• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyway probably not a lot of point arguing referring decisions.at the end of the day it was a great game and neither side really deserved to lose.

And for a bit of fun - is the Silver Arrow a bit tarnished now that news of their secret tyre test has emerged? :)

Absolutely a great game and the arrows are coming back big time! Nothing to see here, no illegal testing...

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
So I got 3/3 for the first time last week. Lets see if I can do it again...

My thoughts for this weekends 'match of the round' are that barker will come back strong against trinity after last weeks performance, with the forwards in particular having trained hard... Trinity, having found some form, will put up a good fight in the forwards - especially in the first half. However, as was the same with Waverley, they will be completely outclassed in the backs. Barker to win by around 7

Waverley will be tired this week having put up a big fight but I don't see an aloys side, with 2 of their key players unfit, causing an upset... I'm going to guess that the game will be closer than expected with Waverley getting up by around a 7-15 point margin

Cranbrook have had a pretty hard run this season with all their injuries and I think it's just got a little bit worse for them as Knox have started scoring points, and scoring big... With over 50 points scored in their last two games I don't expect it to stop with cranbrook. I think Knox will run up a cricket score... Expecting a lot of tries from paek if he gets enough ball

Openside

Stan Wickham (3)
Cas 1st XV - Wont be 100% correct, however I believe the strongest assets of the two top teams (Barker and Waverley) should be implemented as the core of the team, the rest being fulfilled by the notable strengths from Knox, Trinity, Aloys and Cranbrook First XV's. I think some of the positioning is off, but this is how I expect it to shape.
1 McLean (T) / Hooper (W)
2 koutsoukis (W)
3 satiu (T)
4 Williams (A)
5 Heeney, (W)
6 Burkett (B) / Summer Hayes (C)
7 O'connor (W)
8 Powter (W)
9 Whicker (T)
10 O'donnell
11 Peak (K)
12 Stoltz (B)
13 Vevers (A)
14 Davis (B)
15 Jones (B)
2nd XV - Hmm
1 Slack-Smith (B)
2 Klennen (B)
3 Gan (W)
4 Akopian (B) Hooper (W)
5 Boulton (K)
6 Burkett (B) Summerhayes (C)
7 Stevens (W)
8 Moala (T) or Van Zyl (K)
9 Kirkby (B)
10 Smerdon (B)
11 Elwood-Hall (B)
12 Newby (K) or Ebeling (T)
13 Wylie (C)
14 Bassett (W)
15 Barkley-Brown (T)

Reactions: YR!

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Do people really think that odonnel played better than smerdon on the weekend? I must be blind because I swear I saw smerdon score a try in the first half and then break the line to set up the match winner.. I also thought smerdon to be absolutely outstanding in defence (nothing got past him in his channel) this was opposed to odonnel who was quiet all game and nowhere near as admirable in defence... Perhaps I'm colour blind? Do barker wear red or blue?

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Cas 1st XV - Wont be 100% correct, however I believe the strongest assets of the two top teams (Barker and Waverley) should be implemented as the core of the team, the rest being fulfilled by the notable strengths from Knox, Trinity, Aloys and Cranbrook First XV's. I think some of the positioning is off, but this is how I expect it to shape.
1 McLean (T) / Hooper (W)
2 koutsoukis (W)
3 satiu (T)
4 Williams (A)
5 Heeney, (W)
6 Burkett (B) / Summer Hayes (C)
7 O'connor (W)
8 Powter (W)
9 Whicker (T)
10 O'donnell
11 Peak (K)
12 Stoltz (B)
13 Vevers (A)
14 Davis (B)
15 Jones (B)
2nd XV - Hmm
1 Slack-Smith (B)
2 Klennen (B)
3 Gan (W)
4 Akopian (B) Hooper (W)
5 Boulton (K)
6 Burkett (B) Summerhayes (C)
7 Stevens (W)
8 Moala (T) or Van Zyl (K)
9 Kirkby (B)
10 Smerdon (B)
11 Elwood-Hall (B)
12 Newby (K) or Ebeling (T)
13 Wylie (C)
14 Bassett (W)
15 Barkley-Brown (T)

I think you've pretty much got it right. I think Slack-Smith is a good chance for Ist XV however.

