• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Watched the cranbrook game ... And I must say, very disappointed with the referee. I haven't seen too many female referees , but she ensured that it was very much a stop-start affair. Now to be fair waverley in particular showed a poor ability to stay on their feet at the breakdown. Waverley should have eaten up what i think must have been an injured depleted cranbrook side.

But at the end of the day, poor refereeing marred the game imho. a good ref will talk it up, play advantage, let a game breath, etc Then there was yellow carding of players. Thankfully her poor performance was not the deciding factor in waverley winning, but it sure ruined what might have been a more entertaining game. At the end of the day she looked like she was struggling to keep pace with the game and was constantly getting in the way. Anyway hope she isn't going to be a regular or if she is, she needs to pick up her act massively. Much as I have some interest in seeing waverley give barker a run for their money, based on that perform I'll skip it, and go watch joeys versus kings. Barker will win by 20 plus, based on Saturdays perform.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Some of my thoughts. I thought Trinity played a rather basic game, but to their strengths. It was probably their bigger forwards used to effect at close range that won it in the end.

All good points, Elfster. The small crowds you sometimes see are a shame - whenever I played at Knox, the place was always packed. You just don't get so many of those big crowds any more. Possibly this is partly due to a 10-round competition - back in the day you'd often have only two home games, so people turned up.

Believe it or not, I try not to say things about players that are critical - I mean, it's schoolboy Rugby, and there's nothing to be gained from bagging kids. But the Knox 10 didn't look like a natural ball-player to me. He has a bit of size, and his options weren't too bad, but his movements looked stiff, slow and mechanical - there was no clean, quick catch-and-pass. I didn't think he played poorly, he just didn't look a natural 10.

Agree that Barkley-Brown played well. He's elusive all right. Kotobalavu also did well, I thought, although there was one mystifying passage of play when he was penalised for what looked to me to be a perfectly fair (but very hard) tackle, and then took out a player (very unfairly) off the ball, only to escape without penalty.

Knox did seem to have a lot of injuries in the second half - whether these were fitness-related, I couldn't say.

By the way, Knox were without Van Zyl and Trinity without Moala, so each back row was understrength.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
W
Possible CAS 1st XV, keep in mind i do not have much knowledge about Knox players
1. Satiu (T)
2. Koutsoukis (W)
3. Slack Smith (B), Horton Patch (C), Mclean (T)
4. Williams (A)
5. Borkowski (C), Heeny (W), don't know many other good 2nd rowers, feel free to fill me in
6. Story (T), Burkett (B),
7. Summerhayes (C), O' Connor (W), Pierce (K)
8. Moala (T), Summerhayes (C), Powter (W),
9. Stirzaker (K), McDougall (C), Whicker (T)
10. O' Donnell (W)
11. Paek (K)
12. Stoltz (B)
13. Goodearl (A), Kotabalavu (T),
14. Davis (B), Delorenzo (C), Vevers (A)
15. Jones (B)

Just my opinion based on what i have seen or heard. Open to any criticisms or thoughts on who else should be there.
Wylie as an option for 13, notable impacts with every touch and v strong tackler

rugbyfiend123

Frank Row (1)
W
Wylie as an option for 13, notable impacts with every touch and v strong tackler
Is Wylie the 13 for cranbrook? I watched him play in both the aloys and waverley game and must say i was very impressed, almost always breaks first up tackles and very strong in defense, could be a possible CAS 2's player?

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
That my friends, has all the hallmarks off a coach letting the boys direct traffic in the first half and then "adjusting" team tactics at the break.
Browsing the Schools' rugby site, the recent success of that coach, Moloney (of Barker), has been acknowledged by awarding him the asst. coaching position of both this years NSW 1's and Aust. A! Congrats.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think everyone knows what game to be watching this week. There will be some serious fight from Waverley as they are away and would be viewed as I think "the underdogs" of the round.
I predicted waves by 7 earlier.
what does everyone else think?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think everyone knows what game to be watching this week. There will be some serious fight from Waverley as they are away and would be viewed as I think "the underdogs" of the round.
Barker by 12

