• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting your comments about Barker 2nd XV. Am I right in saying they are undefeated?

Not any more - Cranbrook beat them 8-0 on Saturday. In Rd 1 they beat Knox 12-10 with a converted try on the bell, hence the return match will have a lot to play for (Knox 2nd XV only loss for the year was that first match against Barker)

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree that the ref at the Aloys v Trinity game was baffling at best. He was a 19 year old from Western Australia.

Looking back at the game it must be difficult for Trinity to understand how they lost given the go forward their big forwards gave them. I think the problem was the No 10 was too deep and stationery when receiving the ball which gave his outside men little chance. Kotabalavu and Barkley-Brown seem to only attack when receiving kicks or passes straight from Whicker.

Aloys on the other hand made good use of their limited ball with good options all day. The trinity 11 kept jamming in giving Aloys the opportunity to go round them with quick long balls. The short lineout and defensive committment were also excellent.

The performance of Goodearl was once again inspiring. He took stitches out of the back of his own heel on the morning of the game but then could not put a boot on due to the pain so he folded the back of his boot under his foot and then taped the boot to his foot (looked like it must have been an ankle injury to everyone at the game) and was still the most dangerous player on the field.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The incident (totally legal and accidental)which took no7 waves out of the Knox game on Saturday was the turning point. Stevens was dominant at the brake down. His ability to gain turnover ball was instrumental in getting Waverley to the front.
The CAS selectors snubbing him is a major loss to the team. His style of Hardman play at the ruck and maul could be well utilised against stronger Gps teams.

If this player was as badly concussed as the reports suggest, he will be out of rugby for at least 3 weeks, and then on a graduated return to play.

CAS Representative selections are for two games this week (Tuesday vs GPS and Friday vs ISA). The selectors are never going to name a concussed player in a squad that has a shelf life of one week.

What they could do (assuming they believe the player was good enough to make the squad if fit) is what the Wobs do, and that is name those not considered due to injury.
This would give some form of tacit recognition to the boy.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
See from the CAS web site that Barker 2nds lost their first game of the year by 8-0. Anyone see that game?

Yes. and as a Barker watcher very surprised at the penalty count against Barker, and confirmed by the Cranbrook parents sitting near me by them saying','that they hope this ref is also doing the firsts"

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
What they could do (assuming they believe the player was good enough to make the squad if fit) is what the Wobs do, and that is name those not considered due to injury.
This would give some form of tacit recognition to the boy.

Correct, I know in GPS this happened a coupla years ago to Roods and this year to Davies

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree that the ref at the Aloys v Trinity game was baffling at best. He was a 19 year old from Western Australia.

Looking back at the game it must be difficult for Trinity to understand how they lost given the go forward their big forwards gave them. I think the problem was the No 10 was too deep and stationery when receiving the ball which gave his outside men little chance. Kotabalavu and Barkley-Brown seem to only attack when receiving kicks or passes straight from Whicker.

Aloys on the other hand made good use of their limited ball with good options all day. The trinity 11 kept jamming in giving Aloys the opportunity to go round them with quick long balls. The short lineout and defensive committment were also excellent.

The performance of Goodearl was once again inspiring. He took stitches out of the back of his own heel on the morning of the game but then could not put a boot on due to the pain so he folded the back of his boot under his foot and then taped the boot to his foot (looked like it must have been an ankle injury to everyone at the game) and was still the most dangerous player on the field.

Look, in the blog I posted I face up for G&G, so what I say here was best left unsaid. In the forum, I'm just a cartoon pig, so here goes.

There were at least 12 ruck infringements committed by the St Aloysius forwards in the first half. Actually there were many more, but I only started counting about ten minutes in. St Aloysius had a plan to stop the Trinity forwards rolling ahead by killing the ball at every breakdown. Now, you might think that a dozen penalties for essentially the same thing would earn you a yellow card, but no. It wasn't until after the fourth breakdown infringement by St Aloysius in the second half that the lock, Wilkinson, was sent for a ten-minute rest. At the next breakdown, there was another infringement. Penalty. But no more cards then or in the rest of the game. There was one bizarre moment when Trinity had a ruck on the St Aloysius goal line, and the home scrum half Thomas strolled around to get the ball as if he were the Trinity scrum half. Penalty, naturally. Yellow card? Nope.

Trinity had two yellow cards, Corias in the first half and substitute Innes in the second, both for rough play. As far as I could tell, these were justified. But the effect was that two isolated infringements were punished with the sin-bin, and repeated systematic infringement was allowed to continue with no greater sanction than a penalty.

The weirdest moment in the game came in the 68th minute, when one of the St Aloysius backs was penalised for offside. Up until that point, I had simply assumed that the referee didn't know what the offside rule was, because he hadn't applied it once even though St Aloysius' backs had never once been onside at a ruck or maul throughout the game.

Oh, there was more. He officiated in the first half in a shirt exactly the same colour as the St Aloysius jersey, which caused no end of confusion for both teams. All sorts of nonsense was tolerated at the lineouts. The second St Aloysius try was scored after Goodearl looped cleverly around his winger, then spilled the ball forward in a tackle: the inside centre Mytkowski touched down and was given the try despite the blatant knock on. I hate being critical of anyone here, and I hate being critical of referees, because the game can't exist without them. But this was a mess.

In my view, the biggest single factor in the result was that Trinity was never able to develop continuity because of the spoiling tactics the referee tolerated.

