking 15 off. Also used 13 to hit the line a lot more instead of 15.

Agree Aloys No 5 played very strongly. The game was held up for several minutes on a couple of occasions as they picked up off the ground. Looked certain to go off but he carried on. Good on him for a gutsy effort but for most of the second half he was playing hurt with no petrol left in the tank.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
A few observations on Trinity/Knox. This was a terrifically entertaining game, played end to end, although you might question how high the overall standard was, and the large number of tries reflected the fact that both sides defended willingly but without great structure. The sides traded tries in the first few minutes, before a penalty to Price gave Knox a 10-5 lead. Barkley-Brown squared the scores by scurrying over in the corner, but Knox soon regained the lead and at half-time it was (I think) 18-10 or thereabouts. Trinity needed to score next, and did, with McLean rumbling over from close range. Ebeling converted - 18-17. Knox scored next, to go 25-17 up, but Trinity then scored again through McLean and Corias. The last few minutes were tense and fiercely contested but although Knox scored the try they needed, the conversion that would have won the game was missed. Often during the game Knox refused to take shots at penalty goal that seemed to be within Price's range - I wonder about the wisdom of that.

Best on ground was Paek, the Knox winger, who scored twice and was a constant threat. Knox's two big locks (Boulton, who crashed over for a try, and Blamey) worked hard and Stirzaker directed traffic well. For Trinity, Whicker was in everything, McLean and Satiu were prominent as ever, and Corias had a very good game despite leaving the field in the second half with a gash near his eye. He returned swathed like a mummy to score under the posts from Whicker's signature inside ball.

Trinity had a new 10. Siteine, and the backs stood a long way apart in attack. They seemed unfamiliar with this formation but at least showed some ambition to get width into the attack. The forwards ran onto the ball much harder than in recent weeks.

I'm told the Trinity player (replacement back Saofia) who was injured late in the game has been cleared of serious damage.

Both teams still have a lot to do, but both would take encouragement from the game.

There's someone who uses a variety of pseudonyms to send me vitriolic hate mail every time I mention St Aloysius so I haven't checked the scores there. I assume it panned out as my friend predicted and Barker crashed in the "fortress" of College Oval, outplayed by the team with the bigger hearts. Right?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some random thoughts on CAS selection. If I were a selector, I'd start with Barker's backline and ask whether there's anyone who should displace anyone from it. I'd probably put Paek (K) on one wing (for Elwood-Hall). I'd think long and hard about whether I'd play Smerdon or O'Donnell (W). I'd measure Whicker (T) against Kirkby at 9. But that's about it. You might think about Goodearl (A).

The forwards are harder to figure out. My no-brainer selections would be the front row - McLean (T), Koutsoukis (W) and Satiu (T), plus Williams (A) at lock if he's fit. Everything else is up for grabs. In the back row, I like Burkett (B), Powter (W), Summerhayes (C), Moala (T, if fit) and there are other contenders but no stand-out star like (say) Johnson last year.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some random thoughts on CAS selection. If I were a selector, I'd start with Barker's backline and ask whether there's anyone who should displace anyone from it. I'd probably put Paek (K) on one wing (for Elwood-Hall). I'd think long and hard about whether I'd play Smerdon or O'Donnell (W). I'd measure Whicker (T) against Kirkby at 9. But that's about it. You might think about Goodearl (A).

The forwards are harder to figure out. My no-brainer selections would be the front row - McLean (T), Koutsoukis (W) and Satiu (T), plus Williams (A) at lock if he's fit. Everything else is up for grabs. In the back row, I like Burkett (B), Powter (W), Summerhayes (C), Moala (T, if fit) and there are other contenders but no stand-out star like (say) Johnson last year.
I like your thoughts here, you've clearly got some experience in selecting a side. One point at which I'd disagree with your view is the number 1 jersey. McLean (T) has undoubtedly put his hand up for a representative spot, but I don't think he is guaranteed it (at least not in the first XV). Slack-Smith (B) will be in high competition with him over it. Shame they wont play against each other before CHS selection!

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd think long and hard about whether I'd play Smerdon or O'Donnell (W)... You might think about Goodearl (A).
Also, I think you'd put Smerdon over O'Donnell just because he's had more experience with the majority of the players around him. He's been playing very well this year and is not afraid to take the defence on himself. When considering the outside centre position (Goodearl and Dove) it's a little bit different. Outside centre isn't a playmaker position so familiarity with the players around you doesn't carry as much weight in selection. I think this one is more a case of defence vs attack. Stoltz and Dove are probably the most solid defensive centres in the competition, however, don't really exhibit that much in attack (they have their friends in elwood-hall, jones, and davis to do this). A lot of their job in attack is just crash ball to suck defenders in, or to simply draw a defender and pass to the men outside them (that said, they execute this very well). Goodearl shows flare in attack. His try against Barker was a great individual effort. It's a tough one, but I'd give Goodearl a run and see how he plays in a team of much better players

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rtd, I wouldn't quibble with any of that. Often there are good arguments either way when selectors face these choices. And the fact is that with the replacement rule being what it is, you'd expect (for example) both McLean and Slack-Smith to get a run at some stage. Williams has carried an injury for two weeks now. If he's unfit that seems to leave the second row the greatest uncertainty.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
agree slack smith will be looked at, whether it's replacement rule or he makes the team, I predict a run on at some stage.