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)

As I stated before Eshayz, I think Waves have the advantage up-front, and will manage to get up over Barker this weekend.
Waves by 5 is my prediction.
Definately a game to watch.

therugman

Frank Row (1)
Im relatively new to the cas competition, but have watched the Waverley v trinity game round 1, Cranbrook v barker round 2 and trinity vs knox last weekend. In my opinion I think this weekends match barker vs Waverley will be an absolute cracker! Waverley v trinity in the first round was a good game of tough schoolboy rugby. the boys from Waverley blew trinity off the park in all aspects of the game, they were a very well structured team with great fitness and school pride. their number 10 Benjamin odonneld played a blinder of a game, he played with great patience and leadership and lead his team to a good win. another player that caught my eye through out the match was the number 1 Matthew Hopper? (excuse my ignorance, not very good with names) as a prop he made some great ball runs and is brilliant in the ruck as he is a big strong boy, but I noticed he kept his options open standing out wide and making some great runs bouncing and spinning off players like a winger, all round brilliant team performance. barker vs Cranbrook was a one sided affair with barker dominating Cranbrook the whole game, barkers 15 jones is by far the pick of the fullbacks in the cas and is a brilliant player. Jones, the 14 and the 12 all played good games and ran straight through the Cranbrook backline without trouble. I think Saturdays game will be a close one with both teams coming out of the blocks flying, 21-14 to barker at half time. Waverley will come out the 2nd half ready to go and score 2 quick trys to put them up, barker will track them down in the end due to the home ground advantage and the big red crowd and win the match 33-28.

my CAS team:
1Satiu (T)
2Nick Koutsoukis (w)
3Hooper (W) (if he can play loose head, if not put him in number 4) Slack Smith (B)
4Williams (A)
5Heeney (W)
6Burket (B)
7Summerhayed (C)
8Powter(W)
9Whicker(T)
10O'donneld (W)
11Paek(K)
12Stolz(B)
13Goodearl (A)
14Davis(B)
15Jones(B)

definitely use the barker back and Waverley forwards more effeiciently, could give gps a run for the wasted money.

casrugby12

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree w
Im relatively new to the cas competition, but have watched the Waverley v trinity game round 1, Cranbrook v barker round 2 and trinity vs knox last weekend. In my opinion I think this weekends match barker vs Waverley will be an absolute cracker! Waverley v trinity in the first round was a good game of tough schoolboy rugby. the boys from Waverley blew trinity off the park in all aspects of the game, they were a very well structured team with great fitness and school pride. their number 10 Benjamin odonneld played a blinder of a game, he played with great patience and leadership and lead his team to a good win. another player that caught my eye through out the match was the number 1 Matthew Hopper? (excuse my ignorance, not very good with names) as a prop he made some great ball runs and is brilliant in the ruck as he is a big strong boy, but I noticed he kept his options open standing out wide and making some great runs bouncing and spinning off players like a winger, all round brilliant team performance. barker vs Cranbrook was a one sided affair with barker dominating Cranbrook the whole game, barkers 15 jones is by far the pick of the fullbacks in the cas and is a brilliant player. Jones, the 14 and the 12 all played good games and ran straight through the Cranbrook backline without trouble. I think Saturdays game will be a close one with both teams coming out of the blocks flying, 21-14 to barker at half time. Waverley will come out the 2nd half ready to go and score 2 quick trys to put them up, barker will track them down in the end due to the home ground advantage and the big red crowd and win the match 33-28.

my CAS team:
1Satiu (T)
2Nick Koutsoukis (w)
3Hooper (W) (if he can play loose head, if not put him in number 4) Slack Smith (B)
4Williams (A)
5Heeney (W)
6Burket (B)
7Summerhayed (C)
8Powter(W)
9Whicker(T)
10O'donneld (W)
11Paek(K)
12Stolz(B)
13Goodearl (A)
14Davis(B)
15Jones(B)

definitely use the barker back and Waverley forwards more effeiciently, could give gps a run for the wasted money.
i agree. Also seeing Barkley brown on the weekend I think he has a chance on the wing I also think ebeling as well.

