• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
After looking at both the CAS and GPS teams for the forthcoming trial, I can't help but predict a fairly one-sided game in the firsts. Yes, the CAS team will have chemistry (especially in the backline) and some notable individuals, but the sheer size and class of the GPS team is something to be marveled at. From my own observations, the only CAS back that would make the GPS team would be H. Jones, who would be relegated to a wing position. It is a similar story in the forwards, GPS are by far a more classy outfit. Realistically, the Barker team would struggle to string wins together in the GPS competition, never mind a win against the best combined XV of the GPS schools.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Realistically, the Barker team would struggle to string wins together in the GPS competition, never mind a win against the best combined XV of the GPS schools.

i dont disagree with you but I think the only reason the barker team would struggle to string wins is not because of their backline but because of a weakness in the forwards (in comparison to GPS schools)... So, given that the CAS forward pack is predominantly other schools, I think you'll find CAS v GPS will probably end up the same as it usually does year in year out - a close contest in the first 15 minutes and then GPS dominating. The main point is that GPS probably won't dominate in the backs, but rather, in the forwards.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But crowd behaviour, albeit the falling standards of crowd behaviour is part of the game unfortunately. Forget that we are talking about schoolboys here - if you can't go and support your team, take your children without being subjected to foul language and poor sportsmanship then what is the point. Yr censorship Cyclopath has the same result as removing offended visitors from a stand - issue is totally glossed over and boys we are responsible for educating are allowed to continue with their boorish behaviour.
It's hearsay.
One poster says it happened, another says it did not. There are clearly people with axes to grind about various schools, and propagating those arguments here is pointless. This inter-school crap has been going on for decades.
This forum is to talk about the on-field stuff.

Propigate

Frank Row (1)
H
It's hearsay.
One poster says it happened, another says it did not. There are clearly people with axes to grind about various schools, and propagating those arguments here is pointless. This inter-school crap has been going on for decades.
Cyclopath I'm walking away - cant fight the censors! Think you are missing the big point completely and hopefully when enough people speak up the issue might be addressed. I've no axe to grind with any school and I'm all for inter school rivalry and healthy competition - and I've been involved in schoolboy rugby long enough to recognise the difference. What I posted abt was something not positive within schoolboy rugby - but hey, back to 'the game'.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
It's hearsay.
I think a lot of the things on this forum are hearsay, including the quality of rugby - for instance, look at the votes for the 'school most likely to win cas' - before the season started the favourite was Knox followed by Trinity... Now in terms of crowd behaviour, I agree, it's not something that should be focused on in this forum but it's a part of the events that did occur. It shouldn't be neglected from ones stated observations altogether, as it allows for things to be clarified (a Knox supporter claimed that these cheers were out of shock rather than an attempt to degrade the individual who was concussed. if this is true, the Waverley supporter now sees the events in a new light - everyones happy). Things need to be monitored, but not to the extent that people are confined to what they can and can't say.

