• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Trinity were very average today. expected a lot more from them. Saying this, Stannies were fluent in many parts of their game today. Notable players were #13, #7 and #9 but really the team as a whole must be commended. Trinity have an upcoming game against St. Pat's which is always a thriller. Hopefully Trinity can put up more of a fight against Pat's.

You flatter Trinity by promoting them to "average". It will be a long season for the Green Men if they don’t sort out some of their combinations a bit better. As to more fight – please no – Trinity XVs have been notorious over the years for losing the plot & lacking discipline.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting day from a CAS perspective: Augustines had a big win over Waverley, Stannies a solid win over Trinity and Oakhill defeating Barker. On the plus side, Alos defeated Pius and Knox a big win over Newington and Cranbrook over Shore.

Knox and CRanbrook looking good - the rest?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Interesting day from a CAS perspective: Augustines had a big win over Waverley, Stannies a solid win over Trinity and Oakhill defeating Barker. On the plus side, Alos defeated Pius and Knox a big win over Newington and Cranbrook over Shore.

Knox and CRanbrook looking good - the rest?

Don't read too much into early season trial form. Certainly Waves, Trinity & Barker might have expected better but Shore & Newington are probably not the 2 GPS Rugby schools to make others quake in their boots. All that aside - Knox would have to be shaping as favourites - but in 16s last year they were stopable & I can't recall their 2nds forms from 2013.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone have a final score for Knox v Newington. Also what was Knox's 1sts line up?

I am not sure of yesterday's team. It looked a little different from the sides that played Marist Canberra and Joeys.

The games are still trial matches and it is early in the season, but the improvement the team showed from the Joey's game should please the coaching stuff. They must have learnt from that loss. However they are still leak more penalties than desirable and don't have the clinical precision nor understanding of the game of Joeys. Knox are playing smart rugby dumbly rather than dumb rugby smartly.

However they did put on a good show. Their number had a good strong game and their backs showed some potency. Though they let in a few tries their defence was good also.

I am not sure how many of the first pick Newington players were out, but the newington team did play as if it was their first game. They lacked direction, especially in attack. Their forwards toiled hard, good in the pick and drive and were big and strong. They had some good players (a break away 7? and the 9 and 10), but didn't show a great deal of finesse. I imagine that will come. The depth of Newington could be a concern, their ends were soundly beaten.
The ref did make some bewildering decisions and was probably a little too whistle happy, but I thought he was consistent and din't affect the result of the game. We may bag refs, but if they weren't there we wouldn't have a game.

One thing about Newington not having their athletes, Knox were missing their cadets. Though probably a higher proportion of athletes may play rugby, 700 kids gone missing from year 9 must also have an impact.

It was probably also a bit hot and humid to play the game at a constant high level, but both sides showed considerable intensity for a trial and put on some enjoyable rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What Trial matches are going on during the School Holidays?

Who is heading overseas/interstate?

What overseas/interstate Schools are inbound?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
While you can't read too much into trials, they often provide an indication as to how a team/school is building. Reasonably rare for teams who are getting flogged in trials to come out and reverse that in the season.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
While you can't read too much into trials, they often provide an indication as to how a team/school is building. Reasonably rare for teams who are getting flogged in trials to come out and reverse that in the season.

Though it is quite common for teams with good pre-season form to lose that during the season! One of those little mysteries...

william_wolfgang

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox's trial form seems to back up my earlier predictions of an undefeated season. If sportsbet had odds on CAS I think they would beat what the roosters are paying for a premiership of $4.50. Outright favourites.

Kingbrandanhart

Bob McCowan (2)
In trinitys 2nds team they have 3/4 CAS sprinting relay team in their back line . With the likes of Rohan browning will their speed be enough to make up for their lack of execution?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What has happened at Waverley?
They were competitive in less than a handful of games last weekend.
Is there a stack of kids still engaged in athletics or something?
I have never seen so many teams getting so badly beaten.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
What has happened at Waverley?
They were competitive in less than a handful of games last weekend.
Is there a stack of kids still engaged in athletics or something?
I have never seen so many teams getting so badly beaten.

my sources have informed me that a complete lack of depth (many of their senior, representative, and experienced players have left) accompanied by the change in coach has led to their current unfavourable position. Don't write them off just yet, there's never an easy game at death valley

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
my sources have informed me that a complete lack of depth (many of their senior, representative, and experienced players have left) accompanied by the change in coach has led to their current unfavourable position. Don't write them off just yet, there's never an easy game at death valley

Agreed I have also heard that Waverley is also loosing a number of applicants each year based on falling HSC results - any school can go through this trouble at some stage though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not just talking about the thrashing they received in the 1's.
That was the theme of the day,most games were 50+.
The 14b's won,the 16a's were competitive until the game was called off early,but every other game I heard about was a "no contest".

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

Why so much change?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
re Waverley .... I think there are a number of factors

first of all of the Catholic Schools have gone from a position where many of the teaching staff (brothers) were unpaid, to a position where suddenly they have to contend with having to pay much more in wages

word has it, that Joeys was supposedly almost broke, when Tarlinton took the reigns .... full credit to him, with what he has done

then you have Scots factor, where their success (and dollars) has started attracting kids away from Waves ... I could give a long list

then you have the shoestring budget that Waverley rugby operates on ... compare that to Shore where they are currently raising $ for "Shore Foundation", to celebrate 125 years (and to support sporting progammes), whatever you think of them, they sure can raise capital

then you have the headmaster ... by all account Paxton is doing his best to improve their academic results ... compare that to former Waverley headmasters who had far more interest in sport

so yes on the face of it you can look at an Auggies v Waverley match up, and think yes 2 similar schools (similar fees, similar student size)... but that ignores the Tim Cleary factor ... he has an excellent reputation ... and certainly has a big interest in sport/rugby

... from I can see, waverley is being hit by a perfect storm of financial pressures, student poaching, academic pressures, shifting "heamaster" focus, weak internal fund raising, reliance on council grounds, minimal equipment etc

so definitely see Waverley rugby having some challenges, but don't right them off ...one of the beauties of rugby, it is great leveller ... you might have the best gym, the best paid coaching staff, the biggest student body, the largest school boy video scoreboard (in Southern hemisphere), the most formidable rugby programme etc ... but you might still get done, by a rag-bag dad's army of kids

and for one I hope to see Waves bounce back

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nope,don't buy it.
Waverley have been playing Auggies for the past 6 odd years. The difference this year to past years is staggering.
It hasn't been a gradual process,it's like Waverley Rugby has fallen off a cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.