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
agree slack smith will be looked at, whether it's replacement rule or he makes the team, I predict a run on at some stage.

I have to agree with you on this one Eshayz. Slacksmith played strongly in the Knox v. Barker encounter, with several crunching tackles and a few devastating runs.

Looking ahead to next weekends fixtures, it should be a great top of the table clash between Barker and Waverly, with both teams coming off big wins. Personally, I think Barker may start to become complacent with the streak of large wins, and am therefore tipping Waverly by 5. Should be a great match.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
A few observations on Trinity/Knox. This was a terrifically entertaining game, played end to end, although you might question how high the overall standard was, and the large number of tries reflected the fact that both sides defended willingly but without great structure. The sides traded tries in the first few minutes, before a penalty to Price gave Knox a 10-5 lead. Barkley-Brown squared the scores by scurrying over in the corner, but Knox soon regained the lead and at half-time it was (I think) 18-10 or thereabouts. Trinity needed to score next, and did, with McLean rumbling over from close range. Ebeling converted - 18-17. Knox scored next, to go 25-17 up, but Trinity then scored again through McLean and Corias. The last few minutes were tense and fiercely contested but although Knox scored the try they needed, the conversion that would have won the game was missed. Often during the game Knox refused to take shots at penalty goal that seemed to be within Price's range - I wonder about the wisdom of that.

Best on ground was Paek, the Knox winger, who scored twice and was a constant threat. Knox's two big locks (Boulton, who crashed over for a try, and Blamey) worked hard and Stirzaker directed traffic well. For Trinity, Whicker was in everything, McLean and Satiu were prominent as ever, and Corias had a very good game despite leaving the field in the second half with a gash near his eye. He returned swathed like a mummy to score under the posts from Whicker's signature inside ball.

Trinity had a new 10. Siteine, and the backs stood a long way apart in attack. They seemed unfamiliar with this formation but at least showed some ambition to get width into the attack. The forwards ran onto the ball much harder than in recent weeks.

I'm told the Trinity player (replacement back Saofia) who was injured late in the game has been cleared of serious damage.

Both teams still have a lot to do, but both would take encouragement from the game.
?

Some of my thoughts. I thought Trinity played a rather basic game, but to their strengths. It was probably their bigger forwards used to effect at close range that won it in the end. This tired the Knox side, but I also think Knox still have fitness issues. As if they were fitter earlier in the season. This probably explains the tendency of them to have injuries. Over the last few years Knox do seem to be a fairly injury laden side. What do they do ineir PE department up there??

Both sides are works in progress, and probably can tale heart from the game. They would probably also be not as cohesive and structured as they would like at this time of the season. Not sure why that is; perhaps injuries.

I liked the 15 from trinity - a good and elusive runner. Their forward pack did what was required with a special mention to the number8. The trinity 9 is a good cheeky half who makes up for any deficiencies in his game with an good intelligent reading of the game. From the result of the seconds depth is probably an issue with Trinity.The Knox winger mentioned is a good winger - good pace and also a gives a great determined effort. His passion, commitment and determination would be a case study for a lot of players.

Words can't describe how much a shambles the Knox line out was - keep it simple guys, it would probably be more effective. effective. I also don't why the Knox 10 wasn't pulled off. He was carrying an injury for most of the game and was a passenger. Not being able to literally walk disrupted both the attack and defence.

It was an entertainig game though. The atmosphere at Knox was a bit down or sterile. Mostly when there is atmosphere is when the crowd from Barker brings it there. Which is a pity as it is a great ground. It was also nice that the Pink day was there.

Good to hear that the injury that stopped the game wasn't that bad as it looked.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree, waverley will be very strong. I think they'll be up at half time and be able to hold barker off from the try line/or be able to match the try's and stay ahead. Waverley by 7

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree, waverley will be very strong. I think they'll be up at half time and be able to hold barker off from the try line/or be able to match the try's and stay ahead. Waverley by 7

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Must also compliment St Aloysius on the ground. The playing surface was superb. A few of the Barker boys said it was the best surface they have played on this year (which includes Knox No1 which does not have a cricket pitch!). The Aloys boys were well presented, well behaved, and cheered their team despite the lopsided results. Interestingly they also played soccer on the same field that day with the soccer firsts playing before rugby 4ths. Personally i hate soccer but Aloys made it work well on the day. Congrats to Aloys on a very well run day.

Status
Not open for further replies.