Propigate

Frank Row (1)
After looking at both the CAS and GPS teams for the forthcoming trial, I can't help but predict a fairly one-sided game in the firsts. Yes, the CAS team will have chemistry (especially in the backline) and some notable individuals, but the sheer size and class of the GPS team is something to be marveled at. From my own observations, the only CAS back that would make the GPS team would be H. Jones, who would be relegated to a wing position. It is a similar story in the forwards, GPS are by far a more classy outfit. Realistically, the Barker team would struggle to string wins together in the GPS competition, never mind a win against the best combined XV of the GPS schools.
You would have to be surprised if the result was any other way surely. Given the GPS's investment in players through scholarships and training facilities you would have to review this investment in the event of a loss? That's a discussion for another thread though - don't wish to be censored again today!
As for Barker not competing in a GPS comp you are probably correct. We will never know however because GPS is a closed book. And whenever another school association does play and beat a GPS school there are immediate cries of 'just a trial ' 'not our full strength team' :)
Good luck to all the boys playing against GPS on Tues! Underdogs is a great position to be in and on the few occasions CAS has changed the status quo, victory has been all the more sweet for it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
H
Cyclopath I'm walking away - cant fight the censors! Think you are missing the big point completely and hopefully when enough people speak up the issue might be addressed. I've no axe to grind with any school and I'm all for inter school rivalry and healthy competition - and I've been involved in schoolboy rugby long enough to recognise the difference. What I posted abt was something not positive within schoolboy rugby - but hey, back to 'the game'.
I didn't say you had an axe to grind, but there have been many instances on this forum where people do. If anyone has a problem with behaviour at a game, they ought to raise it formally with that school.
I have it on good authority that the incident yesterday was quite different to that which was posted here, from someone I've known for years, and who is not prone to hyperbole. Where does the truth lie? Probably in between. Ultimately, posting allegations about what someone in the crowd said or did aids nothing.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I will post a more complete view of the match later, but one surprising aspect about peoples' comments about the Knox crowd behaviour was that they were using the plural. It was one of the smallest crowds I have seen there for some time. The Knox crowd had almost less people than the reserves bench! I thought viewing was compulsory for certain years, but perhaps they can get away with that these days, as the powers that be up at Knox don't care about those traditions anymore.

I must say a cheer did go up initially when the Knox player made his run and flattened the Waverley guy. The normal reaction from a big hit, and it was acknowledged by the crowd and from supporters of both sides. (Also it was a surprising run as it was done by one of the smaller players on the field!) That diminished when the severity of the impact became apparent. And regardless of what may have gone on in the stands I thought it was a nice touch that one of the Knox wingers did show some concern to the Waverley player. That should of behaviour should be lauded, more so than other unwarranted, immature and malicious idiocy.

Propigate

Frank Row (1)
I didn't say you had an axe to grind, but there have been many instances on this forum where people do. If anyone has a problem with behaviour at a game, they ought to raise it formally with that school.
I have it on good authority that the incident yesterday was quite different to that which was posted here, from someone I've known for years, and who is not prone to hyperbole. Where does the truth lie? Probably in between. Ultimately, posting allegations about what someone in the crowd said or did aids nothing.
Fair enough Cyclopath - and yes I will be taking it up with the school directly and will be very interested in their response. Enough now - this is going nowhere. An unemotional discussion about the standards we should expect from our schoolboy spectators would be interesting though - given incidents that happen in two games this weekend. Is there a CAS code of behaviour? Another thread perhaps?

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I thought viewing was compulsory for certain years, but perhaps they can get away with that these days, as the powers that be up at Knox don't care about those traditions anymore.
Yes it's unfortunate to see given the atmosphere that used to be such a great part of CAS schoolboy rugby. Barker has also changed their rule of compulsory home game attendance (which may be sensible for senior years given the overwhelmingly large number of students at the school these days). However, I would have thought that perhaps anywhere below year 10 should still be required to attend - it's sensible, provides a good atmosphere, and encourages the younger kids to develop a healthy passion for the sport

cas1983

Frank Row (1)
To clarify, Knox 6 Fraser Bleach was to blame for the incident with Waverly 7. It was an explosive run although it was a shame the 7 sustained injury ( definite concussion?). I feel the refereeing was fair on both sides regarding the try saving tackle by Stirzaker. In all the game was enjoyable to watch as Knox did put in a stern effort in the second half as Waverly switched off.

farr-jones fan

Frank Row (1)
2013 Representative season
Open CAS team to play GPS on Tuesday 18th June @ Knox 1 ( as of 16th June – 6.25pm )
1st XV – J McLean ( T ), N Koutsoukis ( W ), F Satui ( T ), B Heeney ( W ), L Akopian ( B ), N Burkett ( B ), B Van Zyl ( K ), R Powter ( W ), S Kirkby ( B ), D Smerdon ( B ), T Davis ( B ), D Stoltz ( B ), C Dove ( B ), E Ellwood-Hall ( B ), H Jones ( B ).
2nd XV – M Hooper ( W ), C Landry ( B ), P Cullen ( C ), H Middlebrook ( B ), P Kava ( W ), G Corias ( T ), H Summerhayes ( C ), T Hanson ( B ), B Whicker ( T ), B O’Donnell ( W ), J Paek ( K ), H Newby ( K ), J Bassett ( W ), R Barkley-Brown ( T ). Res - J Slack-Smith ( B ), J Horton-Patch ( C ), P Goodman ( K ), A Boulton ( K ), J Harvey ( C ), A MacDougall ( C ), C Ebeling ( T ) O Nelson ( C )

