• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Tenacity, Discipline, Commitment and taking opportunities

The above are some ideas that will should have been drilled into some teams this week. On paper, at least two of the games this week should easy wins. But I think there should be some close, entertaining and interesting games.

The obvious highlight would be Trinity vs Barker. This will be a game of two different styles. Open and attacking by Barker. Close range bludgeoning by Trinity. For Trinity to win this they will need to be very disciplined. Keep to their strengths, take opportunities and play the game in a narrow, territory driven manner. Accept that Barker will score points but keep the game simple and hard and attempt to grind the game down. For Barker, as well as their obvious back line strengths and more than competent forwards I see fitness being one of their strengths. Run the bigger Trinity forwards off their feet. When in their own territory, long kicks down the field into space with lots of chasers. Break up Trinity and isolate them.

I imagine Barker will win with the final score probably not indicative of an initial close game with Barker pulling away easily at the end.

With Waverley vs Aloys I see Aloys getting a bit of a dust up unfortunately. I am uncertain of what team they will put together with injuries, but I imagine Aloys will struggle with Waverley’s forwards. The backs will be more than matched, but the lack of depth for Aloys will be apparent. I think Aloys are looking for a break to regather and get their top team back on the field. I can see a few tries being scored though, with Aloys potentially putting on some good long distance tries. Waverley will need to be disciplined and not complacent. And sides do seem to be on a low the week after playing Barker, but in this case I can’t see Aloys beating Waverley.

Knox vs Cranbrook. Again it is dependent on what sides turn up. Are Cranbrook over their injury issues? Do Knox get all their players back? This game would probably see Cranbrook thinking they have a good shot against Knox. It is time for their 16’s from last year to show their potential. Knox, on top of their injury list also seem to be playing in a listless and disorganised manner in the competition. However they have started getting better and the victory last week should help. Plus their depth. If Knox play in a disciplined and methodical manner they should get away with this. And if their defence finally clicks like their attack has in the last couple of weeks their for-and-against should be looking far more favourable late Saturday afternoon.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Matt Williams bashing here puzzles me. Surely he can only be judged on his impact on the whole Knox Rugby programme over a decent period of time? I'm no particular fan of his, but some of the comments aimed at him here are simply unfair.

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Thanks YR, are these teams usually picked on form more so than reputation? Good luck to all the boys in contention[/quote

Mostly form. However, it would be unrealistic to think that reputation wouldn't come into calculations. But seeming CAS selectors attend every game you'd think most would be picked on form.

I agree with comments regarding Slack-Smith and Smerdon being close to 1st XV. Both played in Barker's winning side last year and are having huge seasons currently.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeh it often gets delayed or sometimes there is so many people loggin on to have a look that the server is slow

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
If his reputation were on the line, he would not be coaching schools rugby..

That is a long, long fall from National Coach - His reputation was pretty much parked after his performance with Scotland.

People will coach anywhere for the right money (or possibly in this case - obscene amounts of money)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nobody is putting their hands up to contribute to a CAS blog week by week for this weekend.

I will ask some of you directly during next week for the following weekend.

Rebel

Frank Row (1)
This highlight video is pretty bad doesn't show much or anything that happened in that game

I'd suggest it's not meant as a "highlights" video, just some moments taken from various vantage points available and edited nicely to the music. I agree the coaches won't be using for review purposes ...

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Any thoughts on front row selections in particular ? I have seen 4 of the 6 schools play, and I'm yet to identify a stand out ball running threat - although i here satiu is coming back from injury. In fact the only Prop that I've seen making serious metres is the Aloys front rower Booth - although i have only seen him play once. From my perspective, the front row is the most in the air, with Satiu, Booth, Mclean, Slack Smith and Koutsousis being the only 5 i would note as contenders for 6 starting spots... could be a few surprises

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Nobody is putting their hands up to contribute to a CAS blog week by week for this weekend.

I will ask some of you directly during next week for the following weekend.
Lee,

I will try to get to the Knox/ Cranbrook game and will write up a report. I can't promise anything, but hopefully I will have something to show.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any thoughts on front row selections in particular ? I have seen 4 of the 6 schools play, and I'm yet to identify a stand out ball running threat - although i here satiu is coming back from injury. In fact the only Prop that I've seen making serious metres is the Aloys front rower Booth - although i have only seen him play once. From my perspective, the front row is the most in the air, with Satiu, Booth, Mclean, Slack Smith and Koutsousis being the only 5 i would note as contenders for 6 starting spots. could be a few surprises

Based on what I saw at Barker last week no Barker front row should be considered. Having the Waverley front row put Barker in the air does not inspire confidence.
CAS 1st front row should be
1 Hooper (Waverley)
2 Koutsoukis (Waverley)
3 Satiu (Trinity)

JstWaiting4amate

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any thoughts on front row selections in particular ? I have seen 4 of the 6 schools play, and I'm yet to identify a stand out ball running threat - although i here satiu is coming back from injury. In fact the only Prop that I've seen making serious metres is the Aloys front rower Booth - although i have only seen him play once. From my perspective, the front row is the most in the air, with Satiu, Booth, Mclean, Slack Smith and Koutsousis being the only 5 i would note as contenders for 6 starting spots. could be a few surprises

Funny you say that , because against trinity not once did he run with the Ball , and McLean ran over him a few times. A front rower must also do his job as a Prop , and the scrums I saw Satiu was all over him.
I agree with Old schooled , Hooper has a great running game and has a solid scrum on him.
Toss between McLean and Hooper for #1 CAS.

Good luck to all the Boys with the selections tomorrow and all the best for the Games ! Play Hard play Fair.

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Based on what I saw at Barker last week no Barker front row should be considered. Having the Waverley front row put Barker in the air does not inspire confidence.
CAS 1st front row should be
1 Hooper (Waverley)
2 Koutsoukis (Waverley)
3 Satiu (Trinity)

It will be a shock if Slack-Smith doesn't make CAS 1st XV, let alone 2nd XV.

Status
Not open for further replies.