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
2nds
1 gan
2 Kennan
3 bleach
4 brokowski
5 king
6 o Connor
7 storey
8 powter, summerhayes
9 Kirkby
10 (B)
11 stals
12 ebeling
13 vevers
14 Davis
15 Barkley brown

Interesting to see you've taken a gamble on Kennan. Yet to have a major impact, but I feel he definitely would not be out of place in the side.

Openside

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes. I forgot about Slack-Smith. I think my reasoning for O'Donnel over Smerdon, is his value for the team. He has a good running and passing game that suits the model of the CAS 1st XV with the likes of Stoltz and Vevers outside him, would perhaps create as much if not more than what Smerdon could provide. It's a close one, however O'donnell did play CAS 2s last year maybe that gives him "the edge"

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Do people really think that odonnel played better than smerdon on the weekend? I must be blind because I swear I saw smerdon score a try in the first half and then break the line to set up the match winner.. I also thought smerdon to be absolutely outstanding in defence (nothing got past him in his channel) this was opposed to odonnel who was quiet all game and nowhere near as admirable in defence. Perhaps I'm colour blind? Do barker wear red or blue?

We shouldn't base this on just the one game. If you were to do that with other players there is quite a few who would be dropped from the various lists. O'Donnell is aan outstanding player and has been a fantastic playmaker for Waverley. He didn't have a great game on Sat but neither did some from Red: eg the star that dropped several balls and let through Waves 2nd try. For what its worth I think O'Donnel has got to be in the mix based on form in all games bar last week.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
We shouldn't base this on just the one game. If you were to do that with other players there is quite a few who would be dropped from the various lists. O'Donnell is aan outstanding player and has been a fantastic playmaker for Waverley. He didn't have a great game on Sat but neither did some from Red: eg the star that dropped several balls and let through Waves 2nd try. For what its worth I think O'Donnel has got to be in the mix based on form in all games bar last week.

I don't have any doubt that O'Donnell is under consideration. You could pick either him or Smerdon and not be wrong, and whoever is chosen to run on, you can bet the other will get a run at some stage of the CHS game. I'd lean towards Smerdon mainly because I'd pick most of the Barker backline around him.

Robert Lowell

Bob McCowan (2)
I think you may be underestimating Klennan. Do not rule him out. He is an adaptable player. Wouldn't be surprised to perhaps see him at 7 or even 8.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)

This isn't based on one game. It's based on pretty much every game this season, I just think that the game in which the two guys faced each other off would give the best scope on the issue... I'm sure the cas selectors felt the same way.

This isn't personal or an attack on odonnel, I think he's a great player - did very well against trinity and was a standout last season. But previous comments have said he played CAS 2s last year and I think that's where he'll probably find himself again this season. Smerdon played for barker 1sts last year but was only 16 and played in the CAS under 16 side just in case anyone was wondering what his credentials are.

Andrew Daley

Frank Row (1)
Smerdon was a late addition into the Sydney U16 team and also in the ngs this year.
Looking forward to the team lists being announced. I think Kirkby is a big contender for either 1's or 2's. Will be good to see how he matches up again Whitaker on saturday

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Smerdon was a late addition into the Sydney U16 team and also in the ngs this year.
Looking forward to the team lists being announced. I think Kirkby is a big contender for either 1's or 2's. Will be good to see how he matches up again Whitaker on saturday

I was unaware of this... It seems that it has done a world of good for his game because he had dramatically improved since last season

jimbellows

Bob McCowan (2)
Matt Williams is a good guys, but his track record, with very talented rosters is terrible. I think the Knox hierarchy have piad way too much for someone without a winning past. I guess he is lucky that he is valued in this way. Good coin for a 4th grade Wests player

Wrong job for him. Players over coached, over analysed and over pressured. Parents say study is suffering and morale low. Players expected to perform like professionals as his reputation is on the line. Sounds like a big mistake, no doubt they will be buying players next.

Status
Not open for further replies.