• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's good to see that Usaia O is back in the union code.

He was a talented no.8 and got picked for Oz A Schools in 2009 but he got called up to the main side to play against Tonga Schools.

He was one of those forwards who "had all the skills" though he was agressive enough for his weight (only 85kgs).

I often wondered where he would fit in as a senior player because it looked like he wouldn't be a big enough man to play pro rugby.

Later I found out that he went to league so I lost interest.

There are a lot of lads who played at a high level in schools rugby union who went to league who came back to it when they couldn't get a gig beyond U/20s in league.

Can anybody recall anybody who came back from the Dark Side after being in Oz Schools or Oz A, or was a top player for his school, and couldn't get beyond U/20 in league - yet played Super Rugby when they came back?

Berrick Barnes wouldn't qualify because I know that Wayne Bennett wanted to keep him at the Broncos - and I believe that Rod Davies (another IGS lad) came back to union because Chris Latham was going overseas, but the Broncs wanted to keep him too, if I remember right.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
It's good to see that Usaia O is back in the union code.

He was a talented no.8 and got picked for Oz A Schools in 2009 but he got called up to the main side to play against Tonga Schools.

He was one of those forwards who "had all the skills" though he was agressive enough for his weight (only 85kgs).

I often wondered where he would fit in as a senior player because it looked like he wouldn't be a big enough man to play pro rugby.

Later I found out that he went to league so I lost interest.

There are a lot of lads who played at a high level in schools rugby union who went to league who came back to it when they couldn't get a gig beyond U/20s in league.

Can anybody recall anybody who came back from the Dark Side after being in Oz Schools or Oz A and couldn't get beyond U/20 in league - yet played Super Rugby?

Berrick Barnes wouldn't qualify because I know that Wayne Bennett wanted to keep him at the Broncos - and I believe that Rod Davies (another IGS lad) came back to union because Chris Latham was going overseas, but the Broncs wanted to keep him too.
Played in the back row at Trinity , but injured when he looked like gaining a spot for Oz schoolboys in 2011 & missed a lot of time.In the centres for Wests colts , then on the wing for Easts u20's league.Noticed he was on the bench for Easts first grade league at the start of this season.
Scored a lot of tries in the U 20's.
Back in the centres for West Harbour union.

Alofa Alofa did something similar , i.e. good schoolboy player , was a top player with Wests colts , went to Newtown/Easts rugby league ,now back with West Harbour this year & I believe is the top try scorer in the Shute Shield currently.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Usaia played from the bench for Oz Schools in 2009 v. Tonga Schools at Riverview, when no.8 Matt Ika was injured and Waita Setu moved up to the starting team.

In case folks think I have a great memory, I don't: I wrote the remarks in my programme.

It's interesting to note who else was on the Oz bench that day: Scott Sio and Kyle Godwin.

So, he played in the backs in league and does now in union. Makes sense: he always looked like a back playing in the forwards when I saw him play for CAS.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Usaia played from the bench for Oz Schools in 2009 v. Tonga Schools at Riverview, when no.8 Matt Ika was injured and Waita Setu moved up to the starting team.

In case folks think I have a great memory, I don't: I wrote the remarks in my programme.

It's interesting to note who else was on the Oz bench that day: Scott Sio and Kyle Godwin.

So, he played in the backs in league and does now in union. Makes sense: he always looked like a back playing in the forwards when I saw him play for CAS.
Sorry I should have said 2010 not 2011 .He was still at school that year & would likely have made Oz schools but missed most of the year with injury.
On recovering he played the remainder of the year with Wests colts & was a Wests junior previously.
You're correct re his size , & he hasn't grown much bigger whilst in league surprisingly.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The weight I mentioned - 85kgs - was his 2009 weight when he was U/17 qualified; so he'd have to be more than that now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
At this stage I am doubtful for any - a family do to attend. But if I can get away from that I may wander to Trinity.

Let's have a report if you can make it Elfster.

The same goes for anybody else who is going to a game, you don't have to be experienced like Elfster or Snort - send me a convo with a full report, or just write it here it it's a short one.

