• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
Similarly Stolz(12) played well, it's a shame he had to go off in the second half, does anybody know what happened?
his lip and face took a severe blow,ironically not by the two big centres but by a few of the forward this resulted in a bit of blurred vision was taken off at half time as he would not come off during play.this will result in him + a few more not being able to play for the next 7 days as per the new rules, I believe he is very upset

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Other interesting observation was how easily Davis (CAS11) was contained. Several times in the 2nd half he received the ball with plenty of space on the outside. At CAS games this year that spelled "try time" (Davis has scored a lot of tries this year). The GPS backs were easily able to contain him, in fact they made him look slow. The GPS backs communicated well in defence and when breaks did happen they closed it down easily with their speed.

I don't think it's speed but Davis certainly has an issue. This is something that I have been saying since the boy was picked to play in the 2011 1st XV side - even if you look at much of my posts last year I didn't really rate the kid, but he has certainly improved beyond sight this year. My theory is simple - he is very easily read, especially when he tries to beat players on the outside. The way he's going to run/step/attempt to break a tackle can be seen about 3 seconds before contact (in the case of someone like Jones this happens about 1 second before contact). Obviously, for a winger, this is a very important aspect of the game seeing as being 'unpredictable' is their method of beating the player (much different to the methods of a prop for instance).

The better his opposition, the more it impedes on his game, as you noticed in the GPS game and probably the Waverley vs Barker match if you were there.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds like it must have been a great defensive effort by Aloys only conceding 14 points to Trinity when the previous round (Rd5)they conceded 64 to Waverley, Rd4 34 to Knox and Rd 3 60 to Barker. Also in Rd5 Trinity scored 4 tries against Barker. So a huge week on week change.
It's a pity that the defence relied upon ruck infringements, being continually offside and the referee missing just about all of these.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
I don't think it's speed but Davis certainly has an issue. This is something that I have been saying since the boy was picked to play in the 2011 1st XV side - even if you look at much of my posts last year I didn't really rate the kid, but he has certainly improved beyond sight this year.....

Think you are being a bit tough. He has scored 10 tries in 6 games, which i'm guessing makes him the leading try scorer in the competition. Agreed, Waverley was the only game he has not scored. Barker had a lot less ball that game due to excellent play of Waverley forwards. When Davis did see some ball the Waverley defence was able to show him the sideline, slide, and herd him in touch. I think top speed was the reason - Waverley knew that pattern would work on him; Davis has a big step off his left foot but the defender normally positioned inside that line to deny the step. They did not fear his top speed so happily showed him the outside.

Maybe we analyse too much looking for fault? Wingers need to score tries and he certainly does that. In the GPS game he didn't play badly, he was just well covered by top class opponents.

bigkiwi

Frank Row (1)
A great game overall. I agree Kellaway had one of the best games I have seen him play this season alone, yet I can't get past your comment about Stoltz passion being as prominent as you make out to be. Unfortunately id say much to the contrary, his lack of involvement in the second half only furthers this. Impressive first half however, strong player, but still lacking the commitment to the game.

You must be joking mate, first hit up of the game stoltz takes into the two big gps centres and drives them back a good 5m and all game he fronted up to defend them and take the inside crash balls. as for his his disappearance in the second half that tends to happen when you get concussed so your argument for his passion is not valid.

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)
You must be joking mate, first hit up of the game stoltz takes into the two big gps centres and drives them back a good 5m and all game he fronted up to defend them and take the inside crash balls. as for his his disappearance in the second half that tends to happen when you get concussed so your argument for his passion is not valid.

Heard Stoltz played the last 13 minutes of the first half with concussion but stayed on. Coaches (correctly) wouldn't let him back out when they learned he had blurred vision. "Lacking commitment" - if i write what i think of that comment i suspect the moderators will delete the post....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That will have to rule him out for tomorrow, surely?
It must be very disheartening for all the boys that have been ruled out through injury.
Thankfully, they are appear to be limited to only a few this year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
May I make a modest proposal?

Let's leave off discussing which schoolboys have "passion" and which do not.

"Passion" is how Rugby League commentators describe an unprovoked punch on the jaw, or how soccer commentators describe a player who fouls an opponent and then screams at the referee for ten minutes. Let them keep the word.

Also, it's an unhelpful measure of describing how a player performs. Let's say you're a centre and you go ten minutes in a game without receiving a pass. Did you lack "passion" in those ten minutes, or just opportunity?

Two of my favourite Rugby players to watch were Mark Ella and Stephen Larkham. Watching them, "passion" wouldn't be the first word that came to mind. They looked calm, relaxed and fantastically skillful - but none of that would ever lead me to question their commitment. It's just ridiculous to pretend to be able to analyse a player's level of commitment to the game or his team from this kind of superficial observation.

I feel strongly about this, yes. But not passionate.

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Is anyone heading too Curagol tomorrow?

I would be happy to do a match report for CAS II vs AICES.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I will be there - if I get time to write a report I will, but most likely won't be able to. No promises!

Robert Lowell

Bob McCowan (2)
If you care to check back in Knox history, every U14,U15 and U16 team has been undefeated until they hit the open level. Boys develop and change so you can't say that the current Under 14 boys will still be playing 1st team rugby next year. There are some very small boys in the lower teams. If they don't grow they will be devoured when they get to open level. Team members are selected by strength, size, weight and fitness at that stage.

You're right about that Rumble. I believe the year 12 age group for Barker this year had a substandard team all the way through till u16s where they beat Knox for the first time ever. It really is a testament to how hard work and commitment mainly pre and off season pays off on the rugby pitch. Barker can really be commended for that and that's probably why they're taking this year by storm.

BlueandRed

Frank Row (1)
Have never seen Davis play for Barker but have seen him at Athletics. He is a great Javelin and Discus thrower. Excellent upper body strength as well as the legs. Has he ever been tried as a flanker? Could imagine him as a good open side.

Rumble

Bob McCowan (2)
Have never seen Davis play for Barker but have seen him at Athletics. He is a great Javelin and Discus thrower. Excellent upper body strength as well as the legs. Has he ever been tried as a flanker? Could imagine him as a good open side.

Yes a few of the boys in the 1st rugby teams have had really good athletics careers. Van Zyl (CAS I) has had an impressive shot put and discus career as have some of the other forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.