That said, what you say about the game is true. Trinity's backline formation puzzles me - it might work with a scrum half who has a great pass, but not with Whicker's service. Goodearl was excellent in attack, but did get steamrollered a couple of times in defence - McLean and Kotobalavu both ran straight ove rthe top of him. And St Aloysius made good use of the possession they had.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
This was repeated in the opening minutes of the First XV game with Tyson Davis violently stomping on the Cranbrook #13 which unfortunately went unseen by both the ref and the touchy. Easily a Red card if seen. Shame to see how low the Barker team stooped.
Tyson Davis stomping on somebody?... sure you got the right number? The kid is hardly the 'reckless aggressive' type

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tyson Davis stomping on somebody?. sure you got the right number? The kid is hardly the 'reckless aggressive' type
This is my exact point. People make allegations from hardly unbiased viewpoints, opinions differ wildly.
So just don't.
Any more "allegations" aired will be deleted, and if people can't take the hint, further action.

Hephaestion

Frank Row (1)
This is my exact point. People make allegations from hardly unbiased viewpoints, opinions differ wildly.
So just don't.
Any more "allegations" aired will be deleted, and if people can't take the hint, further action.
Never been more sure about anything. No doubt in my mind it was him. Wont make anymore allegations from now on.

Thomas Bailey

Frank Row (1)
2013 Representative season
Open CAS team to play GPS on Tuesday 18th June @ Knox 1 ( as of 16th June – 6.25pm )
1st XV – J McLean ( T ), N Koutsoukis ( W ), F Satui ( T ), B Heeney ( W ), L Akopian ( B ), N Burkett ( B ), B Van Zyl ( K ), R Powter ( W ), S Kirkby ( B ), D Smerdon ( B ), T Davis ( B ), D Stoltz ( B ), C Dove ( B ), E Ellwood-Hall ( B ), H Jones ( B ).
2nd XV – M Hooper ( W ), C Landry ( B ), P Cullen ( C ), H Middlebrook ( B ), P Kava ( W ), G Corias ( T ), H Summerhayes ( C ), T Hanson ( B ), B Whicker ( T ), B O’Donnell ( W ), J Paek ( K ), H Newby ( K ), J Bassett ( W ), R Barkley-Brown ( T ). Res - J Slack-Smith ( B ), J Horton-Patch ( C ), P Goodman ( K ), A Boulton ( K ), J Harvey ( C ), A MacDougall ( C ), C Ebeling ( T ) O Nelson ( C )
please refer to my posting earlier, thank you for your contribution, however, unnecessary

CAS Footy

Peter Burge (5)
Sounds like it must have been a great defensive effort by Aloys only conceding 14 points to Trinity when the previous round (Rd5)they conceded 64 to Waverley, Rd4 34 to Knox and Rd 3 60 to Barker. Also in Rd5 Trinity scored 4 tries against Barker. So a huge week on week change.

See from the CAS web site that Barker 2nds lost their first game of the year by 8-0. Anyone see that game?
2nds game was a real arm-wrestle, Barker won something like 30-0 in their first clash and you could see the determination in the cranbrook team to win with their defensive effort. Credit to both teams who played well in a very tough match.

Jonah Lomu

Frank Row (1)
the new fullback (Sebastian Field) and fly half (Carter Nicholas) for Knox had absolute blinders on the weekend, apparently these boys are in year 11 - can anyone confirm? if so the future is bright for knox

Paul James

Frank Row (1)
The 15 and the 10 are year 11 boys, I was delighted to see such passion from knox grammar school as they fought back from down 12 to win in a thriller by 2 points as the 15 knocked over the conversion to give them the lead by 2. After some strong goal line defense from the knox team, the whistle was blown and the ending scoreline was 31-29 as the knox team were victorious. Both year 11 boys showed up big time as they played key roles in this victory for knox. The future for knox is looking bright!

C.A.S rugby observer

Bob McCowan (2)
The incident (totally legal and accidental)which took no7 waves out of the Knox game on Saturday was the turning point. Stevens was dominant at the brake down. His ability to gain turnover ball was instrumental in getting Waverley to the front.
The CAS selectors snubbing him is a major loss to the team. His style of Hardman play at the ruck and maul could be well utilised against stronger Gps teams.
. I agree he was an absolute menace at the breakdown on the day and looked a handful for the Knox boys as he came off it looked as if the waverley boys just didnt contest at the break down allowing quick ball for the knox backline who were dominant all game and then taking control of the game in the last 10 mins. he would of been good to have in the cas team or atleast as a reserve..

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
Photos

A blog always looks better when there are a few photos in it. Maybe folks don't want to write anything but they may be interested in taking a few snaps and they can be added to what somebody else has written.

They don't have to be fancy - ones done on a phone camera are OK for things like a crowd scene or a lineout.

Or you could be a camera buff and have a you-beaut lense and can take action shots from far away.

Anybody really interested could send me a "conversation" or if you just want to make a general enquiry, just respond in this thread.

Thank you.

Sorry did not get this right last time i tried to send please update as needed

Attachments

• Cranbrook Barker 1(Autosaved).docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 397

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Obviously a very tough question without seeing a vast number of the possible players, but what are the thoughts on possible CAS picks in the NSW Schools side?

Also interesting to note Koutsoukis named captain for tomorrows fixture. I thought it could go the way of Stoltz, who was vice captain for the last match behind the now injured Williams. Perhaps they will change this for ISA.

Rugby Fanatic

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes. and as a Barker watcher very surprised at the penalty count against Barker, and confirmed by the Cranbrook parents sitting near me by them saying','that they hope this ref is also doing the firsts"[/
So just don't.
why dont the censors delete it now as they did a post on Sunday which made a general reference to crowd behaviour? doesnt seem fair that this boys name is slandered

Status
Not open for further replies.