• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any chance someone could post a Trinity team list for this saturday? I heard there have been some injuries this season...

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Barker are slightly bigger, fitter, faster than Waverley with their backs hitting the line very hard. The team plays with cohesion, structure and pace.
Barker have scored well in all games and been miserly in defence. Waverley have some fine attack and good defence but are just a notch below.
Forwards will be pretty even but the difference will be in the backs especially Barker's 12.
Barker by 15 (5 tries to 2)!
Who is the Barker 12?

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
From what I have seen has more speed this year was always strong also 3rd year is 1XV played at 10 then moved to 12 last year

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stoltz is very good, has played 3 years and shows great leadership in the Backs. He would be what od call the backbone of how they run, and I think barker will benefit from having himself and Smerdon play together for two years.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm a retired tipster, so no predictions are offered, but all the matches this weekend look really interesting since each game is between teams who are adjacent on the ladder (bear in mind that points differential is used to separate teams who have an equal number of points). The clash of the round, of course, is first against second, Barker hosting Waverley. Things to look out for here - what tactics can Waverley devise to neutralise Barker's potent backline? Can O'Donnell throw out a strong challenge to Smerdon for the CAS 1sts fly-half spot? Will any of the tight forwards put up their hands for a representative spot? Can Waverley match Barker's fitness and play the game at the same pace as their hosts? Well worth a visit if you live up north.

Trinity (4th) is at home to Cranbrook (3rd). Trinity went down to Waverley by 18 points, and Cranbrook by 19 last week, an admittedly crude measure which suggests that the two sides are fairly evenly-matched. A lot depends on who takes the field for Trinity - I'm not sure, for example, when Moala and Storey will be back. I'd expect a fiercely-contested game. When Cranbrook plays Trinity, both teams believe that they ought to win. From what I've seen this year, Trinity probably has the edge up front, while Cranbrook may have the more effective back line.

St Aloysius (5th) take on winless Knox (6th). It's becoming clear that in my season preview I misjudged Knox, based on their strong form in the trials. Still, I don't think they are playing badly - they will probably feel that they ought to have won last week. St Aloysius beat Knox twice last year and will approach the game with more confidence than one would usually expect from a team that leaked 60 points last Staurday. One issue that concerns me is the fitness of Harrison Williams. He's a terrific player, and his presence is obviously important to St Aloysius, but he seems to have played the last two weeks carrying an injury that has a serious impact on his contribution. I don't know what that injury is, and people who are better informed than I am are no doubt managing the situation, but I do hope he isn't risking worse damage by playing when he isn't fully fit.

An aside - this week I saw the proofs of the Trinity Centenary Rugby history which is being released (I think) on 1 June, the day of the Barker game. Trinity hasn't been the production line of talent that some other schools have been (it can claim only two or four Wallabies, depending on how you count, and half a dozen other Waratahs), but still, for people who are interested in school Rugby, it could be a worthwhile read. I assume that the school will have information about when and where it will be available.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I'm a retired tipster, so no predictions are offered, but all the matches this weekend look really interesting since each game is between teams who are adjacent on the ladder (bear in mind that points differential is used to separate teams who have an equal number of points). The clash of the round, of course, is first against second, Barker hosting Waverley. Things to look out for here - what tactics can Waverley devise to neutralise Barker's potent backline? Can O'Donnell throw out a strong challenge to Smerdon for the CAS 1sts fly-half spot? Will any of the tight forwards put up their hands for a representative spot? Can Waverley match Barker's fitness and play the game at the same pace as their hosts? Well worth a visit if you live up north.

Trinity (4th) is at home to Cranbrook (3rd). Trinity went down to Waverley by 18 points, and Cranbrook by 19 last week, an admittedly crude measure which suggests that the two sides are fairly evenly-matched. A lot depends on who takes the field for Trinity - I'm not sure, for example, when Moala and Storey will be back. I'd expect a fiercely-contested game. When Cranbrook plays Trinity, both teams believe that they ought to win. From what I've seen this year, Trinity probably has the edge up front, while Cranbrook may have the more effective back line.

St Aloysius (5th) take on winless Knox (6th). It's becoming clear that in my season preview I misjudged Knox, based on their strong form in the trials. Still, I don't think they are playing badly - they will probably feel that they ought to have won last week. St Aloysius beat Knox twice last year and will approach the game with more confidence than one would usually expect from a team that leaked 60 points last Staurday. One issue that concerns me is the fitness of Harrison Williams. He's a terrific player, and his presence is obviously important to St Aloysius, but he seems to have played the last two weeks carrying an injury that has a serious impact on his contribution. I don't know what that injury is, and people who are better informed than I am are no doubt managing the situation, but I do hope he isn't risking worse damage by playing when he isn't fully fit.

An aside - this week I saw the proofs of the Trinity Centenary Rugby history which is being released (I think) on 1 June, the day of the Barker game. Trinity hasn't been the production line of talent that some other schools have been (it can claim only two or four Wallabies, depending on how you count, and half a dozen other Waratahs), but still, for people who are interested in school Rugby, it could be a worthwhile read. I assume that the school will have information about when and where it will be available.
Trinity has 3 playing super 15 this year ,other than Waratahs.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity has 3 playing super 15 this year ,other than Waratahs.

Yes - Sio, Auelua and Sidey, with Pat Sio in the Australian Under-20s. It's not bad. I guess my point was that a school like (say) King's usually has a bunch of Waratahs and a Wallaby or two at any one time.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Goodearl has had a great season, often being the one with leadership for the team. If he is out then I would almost go as far as to say Aloys is going to struggle until he returns. Lets hope it's only a week!

If the top of the table clash this weekend becomes a smashing. CAS could be in my opinion (this season) a but un interesting. unless there is a good battle for second place or last!!

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)

Aloysius have no depth - the coaches are pressuring him to play based on his replacement being literally 1/3 of his size. No depth despite all these boys being 3 years into their gym programs now - they should hire some staff who do this professionally not teachers who are washed up ex-athletes - with no time to generate the results required

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Goodearl has had a great season, often being the one with leadership for the team. If he is out then I would almost go as far as to say Aloys is going to struggle until he returns. Lets hope it's only a week!

If the top of the table clash this weekend becomes a smashing. CAS could be in my opinion (this season) a but un interesting. unless there is a good battle for second place or last!!

I hope for their sake he isnt gone - with Williams unable to play 100% they will get destroyed

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)

It's all currently barker and Waverley at the moment anyway. When you look at the table there is already a 4 point gap between 2nd and 3rd after only 3 games. So it seems that the teams from 3-6 are very evenly matched, however, the top 2 are in an entirely different class. Youll probably find that the greatest battle will be the battle for 3rd... I think it's pretty safe to say 1st and 2nd will almost certainly go to barker and Waverley at this stage. There may be a battle for first spot, but you're going to have to wait until mid/late July for the action (after Saturdays game). In the meantime prepare yourself for a few more cricket scores.

I'm only 50% reliable given my history so far this season with predictions but here's my (completely fallible) thoughts for this weeks fixtures - lets call them 'guesses' from now on to be more accurate.
Barker will trump Waverley in a close game. Even if the game is a washout and favours the forwards, a major factor in wet games is set pieces... Something barker has dominated in over recent years

Trinity will dismiss the injury ridden cranbrook side having found some form against Knox

The last one was a tough decision. Statistically, Knox would lose. But Knox have never been known to lay down and give up. I'm going to guess Knox given aloys injuries and sheerly because they are the better side

Status
Not open for further replies.