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting hearing the knox v waverley stuff ... Seems like no " love lost there" ... My only real question is how are refs selected for 1st xv fixtures, both in cas and gps, as seems like unhappiness with several weekend fixtures .... And wonder how it all works.

Either way , feel for schoolboy refs ... They really cop a lot ... And always going to be those situations where things happen so quickly

I know one of my sons, (under 14) had one of those " held up, try scenarios." .... On the weekend... And it went his teams way ... But ultimately u would have needed the video ref, to be 100%

Only suggestion is linesman should be on notice, to assist ...particularly for ones

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think that we are lucky to have "accredited" referees for the games.
On the weekend I watched two games involving First XV teams.
In one game there was a young child running the line, and when I say a child - he was 12 or 13 years old. He had poor judgement, he was influenced by the parents on the sideline, and he made numerous incorrect decisions. Fortunately none that influenced the result, but schools should (MUST) have experienced referees and linespeople to control the top games.
At the second game there were two students running the line. They may, or may not have been accredited - either way they should have been in a referees/linesperson's uniform.
At the top level (Opens) there are numerous "physical altercations" that may be fouls in their own right, or lead to a "loss of temper" and a punches thrown.
That is when you need a linesperson, and independent/neutral linesperson - and not a local student of the school.
That is when you need those extra set of "experienced" eyes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can I note that this round (across all schoolboy footy) has had criticism of referee performance. The Pats v Kinross game (ISA) and the Waverley v Knox (CAS) game seemed to have been decided by referee decisions. Snouts at the Shore v Scots game (GPS) report that the referee performance was sub-optimal.

Clearly we need more referees in our game, and these need to be of the highest calibre.

I look forward to hearing reports of a over-subscribed Referee and Assistant Referees courses as all those who are critical of match officials performances rush to get qualified so that they can contribute to reducing the number of incompetent and biased Referees and Assistant Referees in our game.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The refereeing display at St Aloysius/Trinity was about the worst I've ever seen. Not at all a biased performance, but not close to competent either. I appreciate it's hard to get refs for all the games. But Geez, this was a shocker.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
The incident (totally legal and accidental)which took no7 waves out of the Knox game on Saturday was the turning point. Stevens was dominant at the brake down. His ability to gain turnover ball was instrumental in getting Waverley to the front.
The CAS selectors snubbing him is a major loss to the team. His style of Hardman play at the ruck and maul could be well utilised against stronger Gps teams.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Sounds like it must have been a great defensive effort by Aloys only conceding 14 points to Trinity when the previous round (Rd5)they conceded 64 to Waverley, Rd4 34 to Knox and Rd 3 60 to Barker. Also in Rd5 Trinity scored 4 tries against Barker. So a huge week on week change.

See from the CAS web site that Barker 2nds lost their first game of the year by 8-0. Anyone see that game?

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sounds like it must have been a great defensive effort by Aloys only conceding 14 points to Trinity when the previous round (Rd5)they conceded 64 to Waverley, Rd4 34 to Knox and Rd 3 60 to Barker. Also in Rd5 Trinity scored 4 tries against Barker. So a huge week on week change.

Perhaps the post Barker round curse that everyone is talking about? It seems the only team to overcome it is Waverley - and they were playing the bottom placed, injury depleted alloys... and yes, the good news for CAS is that at least the 2nds competition will be a tight finish. It is very likely that Barker will be playing Knox at home for the decider of the 2nds competition. So turn up 75 minutes early to the Barker v Knox fixture for a cracker! The last game saw Barker score in the final play to win the game

Reactions: YR!
Status
Not open for further replies.