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
my CAS team:
1Satiu (T)
2Nick Koutsoukis (w)
4Williams (A)
5Heeney (W)
6Burket (B)
7Summerhayed (C)
8Powter(W)
9Whicker(T)
10O'donneld (W)
11Paek(K)
12Stolz(B)
13Goodearl (A)
14Davis(B)
15Jones(B)

Interesting. I am keen to see the front row match up between Slacksmith (B) v Hooper (W) and Koutsoukis(W) v Landry(B) this weekend.

I was also impressed by Ebeling, hopefully more good things to come.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is Wylie the 13 for cranbrook? I watched him play in both the aloys and waverley game and must say i was very impressed, almost always breaks first up tackles and very strong in defense, could be a possible CAS 2's player?
Yes Cranbrook 13, definitely someone to watch, love to see him with some more possession he's a weapon.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
Barker Vs Waverley

Yes Waverley are strong this season, but Barker is stronger. I think some of you guys truly underestimate Barker or are out to get them. They have let in 18 points in 3 games, 3 points of which were Knox's, who many of you tipped to take out the competition. They have scored 134, which is quite a lot more than any other team. Barker have some superstar players, but they work as a complete team. Their defence is outstanding and their backline is something CAS hasn't seen for a while. I'm not anti-Waverley, and i do believe that they will push Barker but it won't be enough. It's very hard to look past them. As you can see from the previous 3 games, Barker just destroys the opponent in the second half. Unless Waverley has pristine aerobic fitness, it will be hard to overcome Barker, especially at Barker's no. 1 oval. Barker by a fair margin, mainly due to the overpowering in the second half.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Barker Vs Waverley

Yes Waverley are strong this season, but Barker is stronger. I think some of you guys truly underestimate Barker or are out to get them. They have let in 18 points in 3 games, 3 points of which were Knox's, who many of you tipped to take out the competition. They have scored 134, which is quite a lot more than any other team. Barker have some superstar players, but they work as a complete team. Their defence is outstanding and their backline is something CAS hasn't seen for a while. I'm not anti-Waverley, and i do believe that they will push Barker but it won't be enough. It's very hard to look past them. As you can see from the previous 3 games, Barker just destroys the opponent in the second half. Unless Waverley has pristine aerobic fitness, it will be hard to overcome Barker, especially at Barker's no. 1 oval. Barker by a fair margin, mainly due to the overpowering in the second half.
Who is in this Barker back line - is Harry Jones playing and in what position?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker are slightly bigger, fitter, faster than Waverley with their backs hitting the line very hard. The team plays with cohesion, structure and pace.
Barker have scored well in all games and been miserly in defence. Waverley have some fine attack and good defence but are just a notch below.
Forwards will be pretty even but the difference will be in the backs especially Barker's 12.
Barker by 15 (5 tries to 2)!

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Looks like the weather could be a big factor for the Barker Waverley clash. Forecast is heavy rain for Thursday & Friday with showers for Saturday. Barker oval cricket pitch area turns into a heavy bog pretty easily. Comments so far seem to give Waverley the edge in the forwards and Barker in the backs. If the teams are slogging it out in the mud ,i.e. a forwards battle, then Waverley may be able to stay with Barker. But then again i haven't seen Waverley yet this season. However I do remember last year when they came up to Hornsby towards the end of the season to face an unbeaten Barker side and came away with a draw. Barker back line is the best i have ever seen in CAS rugby so for a prediction i can't do any better than smokinjoe

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Barkers 15 and 14 are simply too big and strong. Waverley should be hoping for a mud-bat

Waverley would want to be trying to disrupt the ball to the backs

but Waverley is playing will all heart and not great technique

if you gave that team to Br Anthony Boyd ... reckon they'd be half a chance

plus Waves has a weak 2nds ... so no depth

reckon there will be 20 points in ... and shame Joeys isn't playing Barker this year :(

Status
Not open for further replies.