• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looking forward to seeing the season get underway on the 4th of may! I cant help but feel this talk of Barker's strength is much similar to the hype about trinity this time last year. Of course, they have come off the back of a winning season and have scored an amazing new talent in Harry Jones (who I've heard played a bit of Australian schoolboys last year?), but I wouldn't be too hasty in declaring them as outright winners at this stage. They have lost their no.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, and 14 from the winning side last year. These include pederson, edney, jenkins, naude, marais, haltmeier, flaherty, and of course tom wilson (Edney went out due to injury early last year and was replaced for the rest of the season by slack-smith, who was quite good as a fill-in but no comparison to the talent of edney). All of these players either played at CAS first grade level (at some point) or higher (pederson and jenkins played NSW and Wilson played schoolboys).

This is a major drawback particularly in the forward pack. In fact, for the second rowers, (from what I'm told) there was not a year 11 replacement (other than akopian who played 3rds) until the 4ths. Of the 6 props from 1sts - 3rds, 4 of them were year 12 and Tom Wilson (no.2) will not at all be easily replaced. Essentially, this means that the excellent depth that Barker had the luxury of last year is completely gone - especially in the forwards. Knox fields a much greater depth this year, and i've heard that their current year 12's have a strong forward pack... Also, if trinity can even field a forward pack that is anywhere near the strength as last years, they're in with a shot.

Even after all that said I'd put my money on Barker, but not my house. With the return of Stoltz, Davis, Smerdon, and the new inclusion of jones, they really do have one of the best back line's CAS has seen for a while. I would not at all doubt Knox despite their disappointing season last year. The games between barker and knox are always close anyway, both teams just lift for the occasion. Over the past two years neither has been beaten at home even though in 2011 Knox was undoubtedly a far stronger team and vice versa in 2012. The May 4 result will be interesting (played at Knox home) and will provide an insight into how the rest of the 2013 season will unfold

This talk of a strong Cranbrook side is encouraging. It would be good to see the school consistently producing a few upsets against the other schools that have dominated over the past decade.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
george ayoub actually works at trinity

George Ayoub refereed the St Patrick's/Trinity game. George works at Trinity but went to St Pats (I seem to remember him running round as 1st XV scrum-half in the early 80s), so either he was neutral, or both schools think he was biased.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
George Ayoub refereed the St Patrick's/Trinity game. George works at Trinity but went to St Pats (I seem to remember him running round as 1st XV scrum-half in the early 80s), so either he was neutral, or both schools think he was biased.
Opps my mistake - I thought he was at St. Pats - he does move around the schools with work, he was at Joeys for a while...

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Knox barker clash looks to be big. as barker will look to get some revenge from the disappointing 1 point loss to Knox last season. removing the title of undefeated premiers.

However Knox will put up a big fight because.. well.. they sucked last season. - I heard they are doing 5 training sessions a week? anyone confirm?

Reactions: YR!

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Knox barker clash looks to be big. as barker will look to get some revenge from the disappointing 1 point loss to Knox last season. removing the title of undefeated premiers.

However Knox will put up a big fight because.. well.. they sucked last season. - I heard they are doing 5 training sessions a week? anyone confirm?

I agree. Knox will be too strong and too well trained this year. Whilst Barker will be competitive, I think they will miss Wilson's leadership and the cheerleader (crazy red fever guy?).

I can also confirm that knox have been training at least 5 times this year. I think the mighty ol' black and blue will be cheering come May 4.

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
I understand there are a few School Trials this comimg Saturday- anyone know of details?

Knox are playing St Pat's Strathfield this Saturday in all A grades, 2nd XV and 1st XV. All games are at St Pat's fields, with the 1st XV match been played at 11:15 on Breen Oval (main)

double v 2

Frank Row (1)
Waverley defeated St Pats 32-27. From what im told their trip to Queensland was quite successful with two wins and a very close loss in the dying minutes to a team that beat knox soundly a few days before. Perhaps there is more to Waverley this year than their first two matches have shown. It is also known that they have been missing a few players throughout these matches

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree, Waverley looked good this morning at QP against pats. Pats have a strong pack and the game could have gone either way in the second half.

Have been told they had a good trip in QLD with an offside try allowed in the final minute of play to lose their only game.

Their captain is out with an ankle injury which is a big blow and looks like they are trying out some combinations in the back line. The #9 and #10 are linking up really well and if they continue to build on this, these 2 boys will split the opposition defence. #7 has been solid over the last couple of games.

I think the #10 played for NSW last year and have been told the #9 is still in Yr10, came up from the 15 A's last year.

Will play trinity in the first game of the season at home which should be a belter.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Cranbrook 1st - 38
Collingwood 1st - 7

Cranbrook 2nd - 91
Collingwood 2nd - 0

What is a collingwood, and where do they come from - I have never heard of them in Rugby Circles before - but that is probably my fault - not theirs.... Have they been trialing against CAS Schools for a while?

Loucentre

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox 45 St Pats 12

Knox were definetly the better team, playing expansive yet structured rugby. Number 8 for Knox (don't know names) was a stand out for Know as well as the outside centre and numer 14.

After seeing St Pats play Trinity, Waverely and knox, it would be quite easy for me to say that knox are by far the most competitive team in both 1's and 2's. Although not knowing the in's and out's of the reputable Barker and Cranbrook sides this season, Knox will go very close to taking CAS honours.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
1 week away from the first round! Going to be some good games happening all through CAS.
All schools will be pushing to get barker off the ranks this season after last season.
but at the end of the day Footy is the reall winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.