• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Kill joy ??
I have watched Barker games for many years and quite enjoy the boys singing from the sidelines at the start of the next game.
They gather in close proximity to where they have cheered on the following team (not always under the goal posts)
Their "singing" is as an inspirational boast for the next team, good team camaraderie, and certainly not confrontational.
I think it's great. I would like to see every school do something.
Come on. Singing a song to support your team is great.
But they always go to the end facing the visiting team even if they have to walk a down to the far end away from the tunnel and they always do it after the game has started! It's meant to be confrontational.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
But they always go to the end facing the visiting team even if they have to walk a down to the far end away from the tunnel and they always do it after the game has started! It's meant to be confrontational.

"But they always go to the end facing the visiting team"
Who are they ??
Barker don't, Knox don't.
I know Barker try to do their chant as the ball is kicked-off. It lasts for 20 seconds and then the chanters disperse to the bench, sidelines and grand stands.
As for the confrontation. Are you serious or is this a gee-up ??
Never seen any harm come from a school rugby song or chant.
EPL - yes (That's English Premier League), school sports - No.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)

Hahahaha it's traditionally done when the ball is kicked off because the whole point is to start the game on a high, with a rush of blood. When they do it at home they usually do it behind the posts nearest to the grandstand because that's where they are closest to the crowd/change rooms/most audible to players on the field/nearest to where their coach meets them for the post game talk. In my 10+ years of attending games I've seen it done from the other end of the pitch once and once from the sideline. For the former I'm pretty sure it was because the game ended with a kick at goal at that end of the field and they probably couldn't be stuffed to get all the way to the other side of the pitch before the game after them started... for the latter it was because they all walked off the field to get their drink bottles and the game after was just about to start so they had to make do with the sideline. Whenever I did it (a long time ago now) we never purposely faced our opposition or thought it to be confrontational. Quite the opposite actually, we thought of it as supporting our school. I have a vivid memory of our coach reminding us to do it when we had played a very physical game. He said "I know you boys can barely stand but if you don't go up and sing that song you're sending the boys on the pitch a bad message"

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Smokin Joe....

I personally invite you to watch this video. Not at all to support barker, but merely to support my argument. Schoolboy rugby needs more support and atmosphere. If you think (not saying you do, but it's what it seems to be coming across as) that "schools" I think everyone here is talking about barker, do chants to put the other team off, I'd say that you're wrong. If anything it'd be for support for their team/peers/school. and this would be what I suggest is the reason. - I personally think this video is great, well done to barker for making it.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
To any Knox supporters, do you happen to know the result of their Waratah Shield match against Illawarra Sports. I am assuming they would have won, but recent form?? Could someone enlighten me with a score?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ I think Knox forfeited their Waratah Shield match last year to Marist ACt last year. It often seems like a good idea at the time that they enter the competition, but the time limitations for games to be completed under Waratah Shield deadlines seems to end up with the CAS schools not being able to find a slot to play the game.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear that this game will similarly be forfeited by Knox,

The Waratah Shield organisers need to look at the timing of their competition to retain relevance.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
^^^^ I think Knox forfeited their Waratah Shield match last year to Marist ACt last year. It often seems like a good idea at the time that they enter the competition, but the time limitations for games to be completed under Waratah Shield deadlines seems to end up with the CAS schools not being able to find a slot to play the game.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear that this game will similarly be forfeited by Knox,

The Waratah Shield organisers need to look at the timing of their competition to retain relevance.

Or why do the CAS teams have to enter the competition at all.
Other than Knox, and possibly Trinity, who enters.
Who cares?? (from a CAS perspective) ??
CAS schools only remember who wins the CAS.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Or why do the CAS teams have to enter the competition at all.
Other than Knox, and possibly Trinity, who enters.
Who cares?? (from a CAS perspective) ??
CAS schools only remember who wins the CAS.

Understandable, but am I correct in saying that the 2012 Oakhill 1st XV defeated Barker the eventual CAS champions as well as Knox and various CAS schools (forget who they beat), and Oakhill didn't even win. I'm sure the CAS would find the competition competitive and possibly even struggling had they come up against the likes of St Audustines. Only Waverely have played Auggies and the result was the worst Waverley has suffered this year, and they are running into round 4 undefeated.

It may have more merit than you think. I have a great deal of credit for the private schools who actively participate on this competition, which only seems to be the ISA schools.

Based on this years results I'm sure the CAS representative of Knox wouldn't come close to winnning.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
^agree.

However like anything, as soon as standards lift at a consistant rate then teams will need to adjust and lift their games.
So I personally don't see much point in CAS trying these games as a one off trial match. I think they should do it more often, thus, hopefully lifting all teams standards, an intensity.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
my "agree" was not in regard to wallabies. it was to "hbhrugby" - just before someone gets too confused.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Barkers 15 and 14 are simply too big and strong. Waverley should be hoping for a mud-bat

Waverley would want to be trying to disrupt the ball to the backs

but Waverley is playing will all heart and not great technique

if you gave that team to Br Anthony Boyd . reckon they'd be half a chance

plus Waves has a weak 2nds . so no depth

reckon there will be 20 points in . and shame Joeys isn't playing Barker this year :(

Waverley 2nds weakness maybe attributed to something other than the players??
Maybe a new coaching panel required.
1st XV forward pack not big but tough as teak and will not lie down as proven over the previous 3 weeks.

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Matt Williams to take over as Wallabies head coach by the end of the Lions series.

Watch this space.

Matt Williams is a good guys, but his track record, with very talented rosters is terrible. I think the Knox hierarchy have piad way too much for someone without a winning past. I guess he is lucky that he is valued in this way. Good coin for a 4th grade Wests player

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Knox 34 - Aloys 21
5 tries to 2.
Entertaining with Aloys in it for the most part. An extended report later. Comfortable victory to Knox in the seconds

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Trinity 33 Cranbrook 8. Five tries to one. Injury-depleted Cranbrook were never in it.
Yep, green far too physical, no.15 played with plenty of speed and the big winger too hard to stop. Trinity skipper and half was outstanding, the green did slacken off in the second half but Cranbrook having lost 5 players during the game could not get back into it.

Seconds a very easy win to Cranbrook, marred by some very unsportsmanlike conduct from the green No.1 and 10, who were pull by the coach and didn't even shake hands at the end. Something not right with that scenario being condoned by the school with no apparent action.

Status
Not open for further replies.