Or if anybody has a photo of any game let me know and I can add it in.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Were all the games called off yesterday?

Any results?

Unfortunately I was at a family do yesterday, the highlight of which was that the cask wine was only of the 2 litre variety and not a 4 litre box monster of tooth enamel stripping liquid whose vintage is a bar code and not a year. The catering of various Elfster family (read sisters') efforts are memorably undistinguished.

But that aside I was hoping to see the Trinity/ Knox game.

But the results are:

Trinity 20 defeated Knox 17. Can't say much of the game - the feel from the game from the sport's results of the Sunday paper is much like divining from the entrails of various small animals. Somewhat problematic. But as Knox scored three tries to two, it was possibly a exciting game to watch at the end. As close games invariably are - the closeness of the final result nullifying most other adverse factors. Knox beat Trinity 8-49 to 0-11 in the tennis. Sorry, wrong part of the paper. Of more interest to rugby. Knox got up 24 -20 in the seconds. Though the result was probably expected in the 2nds, the closeness of the score is surprising.

Barker continued their merry way with a 54 - 14 victory over the hapless Aloys. Eight tries to two. By the look of the scorers the backs got plenty, so the break hasn't appeared to have disrupted Barker too much. One must feel for Aloys, but they have put some tries on Barker. Something some of the more fancied sides haven't achieved, so good on them. One must admire their spirit. The seconds went to Barker 47 to nil. Using the word 'quite' in quite convincing to Barker is probably an understatement.

Waverley defeated Cranbrook 24 to 6. Three tries to nil. The seconds went to Cranbrook 19 - 18. Which went against the grain in the 1sts and 2nds not having the same result. Cranbrook went into this season with high hopes, which I believe have been cruelled (that spelling looks bad........) by injury. However though the results of the 1sts may be disappointing, the strength of the seconds is a good sign. I think that is where the resurgence of Cranbrook may be. Building up depth, surely a good portent for the future.

The Guardian

Bob McCowan (2)
Elfster. Don't know how you would think a Knox V Trinity game would result in a predictable score with Trinity winning. This is a game that neither team likes to lose, and considering Knox beat Waverley and were coming off a 3 game winning streak, I think you should acknowledge the Trinity win, as hard fought and well deserved.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Elfster. Don't know how you would think a Knox V Trinity game would result in a predictable score with Trinity winning. This is a game that neither team likes to lose, and considering Knox beat Waverley and were coming off a 3 game winning streak, I think you should acknowledge the Trinity win, as hard fought and well deserved.
The Guardian,

I think we may be at cross purposes. My bad, I wasn't quite precise. My statement re the closeness of the score was for the 2nds. When they previously met Knox won 45 -7. Thus the result of the seconds, was probably predictable, but good on the Trinity boys for getting far closer this time.

As for the firsts, indeed well done the Trinity firsts. Two victories against Knox this year and I think based on recent years, they are actually up on Knox in terms of firsts results.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
seems like, with Barker's dominance, a lot of interest has evaporated from CAS rugby, relatively early in season

if my mail is correct Waverley 1sts had a broken leg, and the big 13 also left the field ... so next weeks Barker game, is not looking good

[Deleted portion]

on the positive side good to see Trinity pulling an upset, and Aloys at least putting some points on Barker

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Waverley 24 def Cranbrook 6.

A clean game played in good spirit by both sides in my opinion.
Scoreline perhaps a bit more flattering to Waverley than they deserved. Two run away tries to Ben O'Donnel were very much against the run of play and ended any hopes Cranbrook had.
Terrible Ankle injury to Waverley number 3 (Ben Gan) caused Powter (normally W 8 but in 23) come off bench despite training injury. Shoulder injury to a Cranbrook player (did not see number sorry) at the same time. Smirnotis (W 13) off with leg issue in 2nd half - no word how serious.
Some disruption to allow the ambulance access but no excuse to either team.

Waverley obviously the poorer for no games over the break. No doubt coaches will be cracking the whip this week. Cranbrook a better team than round 1 but still with work to do.

Interesting result in the Trinity v Knox game. well done Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.